What to do with an OBS + cash

hesitantOBS

Pedro, thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.

Redline, I'd love a hand if you can provide it. I take it from your posts that you do vinyl :
default_wink.png
I might want some later on after the paint is done. Also, from your comment above... you have an OBS too? Sweet. Wanna help with mine? ;D

hesitantOBS

HA HA HA... wannarex is right, on that anyhow. Especially the engine mods that guy's got!
default_wink.png
shiiiiiit!

If I can get the body portion done first, then do the engine and interior later, I'd feel like progress was being made at least. I definitely want to take care of the suspension, sways and rims, though. First I need to make sure the car is mechanically sound (fix leaks and major noises). Is it normal for these cars to sound so rough though? Every time I drive, the least little bump sounds like a huge pothole! :-

Rightseat

wow, Nigel... you didn't paint my car in that budget...

man, can I actually change-over that much crap that easily?
default_wink.png
not easily, you need to learn the systems along the way. you will probly commit some blunders along the learning curve, but at least you won't be bored.

as for paint...well, you can't drive paint. doesn't make the car lighter stronger or go faster or stop better. kapeesh? If you want new paint, learn to prep the surfaces and paint it yourself. Retail price of a really good paint job will trash your budget in one shot.

EvilAsPie

I saw EvilAsPie's OBS when I did a quick search on here. No offense, but it appeared pretty minimalistic to me. I'm looking for something a little more extravagent (Color, front clip, tint, better interior, larger engine (or more HP) and possibly some upgraded suspension). I didn't really read much of the articles though, so I'm not saying EvilAsPie did a poor job. I'm just saying I want to go further than what he appeared to do. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that....

Any other suggestions? Anyone have budgeting skills so this 2k can be spent well?
No offense taken. I'm a turn/stop before go and go before show.

the pie-wagon could stop and turn with the big boys. The single pot front calipers on the OBSs are a joke. If i were you i would start there, which people have already made suggestions on.

From my experience i would have to agree with Nigel, leave the engine you've got in there. The only engine mods i did were LW pullies, intake, and exhaust, which really only gave it better throttle response. But with the lower stiffer suspension, 16' rims w/stickies i could keep up with a stock 2k RS.

The obs was a completely different machine with the setup it had, and i barely new how to drive it to it's capability.

If you really want to change the motor a 2000-2001 RS SOHC engine would be perfect. Those things are torgue monsters! If you really want to go turbo i happen to have a spare engine you could buy for a spare/build. If you wanted to turbo a N/A. Personally, subaru makes a variety of killer turbo engines already i would drop one of those in before i completly change a N/A motor.

Cheap older turbo motor that can be built to be a monster and is a stronger construction then today's STi motors = 2.2t from early leggo / 22b / whatever you want to call it.

There was a guy selling 4 recked ones for cheap if you're interested.

Rightseat

HA HA HA... wannarex is right, on that anyhow. Especially the engine mods that guy's got!
default_wink.png
shiiiiiit!

If I can get the body portion done first, then do the engine and interior later, I'd feel like progress was being made at least. I definitely want to take care of the suspension, sways and rims, though. First I need to make sure the car is mechanically sound (fix leaks and major noises). Is it normal for these cars to sound so rough though? Every time I drive, the least little bump sounds like a huge pothole! :-
sounds like you may need to do some bushing work underneath--replace the front A-arm bushes and rear bushes on lat links and trailing arms. this alone will make a big diff--200k miles has just worn out what's there. new inner and outer tie rod ends will sharpen up the steering. at the age car you're talking, these are basically maintenance items.

makes no sense to paint and do bodywork if the suspension is tired. when you do the bushing work, it's a good time to do struts and sways as well.

main thing is, if you can do mechanical work ytourself, the costs of this kind of work is MUCH less. if you have to pay retail for mechanical labor, figure on double the prices from a budgeting standpoint. if this is your only car, you need to be aware of substantial downtime while the car is in pieces and you're learning how to get her back together.

hesitantOBS

Can anyone recommend me a complete bushing set, then? I would certainly like to get the running gear taken care of before tackling aesthetics.

EvilAsPie, I'm not so much a show before go type of guy. I just want to have a visually appealing ride, as it keeps my urge to buy a newer car at bay. LOL. So, if I can tackle each one it'll make me smile.
default_wink.png

I've got a line on a set of rear GR2's, so I just need the fronts now. Also, I've got an order pending from rs25 for an RS hood, scoop & vents, bumper skin and beam.

Should I stay with my OBS springs for now, and upgrade later? Or are there a good (not really $$$$) set of springs I can pickup? Will STI or WRX springs work? Also, anyone have some sway bars that will fit on this puppy? From what I've read, I've got a rear 13mm and a front 17mm... I THINK.

gearsoup

WRX sways will fit just fine. I've been meaning to pick up a set, but I never seem to have enough time to make the trip to anybody that might have some.

FWIW, you really don't have OBS springs. From 93-96, all Impreza springs were the same. In '97, they went to a stiffer spring. The 97 and up springs will make most any Impreza sit a leetle bit higher. About an inch or so. If you are looking to Rally-x it, these are the way to go.

GR2's are okay, if you don't intend on doing any motorsports. They don't have any adjustability, like the AGX's do. They are better than what you will get at Napa or Advance however....

Whiteline makes a realyl nice bushing set. Google them....

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
how about:

Sell OBS, take 2500 cash, add to OBS sale. Then put a nice down payment on a WRX wag?

akinaspeedstar

i disagree about the GR2's not being good for motor sports. i run them on my rs with Prodrive springs. and i really like the set up.

i recommend whiteline as well. subaru group N bushings are good too.

he's on vacation, but PM shorty, he works at a dealership and can usually meet or beat any prices you can find around or online. im sure he wouldn't mind shipping them to you either

an RS front sway should do you just fine, and then pick up an adjustable rear. i prefer bigger but go with your driving style.

hesitantOBS

how about:

Sell OBS, take 2500 cash, add to OBS sale. Then put a nice down payment on a WRX wag?
While that would certainly affix a smile to my face to do, I don't want to go that route. A few reasons:

1.) It's about the journey. I want to take a normal (although old) car and make it into something that people can look at and say "wow, thought was put into this vehicle".

2.) If I go out and sell this, combine with money to buy a WRX (even if it's an '02) I won't have funds left over for fun stuff... like upgrades, mods, tires wheels, etc.

3.) It's about the experience I'll gain by getting myself involved with a vehicular-rubix-cube. I want to see what combinations work and what doesn't, what looks good as opposed to what I consider to look good.

Buying a WRX might fit for other people. Just not me... at least right now. Maybe when I get this bug out of my system...
default_wink.png

EvilAsPie

Can anyone recommend me a complete bushing set, then? I would certainly like to get the running gear taken care of before tackling aesthetics.

EvilAsPie, I'm not so much a show before go type of guy. I just want to have a visually appealing ride, as it keeps my urge to buy a newer car at bay. LOL. So, if I can tackle each one it'll make me smile.
default_wink.png

I've got a line on a set of rear GR2's, so I just need the fronts now. Also, I've got an order pending from rs25 for an RS hood, scoop & vents, bumper skin and beam.

Should I stay with my OBS springs for now, and upgrade later? Or are there a good (not really $$$$) set of springs I can pickup? Will STI or WRX springs work? Also, anyone have some sway bars that will fit on this puppy? From what I've read, I've got a rear 13mm and a front 17mm... I THINK.
I agree that the 96 obs had absolutely no good styling what-so-ever, and RS bits will be a nice look. I just wanted you to understand my mod method for the pie-wagon, and that despite it's "ordinary" looks and little power mods it was not your run-of-the-mill OBS.

But enough about that wagon, onto yours. Upgrading bushings is a good idea no matter what. But depending on what you to do with the car will depend in what struts spring you want to run. AGXs are if you are going to be doing a good deal of competition with it and want to dial in the response. GR2 are also good(and cheaper). From the sounds of it you are getting some used...? For as little as they are on ebay it would probably be worst getting all 4 together new.

Then springs; the new obs spring are good for rallyx while a set of prodrives are awesome for autox. Neither one will raise or lower the car a lot but if your not competing with it, it comes down to do you want to be a little higher or a lower and stiffer?

EvilAsPie

Alright, so F&R sways. Check.

Can WRX springs fit? Nobody answered that question...
I believe that is what E-pie had in his.
I had both WRX struts and springs. With that setup the car sat pretty high. Which was fun for a while and made a great winter car.

But i don't know which actually made the car higher.

I would guess it was the struts since they are a little different then GC struts. But it could also be the combination of both...?

Never got around to trying then separately.

hesitantOBS

Stock ride height is good, for now. I wouldn't mind sitting a little higher, though.

What should I be looking at for prices for stock WRX struts & springs? Do I need to change the top-hats?

EvilAsPie

Stock ride height is good, for now. I wouldn't mind sitting a little higher, though.

What should I be looking at for prices for stock WRX struts & springs? Do I need to change the top-hats?
Not sure on prices. I bought mine as used take offs. Which i'm sure you could find. I think i payed $75ish for used ones.

You will have to use your GC top hats. Rear GD ones are a different pattern. You will also have to use one or two washers for the rear also as GD top hats are a little thicker. So you have to make up the difference in thickness. I think scoobymods has a write up on it and a place to buy the"right" washer for the job. I just used a couple extra strut top washers i had.

Latest posts

Back