The unofficial GUN talk thread

SoMeWRX

Anyone have any experience with FNS 9mms? I picked one up awhile ago and I have the worst issues with it. Seems like the spring is overly tight or something, never properly reloads. Some scratching on top of the round that is entering the chamber. Ejects fine. Weirdest thing is that when I shoot righty, all is good. When I shoot lefty, usually cannot get more than two rounds off at a time without incident. I specifically bought this because I shoot ambi consistently and it has all ambi functions. Huge bummer. Manuf'd in 2012 according to serial and I have cleaned it extensively. No weird scratches or wear inside the piece anywhere. Otherwise it is highly accurate and wicked fun.

The interwebs do not have much in the way of concrete solutions or causes.

inski

The same thing happens to me when I'm driving the Glock lefty, except not as frequently.  Its called limp-wristing-it.  I had a long time multi-champion shooter coaching  me and he said that's exactly what was happening.

I didn't want to admit it but he was right.  He suggested I switch my recoil spring to a lighter one but after changing my routine a little and getting my left locked up a bit more it never happens anymore.  Coincidentally I was using Federal fmj in the maroon and black box (cheap stuff) a lot and found too much inconsistency in the ammo.  I stopped using it.  The round lengths were too long sometimes and dragged and tilted inside the mags causing failures.

This might also be your issue.

http://www.gun-tests.com/special_reports/handguns/FNH_USA_FNP-9_DAO_pistol_slide_stall_malfunctions307-1.html#.VD5KjvldU5o

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-700907.html

i-wagon

went in to Howells couple days ago, wish I made more money. Between the gen 3 g19 and the windham weaponry scr I could replace my .22s with something a can afford to shoot but find ammo for

Nate

Founding Father
If I could find the post I made months ago I would copy it back here..... but I told you: Build/buy an AR15..

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

I know, I'd like to start acquiring the pieces to build one in either.223 or 6.8. Probably this year's tax returns I'll actually come over to your place and get a list if you'd like to help with assembly. I have a good idea what I want.

Nate

Founding Father
If you want to be able to enjoy shooting it... stick with 223. Parts, barrels, magazines, and ammo are everywhere.

6.8spc is a very capable round, just expensive ammo unless you reload. And not readily available. Also requires ammo specific bolt, and magazines. 5 round 6.8spc magazines aren't all that easy to find. Basically it is an after-thought round, that was developed to auto feed from the AR15 platform, that just never got any backing. It simply fizzled out.

If you require more punch from your projectiles... I might suggest 300aac blackout. Bolt and magazine compatibility with 223 make it another bonus, not to mention it's receiving lots of backing as of lately. Ammo is still a little more expensive, but I see the price dropping in the future with manufacturers tooling up to meet demand. I compare prices of 300blk vs 233, to that of 9mm vs 45acp. It's becoming pretty available just still a little more money. I can speak to you for hours on the benefits of available projectile sizes and bullet configurations. Jump on the wagon now. I think this train is going somewhere.

If you choose to build a rifle rather then but one, I might also suggest exploiting the ATF loophole lots of folks are taking advantage of recently. Build an AR15 pistol. Allows you to build a shorter, lighter, and easier to handle rifle with some serious cool factor. Conceal carry permit holders are actually allowed to carry this loaded in they vehicles unlike a rifle. You are free to hunt with it, and nothing makes a better brush gun than a short barrel 300blk pistol. (My pure opinion)

Just food for thought.

inski

Good points.  I'd like to add .300 is a lot more plentiful these days than 6.8spc.  And, if you search around you can get .300 for only a couple bucks per box more than .223, unlike 6.8spc which has remained at around $20+/box and still hard to come by.  However, .223 is NOT a cartridge to raise your nose at.  It will dump a deer, person, whatevah!  We've won some conflicts with that round.  

Nate,

Can I borrow or rent one of your shotgun shell cards?  At this point I can carry 18, the card stuck to the receiver will put me in over what I need to carry, which is what I want. 24 total.

Nate

Founding Father
Rent? Please......

Bring your shotgun over, I think I have more Velcro left to cover your receiver and you can borrow a 7 shot card.

Also, grab the double mag pouch and (2) 40 round pmags.

De look like dis

MuddyWRX

So speaking of AR pistols, what is the rule of building one in regards to the lower? I have a poly rifle lower kicking around, can I just put a pistol buffer/arm brace on this lower?

inski

Rent? Please......

Bring your shotgun over, I think I have more Velcro left to cover your receiver and you can borrow a 7 shot card.

Also, grab the double mag pouch and (2) 40 round pmags.

Ok cool!  YES!  That will work nicely!   I have HD stick-on velcro too.  I'll bring the scattergun over tomorrow evening?  Weds?

Nate

Founding Father
Nah, bought as a completed lower a while ago.
You're good! I should have clarified my prior comment. As long as it started life as a stripped lower.

To explain quickly, when you fill out your NICS check form at a gun shop to purchase a firearm. The FFL calls in and specified that the firearm is one of 3 things: handgun, long gun (rifle, shotgun), or receiver parts. A stripped lower or complete lower is considered receiver parts. This can be built into a pistol.

Only thing to look out for is to make sure the complete lower never came from a rifle at one point. Say I sold you a used Windham lower because I swapped to a billet.... that Windham lower was purchased as a carbine. That's a rifle. Even if it's stripped and resold as a receiver. It started life from the manufacturer as a rifle, and was sold as a rifle.

This is important because if you turn a rifle lower into a pistol... You're essentially manufacturing a short barrel rifle.... without a stamp.

As far as putting on a pistol extension... you can do that, there are plenty available. But some do the cheaper thing and just paracord wrap the extension, tape it, basically make it so a stock can't go on. Leave it as is.

Hope that is as clear as mud. Call me if you have questions.

MuddyWRX

So sold as a complete rifle, always a rifle. Sold as a lower, build into whichever you prefer.

Nate

Founding Father
Basically...

I hate to use the word "registered", because we don't register firearms in this state, but when a gun manufacturer produces a rifle that serial numbered lower is "registered" as a rifle. And will always be a rifle for its existence. No matter if it's torn down to parts and sold. It was originally a rifle.

Now on the opposite end, a lower that was bare and sold from the factory as a receiver was "registered" as a receiver. You can build it into whatever you want.

You buying a "complete lower" from a gun store... it was checked off on your NICS form as receiver NOT a long gun. So you can just remove the carbine extension, and add a pistol extension.

Just be weary of used lowers from major companies such as Colt and Smith. They don't sell many stripped lowers. Or better yet, just buy new, they're cheap and you know what they started as.

inski

Nate, thanks for your help!  I'll be getting myself some 40s soon, and the velcro shotgun thingies.  We'll be doing this type of match again.  I started with approx 190 rounds on me.  Need a dump pouch, too.

Latest posts

Back