What Snowtires Should I Get???

4WRXter

Skier!
I don't mean to thread jack but just for the sake of conversation...The more I think about it, I think I will paint my steelies graphite. $75 for the least expensive alloy on tirerack, and I may be way off here but I like the idea of a full wheel (not open spokes) to keep snow, ice, slush, sand, salt away from rotors. I think painted they will look decent. ??

you could probably get a set of 15" alloys from tirerack for cheap to mount snows to. They'll look better than the VIP steelies.

mikebike357

here's what a dented silver forester steelie looks like:

Image088.jpg

Car Whore

I couldn't find the Yoko IG-10 in my size

ig10_tire.jpg

but the Yoko IG721s look sexy, and they aren't as expensive as some of the others.

ig721_tire.jpg

Nice....they had the IG721s in my size(205/50/16) and they are cheaper than Blizzak WS-50s or LM-25s ($91 ea).They look like a good tire.I too was having a hard time justifying paying for Blizzaks,especially with that weird tread-dissappearing thing that happens to them.

R

redlinerally

awesome resolution on that camera phone... or did you apply "stucco" filters thru photoshop?
default_smile.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I don't mean to thread jack but just for the sake of conversation...The more I think about it, I think I will paint my steelies graphite. $75 for the least expensive alloy on tirerack, and I may be way off here but I like the idea of a full wheel (not open spokes) to keep snow, ice, slush, sand, salt away from rotors. I think painted they will look decent. ??

you could probably get a set of 15" alloys from tirerack for cheap to mount snows to. They'll look better than the VIP steelies.
don't forget when you turn opposite the snow, ice slush, sand, salt will enter from the inside of the wheel and have no where to pass through.

seph

if I had some extra cash, I'd buy a set of 15s or 16s for winter, because these 17s such when you go through snow. get a little packed in on the flatspots and yr going 25 and it feels like yr wheels are going to vibrate off...blah

Impreza05

if I had some extra cash, I'd buy a set of 15s or 16s for winter, because these 17s such when you go through snow. get a little packed in on the flatspots and yr going 25 and it feels like yr wheels are going to vibrate off...blah
Put a coat of wd-40 or silicone on the inside of the rim it may prevent some stickage.

Rightseat

you're better off wih a spoked wheel design so you can reach in there with a stick or your snow bruch and knock the crapola out. also easier to flush sand/salt out with a sprayer if the wheel design is more open.

long experience and many thumpthumpthump miles in winter have taught me this...........

DG

PS--someone posted above that they found the Yoko IGs in 205-50-16; correct size for stock WRX and RS 16s is 205-55-16

PPS--Inski, find your self some stock 15" scooby alloys used, go with 195-65-15. the narrower tire works MUCH better in snow and slush, less hydroplaning than the wider size. 15s fit over RS brakes no prob.

Geist

yeah, last year I made it on the RE90's....even working at Sugarloaf...no problems...I'm trying to decide if I should get some blizzaks

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Blizzak+WS-50&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=145R7BZWS50&fromCompare1=yes&place=3

$50 rebate when you buy 4.....
I vote +1 for blizzaks... I used them last year... then sold my sti rims w/ the intent of getting different ones, but then came into unexpected bills, so I rode my winter rims all summer!

Results.... old worn pair of blizzaks, next to a beefy new pair waiting to be put on!

baldasstireaj3.jpg

WRXav8r

My neighbor sells many brands of winter tires... you should call him and get a neighbor deal...

Cahill Tires in Bath

ask for Jamie say your friends with the guy in the blue house with all the Subarus...

R

redlinerally

Exactly how many Subarus do you have in your yard?

Any spare "hand me down" parts lying around?
default_wink.png

Car Whore

PS--someone posted above that they found the Yoko IGs in 205-50-16; correct size for stock WRX and RS 16s is 205-55-16
I don't have a Subie anymore...it's for Volvo 850R,but you are correct.It would be nice if I COULD use the 205-55-16,but they actually will rub.850s have very little wheelwell room,unfortunately.The stock 17" tire size is 205/45/17!

robu

here's what a dented silver forester steelie looks like:

Image088.jpg
That's the spare, it doesn't count.

"Real" Forester steelies look like this, and are fairly sturdy (when you're not bouncing them off rocks at speed):

2005-MFR-SS1-762PGT-Robert_Plafta-03.jpg

Rightseat

Last Ditch Racing runs XIces (with tubes to toughen em up a bit) on the rally car, that ought to tell ya something!

DG

mikebike357

And for those shopping... I called around to get some pricing on Nokian snows:

Century Tire, Portland:

Hakka RSI - $154.80

Hakka 2 - $158.59

TireFactory (800-576-1009):

Hakka 2 - $160 <-- no sales tax, free shipping, $10 off NASIOC discount

The TireFactory guy said that the Hakka 2 has a higher speed rating so it would be better for the WRX on dry pavement.

jeffcrider

didnt feel like reading all the previous post... so this might be a repeat opinion.

My bro in law thomas has an RS and ran Blizzack WS-50's and they were awesome. He drove a circle around a tree in his yard with nearly a foot of snow and had no problem
default_wink.png

They are the tires im getting for this winter.

Latest posts

Back