What Snowtires Should I Get???

Rightseat

yokos and michies stay grippy right down to the knubs

yoks have some kind of silica crystals to give grip, michies have nylon bristles or something like that

both brands have heavily siped tread blocks and highly surfaced sidewalls to add grip in deep pow-pow

DG

Snow Tire Collector

jeffcrider

hmmm the Yoko dont come in my size... 205/55-16

so i guess it is between the

Mich X-ice

Blizzak WS-50 (they come in 195/55-16 close enough)

Blizzak Revo-1

What do you think? according to tirerack.com the blizzak's have the best rating for winter, the WS-50's are way above anything else in the snow...

jeffcrider

oh wait theres another one... there is a Yoko in my size, not the IG-10's but the IG-721's

are they anygood?

man... this is exhausting

Rightseat

IG 721s have same tread compund, different tread pattern -- asymmetric vs symmetric blocks on IG-10s. I think the 721s have a higher speed rating, but overall speed rating isn't a big deal for winter tires.

there, izzn't dat easier?

DG

this is not exhausting....unless you wait until your car is already stuffed into a snowbank to make the switch !

jeffcrider

So i did some priceing, at sears... all prices are for 4 tires installed.

Blizzack ws-50 $556 (195/55-16) (these two prices include a $48 Road hazard thing)

Mich X-Ice

Rightseat

cooper weathermastr is a good basic snow tire, nothin special. standard low-tempo rubber compound, no exotic treads or anything.

if u want performance, it doesn't cost...it pays.

Rightseat

jeez, you have a functioning brain, so use it!
default_wink.png

only YOU can decide how to spend YOUR $$$ based on what you need, what you want, what you can afford.

if you want extra performance from your snows, pop a little extra $ for tires that offer upgraded compound. if price is paramount, go with the basics--Coopers or maybe even the Winter Claws they sell at VIP (which are decent el cheapo snows, BTW)

DG

4WRXter

Skier!
I wasn't going to say anything, but what the hey.....

Jeff, I have some Coopers on my pick-up. Probably not the best comparo, but bear with me. I don't have the same ones that you show, but I like them a lot. I plow with my truck, I hunt, (muddy roads) I keep those tires on year round. I pumped them up hard (80-90 lbs) hooked my 23 ft camper trailer up and drove to North Carolina, then Georgia and back last spring. I was driving 65-70 mph on the Interstates. They have great traction in the snow. A little wear from 3000 miles of highway driving, but not as bad as I expected.

I personally feel the Coopers would be a good compromise for you. Relatively affordable name brand tires, you should get good enough traction with an AWD Sooby, and I also feel they are probably fine for 60-70 mph highway driving. Much over that in the winter is probably not prudent anyway.

There's my $.02 Hope it helps.

mikebike357

just as an FYI... the nokian hakkapalletta 2's were about $650 shipped to my door plus $63 mount & balance. IMHO Nokian makes the best snowtire.

jeffcrider

I wasn't going to say anything, but what the hey.....

Jeff, I have some Coopers on my pick-up. Probably not the best comparo, but bear with me. I don't have the same ones that you show, but I like them a lot. I plow with my truck, I hunt, (muddy roads) I keep those tires on year round. I pumped them up hard (80-90 lbs) hooked my 23 ft camper trailer up and drove to North Carolina, then Georgia and back last spring. I was driving 65-70 mph on the Interstates. They have great traction in the snow. A little wear from 3000 miles of highway driving, but not as bad as I expected.

I personally feel the Coopers would be a good compromise for you. Relatively affordable name brand tires, you should get good enough traction with an AWD Sooby, and I also feel they are probably fine for 60-70 mph highway driving. Much over that in the winter is probably not prudent anyway.

There's my $.02 Hope it helps.

thanks, an answer im looking for, one with an opinion about the tires not just facts about ruber compond and what not... (no offence Rightseat it was all helpful) but i guess i dont really care what they are made of, just weather or not they work well.

Rightseat

those cooper truck tires he's talking about aren't even snows...they're all seasons! I run probably exact same tires--Cooper Discoverer A/Ts -- on my F250, and they're great for what they are. but dedicated snows they ain;'t. mine didn't wear that well, either...toasted after less than 30k miles...admittedly under routinely heavy towing loads.

high-end snows like the yoks or Mich Xices or Blizzaks or Hakkas will give you markedly better grip than standard snows like coopers etc, on wet, icy surfaces due to superior tread compound and better carcass design. if that doesn't matter to you, get whatever cheapo tires you want. sorry to bore you with feedback based on actual high-performance usage.

mikebike357

Rather than bicker, i'll give an opinion...

I've heard many complaints about Blizzaks sucking after they wear down a bit. That's one reason why I avoided them. I had a set of Nokian Hakka Q's on our BMW 318ti and that thing would go damn near anywhere in the snow. So after I totaled my Jeep on black ice, I decided to get dedicated snows for the new car (the Forester). I'm now going into my 4th season on one set of Hakka Q's and they haven't even started to show the wear indicator yet (shown in millimeters right on the tire). I don't drive a crapload, but I put about 5k miles on per winter.

So, I questioned myself on snowtires this year when going to buy a set for teh wrx... ended up going back to the Nokians because they're such awesome tires. Not the cheapest, but what's an extra $100 for the peace of mind of knowing that you're driving on kick ass snowtires. Tires are like shoes... buy cheap and your feet hurt. Buy good and your feet are comfy.

4WRXter

Skier!
With all due respect Right, I have the highest respect for your knowledge. Your advice is always right on, you helped me a lot when I was searching for my car, you have probably forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. BUT....the Coopers on my truck ARE dedicated snows. Just a FYI. Not trying to bicker.

And Mike is absolutely correct. BEST snows = Nokians.

Again just my humble OPINION, previously.
default_wink.png

4WRXter

Skier!
http://www.rs25.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=7517&sort=1&cat=6&page=2

I should probably let this die, but I'm just trying to help. Jeff, check these out. I don't know what you drive, if they will fit. Think about this; TheNailman is a member here,(no shipping) If they work the tires cost you $350...Steelies at VIP (not pretty but functional) $160+tax,...Maybe lug nuts, $30-$40?? For $550 or so you have excellent tires with wheels to just swap onto your car. I have seen the tires, they are excellent. The one big factor is that I know Ecksjay was talking with Nailman about buying them. PM him, see if he did.

Might be worth a PM or two?? Good luck

I do know 15s will fit over stock RS brakes FWIW. I have some on mine right now. Due to Rightseat's excellent advice.
default_redface.gif

jeffcrider

That would have been very tempting... but i just bought some new tires on Sat.

thanks thou.

btw i wasnt trying to be an annoying ass wipe, just looking for as much tire advice/opinion/preference as possible.

Rightseat

heh, talking about snow tires is one step short of talking politics...everyone has their favorites, and all for for different reasons!

DG O0

sooo...what did you get??!!

Latest posts

Back