what would you get ?

What would you buy first?

• BaysonR r205 type rear diffuser kit

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jojo69

So, basically I've got a little wiggle room/money to spend before winter hits... and I'm curious what fellow subaru enthusiasts think about the below limited options... I know everyone comes from a different background and has different aims, so if you vote, or post, take a minute to provide a reasoning behind your vote/post if you don't mind
default_smile.png

The idea here is to stay functional if possible... with that being said, I am playing with a few ideas in my head and I'm curious what other members think of the best bang/buck option.

None of these are 'necessary' and I have lived with them quite well until now and could keep this money for something nice like a getaway vacation with my wife somewhere... :sigh:  Keep in mind, this is a daily driver, not a race car, and I'm not actively pursuing more Hp/torque #'s. The current stg1 powerband is quite good as is and i need to learn how to manage this car first (yes I will be doing/attending the Nigel winter school this year). 

So here are some few, and random i admit, items i've been considering for a while: 

1 - Cobb intake + box ( around $315) - Most expensive items. A wee bit more power/tq, nice addition to engine bay, but is the additional gains worth the $$ spent and felt daily? 

2 - Primitive 'street' skid plate (around $260) - Nice addition, functional especially in this neck of the woods. 

3 - BaysonR r205 style rear diffuser ( around $250-ish) - Mostly aesthetic, but not a common items people have and makes the rear look even sexier... 

4 - Weathertech front weathermats ($110)  - Nice addition (cheapest of them all), very functional since winter/mud season is 6+ months around here. 

Exhaust... I am still looking for a good catback (I may just add basic aftermarket larger tips as the stock look ridiculous there until i find a good candidate). I wish to increase the boxer rumble without sounding ricey/rattling... I am very peculiar about this mod so I will be taking my time with it.   

i-wagon

Heavy duty skid plate. The cost of that is cheaper than most of the items they protect (oil pan, headers etc) and the floor mats. My carpet isn't terrible, bit it'd be scary if I didn't have the Subaru all weather mats

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Skip the intake. The stock setup works great and isn't a bottle neck until you're making huge huge power.

Primative 1/8th plate is 199 and 3/16 is 239. This is what I'd be spending my money on, especially since you plan to drive the car this winter. You will hear more engine noise with it, so for 40 bucks more I'd get the thicker one.

Next I'd get the floor mats.

The rear lip doodad thing looks weird to me, I'd skip it.

dsmith

i plan on getting the 3/16 skid plate for my forester soon. I've had winter mats in all my cars so I vote for those two things. 

jojo69

I hear you on the intake not being crucial and agree. I'm curious abt the 3/16 over 1/8th? Other than being beefier, what makes u guys opt for the ticker one? And u can add another $40 for the oil/filter holes which is why I put down the 1/8th as a $260 cost shipped.Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Oh and thanks for the input thus far! Keep 'em coming! :)Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
The car is going to be louder with either one, if I'm paying 200 for something, I might as well spend 40 more that can take more hits.

It's a PITA for oil changes the first time, but now it takes me 5 extra minutes to drop and put it back up.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
3/16th skidplate, and buy some regular deep rubber mats from an auto parts store. You'll have to scale your maf tuning if you get an intake, which will only add to the cost if you can't do it yourself and don't have a wideband on the car.

Marino

I <3 BOOST
+1 on floor mats and skid plate!

As for exhaust, I know a lot of GR people love the Nameless Performance muffler delete/ axle back. I have read a ton of good things about it (sound/quality/looks, etc) and it may be what you're looking for.

Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

Jamey

Once my magnaflows rot off I'm going for the nameless quad tips but I agree winter Mats are a must I have the Subaru ones they work just fine and don't break the bank ( you also get all 4 )

jojo69

Great input ya'll!!

The one thing i will absolutely do before i buy an exhaust is to ride with someone who has it. At this point, its either spt if i can get one at a super duper good deal (i highly doubt i will complain it is too loud! Hahahaha) Nameless is getting good reviews indeed but ill have to sit and hear one in a hatch before i commit.

At any rate, seems like the skidplate and mats seem to get the consensus, and they are absolutely practical :) still undecided on whether 1/8th or 3/16. I do not want to take the whole thing out when doing oil changes (as easy as some say), so will need to figure out what is more important (increased protections or practicality) for my use...

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

i-wagon

The 3/16 will take more abuse, especially if you get holes cut in it for the oil filter access. Honestly, I'd skip that business because the holes will make the plate weaker. Only takes me about 5 extra minutes to change oil, but I made mine myself and it doesn't go on well

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Get the thicker skid plate. Put the bolts in with anti-seize so they come out again, and spring washers so they don't fall out. Dropping it for an oil change every few months really isn't a big deal. If you have the 1/8" plate, hit something good and hard, and it dents in and breaks your oil pan. What are you gonna be thinking about? I'd be saying damn, it would have cost $40 more then, but now it's a $eleventy for ANOTHER skid plate and oil pan.

If you hit something good and hard on the 3/16" and it dents in and doesn't hurt anything, you have yourself a status symbol and a good story to tell at the bar. Because you can afford going to the car because you didn't have to buy a new oil pan.

Rmayo

I have the 3/16" on my wife's impreza and DRT's 1/8" on my wrx... just having the piece of mind and knowing I can bounce off a few rocks is worth the investment.

jojo69

I have the 3/16" on my wife's impreza and DRT's 1/8" on my wrx... just having the piece of mind and knowing I can bounce off a few rocks is worth the investment.
So u have a primitive and a drt? How do they compare?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

scoobiesforlife

skid plates are always a good thing to have here in maine, i personally dont have one on my car, but when i can afford to get one, im going to change my oil pan at the same time (starting to get pretty rusty), thicker is usually better.

as for a cat-back, my buddy picked one up from ebay for about $110 free shipping for his 05 wrx, it was a 3" stainless, came with all the gaskets and hardware (we needed to buy a new donut gasket though) and at idle, you get the good subie rumble, but when you rev it, it quiets right down. now taking the silencer out, you get the good subie rumble and the awesome rumble when you rev and drive it. hes had it on since the beginning of the summer and he loves it, hasnt given him any problems yet.

Latest posts

Back