The unofficial GUN talk thread

Nate

Founding Father
Picked this up today...

20130613_154502_zps1324d201.jpg

inski

Kind of toying with the idea of a Noreen .50bmg............ Id have to sell my Tommy gun to do it, but that .50 is so much fun...
I think ammo prices are decreasing for .50 and .338Lapua.  

Picked this up today...

20130613_154502_zps1324d201.jpg
What length barrel?  Does that fit in your pocket?  Sock?  Let me know where you're getting .38spl.  I'm getting dangerously low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
It's a snub nose 1.75" barrel. Smith&Wesson 642 Talo. I don't carry it in the pocket, I have a leather holster and a kydex holster. I'll get some pics up soon if the new VZ grips it's wearing now and the leather holster. I'll shoot it some then do a full APEX trigger job on it.

I have about 400 rounds of 38, all FMJ. I bought it at places on the interweb. Never spent more then $18/ box shipped.

inski

Yup, looks a lot better for handling with those grips.

Scored 200rnds of 9mm at WallyWorld at a very good price. Finally.  Time for some practice.

i-wagon

I still need.40, but the only reason I could afford the 22's was that I quit smoking a few weeks ago. Marlboros are expensive. Much savings

Nate

Founding Father
Finally took the Smith out to the range this morning to blast off 50 rounds after the Apex DUTY/CARRY trigger kit was installed.  Did some polishing and stoning while I was in there.  Nice smooth 8lbs pull.  LOVE that little thing.  It's now cleaned up, loaded with some +p with an extra Bianchi speed strip in the pocket. 

i-wagon

I've been thinking about a mini revolver for the summer.feel in love with the lcr I held at a local shop. Had to tear down the inlaws Marlin 60 earlier, supposed to be semi auto, was acting like a straight pull bolt. Had piles of debris fall out of it >.< luckily I have one of my own and knew how to service it

smelt240

Im headed down to our local "range"   2 boxes of military match .308... time to see what the new DPMS can do compared to the Armalite.   AR10 vs Ar10.    should be interesting. My buddy just picked up a .300 win. mag bolt gun, he wants to play too. I hate shooting lefty, but I don't want to hurt my arm yet.... Ill throw the bipods over the hood of the OBS.   $400 shooting bench!

Nate

Founding Father
That G-10 looks fantastic! Where did you get them?
They are much better looking in person.  I think the flash didn't do them justice.  Made them look speckled.  You can see a nice grain to them.  They are VZ grips.  Check them out.  I have a set for my 1911 also.  Very worth the money.

inski

Possibly might start another AR build.  6x45mm.  Seems like a pretty sensible round for what I need to do with it.  This might take awhile due to me being totally broke. yuck.  Long story short, its a .243 bullet loaded in a .223 case.  Same AR lower, mags, and upper.  Only the barrel has to be 6x45mm specific.

i-wagon

I don't have experience with the caliber in an ar, but my sister uses 6.8 spc (G2 contender) dropped her deer one shot last year. Very little recoil. A welding instructor had an ar set up in that caliber and said it stayed flat quite a ways out, he'd used it a few seasons.

smelt240

The Armalite is still a way better rifle, but the DPMS really shined!   My first shot was WAY off.... (Ive never played with a 1.5# trigger before)   50 yds:  2 shots one hole.   100yds:  2 shots, 1" apart.   200 yds- (with the sun shining in from the direct right, and reflecting off my glasses, laying in the sand with shorts and a t shirt, earmuffs hitting the stock- really comfortable)  2 shots 1" group.   grass was too tall for 3 and 400 yards, but hes supposed to mow it today.    the 500 yard shot might have been doable, but it was 7:45pm and my 1 hour shooting trip had gone over 3 hours so far... and walking 500 yards back and forth to mark hits sucks.

inski

Why not just go 30 caliber? 300 blk!
The main reason is case prep.  A lot easier with 6x45.  Other reasons are ballistics, availability of 6mm/.243 projectiles, simple reloading with a lot of options.

I don't have experience with the caliber in an ar, but my sister uses 6.8 spc (G2 contender) dropped her deer one shot last year. Very little recoil. A welding instructor had an ar set up in that caliber and said it stayed flat quite a ways out, he'd used it a few seasons.
6.8 is a very different round but there are some ARs out there in 6.8.  You have to be careful with 6.8.  There are now 3 different types of 6.8.  6.8spc, 6.8spcII (2), and the guy that created the original copied the II(2) and changed the shoulder and called is something else ...6.8something

The Armalite is still a way better rifle, but the DPMS really shined!   My first shot was WAY off.... (Ive never played with a 1.5# trigger before)   50 yds:  2 shots one hole.   100yds:  2 shots, 1" apart.   200 yds- (with the sun shining in from the direct right, and reflecting off my glasses, laying in the sand with shorts and a t shirt, earmuffs hitting the stock- really comfortable)  2 shots 1" group.   grass was too tall for 3 and 400 yards, but hes supposed to mow it today.    the 500 yard shot might have been doable, but it was 7:45pm and my 1 hour shooting trip had gone over 3 hours so far... and walking 500 yards back and forth to mark hits sucks.
Its that word "military" that messed you all up.  If you used heavy Hornady or Nosler BTHP you could have gone sub half inch.
default_biggrin.png
 It wasn't anything you did (sun, bugs, earmuffs, grass)  It was all the 'military' ammo's fault.
default_biggrin.png

All Kidding aside, I bet the results will be even better out to 4-500, and better the more you use it more.  1" group at 200 is fantastic.

Nate

Founding Father
6.8spc is ok.... But in the AR platform it sucks.  Different mags, different bolt, BLAH!  Keeping it in the family of 300blk, or this (new to me) 6x45 is good because they both started from the ground level as a .223/5.56 round.  This means using easily available mags, easily available bolts. It's ONLY a barrel swap.  

I don't know ballistics of this new round, but I will stay with 300blk for the fact that is packs a punch up to 200 yards.  I don't really need my AR to drop anything further then that.  Lets be honest, If I'm building a long distance gun, it will be a bolt gun in .308 anyway.

But I would love to see some charts on that.

smelt240

I just put my 4x4 wheeler back together, next decent afternoon wind-wise, were going to try again, less walking with an ATV. Im going to build 50 rounds of Sierra match king 168s, and see what I can do with that. The stuff I had was from the 70s, one box (Winchester super match) would not fit my magazine! Rounds were about 1/16" too long. Factory loads too- strange.. the Lake city stuff was great though.   Im throwing together a little bench to take down and stash in the bushes.  Laying on the sand isn't that great. I also ordered a PRS stock and a Panther grip, the factory collapsible is horrible.

Also,if anyone is interested, my uncle is doing a concealed carry class on the 23rd of this month, at his shop in Readfield. The instructor is Paul Mitchell, Im not sure if he does any hair styling while hes there or not... anyway, the cost is $80, and it runs from 9am til 1-2 pm. Handguns and ammo for use in the shooting part are included, or you can bring your own. I actually don't have my permit, and am doing it this time. He will be having them monthly from now on. PM me if interested.

Latest posts

Back