The unofficial GUN talk thread

inski

Also, if you do not have a concealed permit you are prohibited from having a loaded gun and prohibited from having loaded magazines in the car.  Remember this when traveling to and from the range.  And its a good idea to have them in the trunk so they know its out of your reach.  Let your friends and family know.

When I have long guns in the car I use a chamber flag and have them in the case if available and sometimes the bolt locked open.  That way if I ever did get pulled over its easy for LEO to see a safe traveling manner.

Same with pistols.  Slide locked back and or in the case.  Mags empty.  In the trunk.

Safety and a clear understanding and common sense prevents extras holes in your body or someone else's.

MuddyWRX

I don't think it is illegal to have loaded magazines in a vehicle, as long as they are not attached to a firearm.

Out of curiosity, say someone gets pulled over for something minor, plate light out etc. If that person told the LEO that they had a permit and a gun, does it now turn into getting out running the numbers checking the permit etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The laws only state that ammunition has to be locked seperately from the guns.  I typically have the cable lock on the pistols and the mags and ammo in a can unless the pelican case is locked with both inside.

Mighty Subie

Just got my 10 pack of PMAGs w/ window delivered today! HELL YEAH! I could sell them right now and make back 4x what I paid... but screw that! lol

Mighty Subie

And about concealed carry... If you are CARRYING you need to tell them. You don't need to mention the fact that you have a permit just because you have a permit. Only if you are armed. The main point is just letting the officer know that you are armed and that it is legal.

MuddyWRX

I guess I just don't see the point in telling anyone you are carrying unless you are being asked to step out of your vehicle, if you have any weapons etc. Seems like it could only lead to more trouble. I understand the LEO would prefer to know but it's kind of a moot point as we all know criminals or people with bad intentions aren't going to say they have a weapon.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
In the state of Maine you are required to declare if you are carrying.  It will typically get you some leniency depending on what you were stopped for.  having a carry permit is a fairly good indicator that you are on the more upstanding side of citizenry.

MuddyWRX

I have heard people say that, and I'm not saying its a bad thing to do. But in all the state ccw information and everywhere else I've looked I have never seen documented where you are required to declare you have a weapon unless asked. Granted the legal stuff is horrible to read and worse to interpret, especially on a cell phone. But I would love to know where I can find the information/law requiring that you declare it.

Legacy22GT

I don't think it is illegal to have loaded magazines in a vehicle, as long as they are not attached to a firearm.

Out of curiosity, say someone gets pulled over for something minor, plate light out etc. If that person told the LEO that they had a permit and a gun, does it now turn into getting out running the numbers checking the permit etc?
correct on the first part. 

it is legal to have loaded magazines, as long as they're not in the weapon and as long as there is not a round chambered in the weapon.

Generally when transporting guns i have my magazine and firearm in 2 seperate locations in the car.

mags in back, guns in front. (probably should be the other way around....)

And as far as the second part, not neccessarily.

If the cop's a rookie, doesn't know the laws, or is being a jerk, then yes, he could conceivably tell you to get out of the vehicle with your hands up, etc.

Usually I see that sort of behavior from town and even some county police.

the state police are usually respectful of it, unless you're acting like douchebag.

I was stopped once for a seatbelt violation, didn't get anything out until the officer got to my window, kept my hands on the wheel the whole time, 

handed the officer my cwp and license and stated that my registration was in the glove compartment with my insurance card and pistol.

officer was very reasonable, and while i'm sure he was keeping a close watch on me, he allowed me to stay in my car and get his information for him.

another time before i had my cwp i was transporting my pistol and shotgun from a friend's place. got stopped for a fog light violation.

kept hands on the wheel, officer walked up to the car and i mentioned my weapons on the seat beside me.

all he said was keep your hands on the wheel. gave him my license and that's that.

I don't think any of the times i've been stopped that they've done the numbers on my cwp. just my license.

In the state of Maine you are required to declare if you are carrying.  It will typically get you some leniency depending on what you were stopped for.  having a carry permit is a fairly good indicator that you are on the more upstanding side of citizenry.
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate.

I have always willingly handed my CWP over with my license. But I don't think there is a law requiring you to declare you're armed.

though the part about leniency is correct. 

Gretsch308

Declare this!

ube2yme2.jpg

aje7u5yv.jpg

inski

^^Nice!^^ Stubby lil bugger.

I thought I'd read somewhere mags had to empty.  Well, my kids (both legal adults now) think they have to be unloaded.  I'll let them think that until they have the smarts to read up on it themselves.  The oldest kid has applied for CWP.  Waiting.

Anyone know where I can get a Glock 9mm mag loader assister thingy locally, and reasonably priced?

brighton

Rally Fluffer
You do NOT have to declare in this state...
The CWP class we (pedro) took at Howells specifically made it clear that you MUST declare. No ifs ands or buts. Ill have to look into this more. I will be declaring no matter what. Maybe Adam can chime in??

Last edited by a moderator:

Gretsch308

^^Nice!^^ Stubby lil bugger.

I thought I'd read somewhere mags had to empty. Well, my kids (both legal adults now) think they have to be unloaded. I'll let them think that until they have the smarts to read up on it themselves. The oldest kid has applied for CWP. Waiting.

Anyone know where I can get a Glock 9mm mag loader assister thingy locally, and reasonably priced?
The one that comes with the gun? I have 2. You can have one.

inski

Yes.  Thanks.  You going to the meet tomorrow at Red Robins?  Or I could meet you down towards your neck of the woods in the evening or this weekend?  I'd be coming from the jetport area.

Gretsch308

Yes. Thanks. You going to the meet tomorrow at Red Robins? Or I could meet you down towards your neck of the woods in the evening or this weekend? I'd be coming from the jetport area.
I can't make the meet but I will be at Texas Roadhouse at 1800hrs tomorrow.

I must be a idiot I still can't figure out how use that damn thing
Dood, I showed you how to use it!

Latest posts

Back