VF40 Just Blew Up

Matt

There waiting on an adjuster from subaru to come look at it and look for signs of abuse.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
They wanted to do the same thing for me. They wouldn't pay for a rental and the dealer was in CT. I refused to give up the title until I got a check back.

They said it was abuse, and I was like look, its not a friggin pint glass. Once legaling up and BBB came into discussion they yielded and wrote me a check back.

The only two pictures I have of mine.

2010-12-20%252007.56.36.jpg

2011-01-03%252011.18.39.jpg

The first is the day it came home, the second was less than two weeks later us trailering it back to the dealer.

Someday I'm going to own another. But I'm going to buy one with a dead motor first and replace everything. sti block, forged pistons, refreshed heads, NO OIL SCREENS, killer b pickup, and a bigger turbo detuned a little bit.

DShane

I didn't buy it from a Subaru dealership, I bought it at Independent Auto in Lewiston. They tried to get me to pay for it to be towed to Lisbon so one of their mechanics could look at it. I told them if I had to pay for the tow then it was going to my mechanic, and they reluctantly agreed so now I'm waiting for my mechanic to get a chance to swing by my house, officially diagnose it as need a new turbo, engine, and exhaust, and then I'm assuming the dealer will be willing to buy the car back from me instead of having to pay to have all that replaced.

Still waiting to see exactly how it's going to pan out, but it's looking like I'm going to be in the market for a new vehicle.

Sooo again I'll ask, anyone have a clean STI for me?
default_biggrin.png

DShane

So the official diagnosis is that I spun a rod bearing, engine is totaled. Will find out tomorrow morning if the dealer wants to buy it back or fix it.

DShane

Damn wish I had seen that before I bought it. But that's actually the ad for my car haha they just haven't taken it down yet.

Well actually that's about a black one mines blue

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
Dylan I hope you know every time you bump this thread back to the top I get more and more scared. 
default_additional_scared.gif

DShane

Haha sorry. If it makes you feel better my mechanic said the turbo had nothing to do with it. Apparently everything involving the powertrain on the LGT's is complete junk, not just the turbo.

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
I love how mine looks/drives, it's just nerve racking. I should just leave it parked in the Old Port with the keys in it... Hello insurance.

DShane

Well they're not buying the car back, but they are buying me a new motor, and assuming his quote isn't too rediculous they're willing to let my mechanic do the work. I'm hoping he can find a 09+ wrx engine to put in it with a vf52 so I actually have the perfect car. Fingers crossed.

JoeBalz

2005 LGT's suck.
Well they're not buying the car back, but they are buying me a new motor, and assuming his quote isn't too rediculous they're willing to let my mechanic do the work. I'm hoping he can find a 09+ wrx engine to put in it with a vf52 so I actually have the perfect car. Fingers crossed.
Good luck man, if that works it would be great!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Your engine and a wrx engine are both an ej255, they're all the same thing, really.
If you can, see if you can get aftermarket pistons put in it before being bolted together. The 08+ pistons are made out of silly putty. Ask drvsdwz...

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Since you're getting a new motor. REDO EVERY DAMN THING. The heads are going to be full of shmutz, so are your turbo oil lines. etc. Remove acvs and turbo line screens, etc.

And 08+ pistons changed so they're made out of silly string and pop ringlands if you look at them wrong.

DShane

Since you're getting a new motor. REDO EVERY DAMN THING. The heads are going to be full of shmutz, so are your turbo oil lines. etc. Remove acvs and turbo line screens, etc.

And 08+ pistons changed so they're made out of silly string and pop ringlands if you look at them wrong.
acvs?

Latest posts

Back