What to do with an OBS + cash

hesitantOBS

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here. I just bought a 96 OBS. The body is in alright shape, it's a 5spd with the standard 2.2L engine. Engine runs alright, but it's nearly got 200k on the clock. It's got your usual issues (leaks, squeels, groans) but nothing major. No idea when the timing belt was last replaced, and the previous owner moved so I can't get in touch.

I'm located (so is the car) in Southern VT. I was going to post this up on NASIOC like a friend suggested, but I didn't like the looks of the community there. Although there is certainly an ENORMOUS knowledge-base there, I don't feel like putting up a help request.

Anyway, here goes...

I want to make this car into a nicer vehicle. I'm not looking (immediately anyhow) for a show car or 12 second drag. I'm looking to make some cosmetic upgrades to the vehicle, but also upgrade the suspension, wheels, tires, exhaust, engine and then interior components.

I need some direction and some ideas. I don't have a paint color in mind, but anything other than the primer it has now would be great. LOL. Also, I'd like to get the 2.2L fixed up and maybe throw a small amount of boost in there.

Ideas? Thanks in advance for the welcome!

Oh, PS - I've got a 6-8month budget of $2000-2500

gearsoup

Well, you can start off with an RS hood and bumper.

You can do a turbo kit for less than 2k, if you shop right. I would think your engine has enough life left on it to at least work the kinks out of the turbo setup. You will probably blow the block up, so you want to have a replacement available before you start fiddling with the boost and EM.

FWIW, an RS motor swap will be cheaper, and easier. You won't get as much power, but it's still fun. The swap will run you less than a grand, and take a couple days....

HR radness

His royal radness
God I love to spend other people's money..........

PM evilespie. He had a very nicely set up OBS. He can tell you exactly what to put in

inski

I second a 2.5 swap. While its dangling off the engine hoist, change the cam seals, baffle plate, crank seals front and rear, and reseal the oil pan, and change the timing belt. Then toss it in there, splice your injector connectors. Done.

Spend the rest of your $$ on RS hood and bump, paint job, tint, RS/WRX seats in front, wheels and/or suspension.

pheeeew! Your money goes fast. ;D
default_wink.png

hesitantOBS

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Few things:

1.) I can't seem to find a 2.5L engine that is in decent shape to swap over. I'll keep my eyes out though.

2.) I've begun looking for the RS Hood and Bumper. Wondering how straight-forward swapping the beam is....

3.) I'm not opposed to any suggestions at this point, so fire away.

Radness, spend my money!
default_wink.png

I saw EvilAsPie's OBS when I did a quick search on here. No offense, but it appeared pretty minimalistic to me. I'm looking for something a little more extravagent (Color, front clip, tint, better interior, larger engine (or more HP) and possibly some upgraded suspension). I didn't really read much of the articles though, so I'm not saying EvilAsPie did a poor job. I'm just saying I want to go further than what he appeared to do. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that....

Any other suggestions? Anyone have budgeting skills so this 2k can be spent well?

hesitantOBS

inski21, what should I be looking to spend for a 2.5 engine? Also, will most of my 2.2L parts bolt up to it? What about my flywheel/clutch/etc... obviously, I'd have to change over my headers....

inski

Or trade me your OBS for my snappy rally-x preparred 95 Golf(130,xxxmiles), which is currently prepped for paint.

akinaspeedstar

check RS25 for engines i've found them for under a grand all the time. give me a minute and i'll find you some inspriation ;D

inski

I haven't done it, but Ecksjay has.

2.5 headers, yes. You'll probably want a 2.5 clutch and fylwheel. 2.2L tranny will be fine if its good now.

hesitantOBS

Redline, I'm in Brattleboro. Why, you close by?

Inski21, my tranny has a syncro that's slipping (2nd gear). But it only seems to do it when I've been driving for a bit, like the fluid is too slippery or hot or something. Thoughts? I'd like to fix it instead of replacing stuff.... put money towards better things. Also, I can't seem to find any 2.5L on rs25 that are local. Any idea how much it'd cost to ship something like that? :-

Rightseat

mmm, upgrades with OPM (other ppl's money), my favrit!

best bang for the buck is upgraded tires n wheels: 16x7 WRX take-offs for $200, plus 225/50-16 Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S gumballs, $400

next best is swaybars: say, $250 for f/r set, less if you source used stock WRX bits (straight bolt-on for the OBS)

next best is upgraded struts: KYB AGX adjustables, say $400 plus installation

brakes: -braided stainless lines $125 and $200 for Carbotech Bobcat or Hawk HPS pads F/R

now winter comes along: use your OBS 15" wheels with good snows: $400 for Yokohama IG10s or Blizzaks, 195/65-15

new RS front bumper skin: $250 plus paint.

upgraded driving lights: $100 for Hella FF1000s plus $150 for front light mounts from rallylights.com

OK, there;'s yer $2500 spent. ;D

you'll note I did NOT say anything about engine upgrade: Learn to DRIVE this car to its considerable potiential. Meanwhile, run the 2.2 until it bursts, then plop in a used 2.5 and a 4.11 5-spd and 4.11 rear limited slip from a crashed Forester S. then you will have essentially a 2.5RS wagoon! budget another $2500 for this craziness

of course, you could just scrap the OBS and get a WRX wagon, but this route will be more fun and more distinctive!

hesitantOBS

wow, AkinaSpeedStar, that's one hot wagon. Where do I find rear lip spoilers like that? What kind of bodykit is on that? YIKES!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Inski21, my tranny has a syncro that's slipping (2nd gear). But it only seems to do it when I've been driving for a bit, like the fluid is too slippery or hot or something. Thoughts? I'd like to fix it instead of replacing stuff.... put money towards better things. Also, I can't seem to find any 2.5L on rs25 that are local. Any idea how much it'd cost to ship something like that? :-
well if you buy parts from someone here, shoot me a PM. I travel to Keene, NH regularly to visit friends.

akinaspeedstar

like i said all the inspriation you need. i think theres a link on that page to the write up on nasioc, i think he's a local new englander as well

Redline

man, can I actually change-over that much crap that easily?
default_wink.png
Yup. You'll be suprised how much stuff will transfer over.

You'll probably want a 2.5 clutch and fylwheel. 2.2L tranny will be fine if its good now.
Inski, I thought you could use a 2.2L clutch... aren't they the same?

I'm in Northern MA (near Lowell) but have a friend that lives in Brattleboro, actually. Maybe I can pop my head in sometime! (Between my jobs and taking care of my-baby).

Latest posts

Back