The unofficial GUN talk thread

Nate

Founding Father
Gun oil down the barrel...  and a 22 caliber cleaning rod or wooden dowel.  Get ready to ruin what ever it is you jam down there.. Or bring it here and we can strip the barrel out of the upper receiver and work on it.

And NEVER shoot Tula again, out of anything.  Friends don't let friends shoot Tula.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah I've already soaked it with oil, and will be using a dowel today to get it out. I shoot Tula all the time in my SKS. So far that gun is the best shooter. The AR doesn't like it if it's dirty with brass ammo after a few mags, it'll start jamming or not feeding. But this is the first time a shell has jammed. And this was the first time I'd shot Tula, or any steel casing through the AR. Guess it'll be the last!

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate

Founding Father
AK's/SKS's are a different breed.  The cheaper the ammo the better.  If you are buying expensive ammo for an AK you are wasting you money. Haha.

Biggest thing that will make an AR malfunction....  If its too dry, and cheap ammo.  I'm not on the band wagon that says: never shoot steel cased ammo.  I personally have shot some but don't make a habit of it.  I have a few thousand rounds here.  Strictly brass. 

Just know in the long run steel cased ammo is causing damage to the barrel (7,500-10,000 rounds).  The barrel IS a wear out part on the gun, but steel is wearing it out at a much higher rate.  It's not just the case either that causing damage to the chamber.  The metal that these companies are using to build the projectiles, and and the coatings that are using on them is smoking your barrel rifling.  This will equate to a less accurate shot.  The Bi-metal and poly coatings are blowing out the rifling.

But you also have to know that in the time it would take to fully blow out a barrel with steel cased ammo, you saved enough money on buying the ammo cheaper to replace that barrel.  Just stay away from TULA.  It's the worst of the worst.  Junk, junk, junk.  If you want to stay with steel look for Wolf, or Brown Bear.

Biggest reason I stick to brass is that I run customized barrels that are more expensive to replace.  I have a 14" barrel with a pinned on muzzle brake. So I don't just run down to a store and buy one of those.  I have to manufacture that.  And (soon) I'll have a 10", that an expensive one to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Yeah no doubt. I don't plan on using steel ammo much anyway, it was just a decent price, and I was going shooting, so I figured why not. But I won't again. Except for the SKS. Thanks Nate.

Jamey

I've shoot some steel out that not much tho I'd rather brass , but I also cleaned that every time I shot it I am very anal with my guns

IBratmanI

I've shoot some steel out that not much tho I'd rather brass , but I also cleaned that every time I shot it I am very anal with my guns
Yeah I always clean after I shoot. Got the shell out. It took a lot. no marks left in the barrel, or even on the shell though, so I'm not entirely sure what the issue was. 

Viago

Certified NRA Instructor
Marlin Mod 70, 22lr, 2 mags. $130

Taurus Poly Protector Pro 357mag, 2x clip srtip speed loaders, box, manuals, $400

Springfield XD 9mm 4", holster, mag holster, speed loader, case manuals, 4 16rnd mags (2 are unused), pachmyer grip, $500

located in levant

Email me

[email protected]

inski

Found out the Marlin likes CCI Standard Velocity 40gr. a lot.  The thing is a tack driver!  HOLY FAAAQ!  The Ruger 10/22 is a turd compared to the 1950s Marlin.

Gretsch308

New light!

e6y3u4y3.jpg

Latest posts

Back