Who Runs Amsoil or Rotella T6?

jojo69

just did on this last oil chg, 3rd oil change. OCI's roughly 6-7k. Oil from last dealer change was nasty.

Looking forward to some better UOI's with this oil & healthy motor!

Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Made the switch to rotella friday, lost a few mpgs but the motor loves it way more than the subaru JUNK.

blehhh

Just asked Patriot Subaru if they would put Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 in my WRX, pointing out that the manual says 5W-30, but that this is for environmental reasons that are not in the best interest of protecting the motor.

Received this response:

"Hi Ben,

Just got your email about using the Rotella oil. This is perfectly fine and we have customers bring in their preferred oil all the time. This will not void any warranty, or cause any issues. I hope this helps. let me know if you have any other questions!"

Not entirely sure if the 40 weight part sunk in, but whatever...

Last edited by a moderator:

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
There's a chart in the manual that says what oil to use based on the ambient temp, and I'm pretty sure that the 5w-40 is a valid oil weight

blehhh

There's a chart in the manual that says what oil to use based on the ambient temp, and I'm pretty sure that the 5w-40 is a valid oil weight
It used to allow 5W-40 for the same engine in years past, but it sounds like fuel economy regulations at the corporate level for Subaru put an end to that starting with the MY2012 turbos. Now it says 5W-30 synthetic only.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
I hope they enjoy paying for engine replacements. They've done 3 for me in the past 2-3 years...

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
what the hell are you guys doing to eat engines like this?  All I run is the evil Mobil1 5W30 at 7500mi changes.  I use less than a half quart in that interval.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
not an aggressive tune, just a long line of bad luck....09 wrx once, and my 08 sti twice. a simple stage 2 and proper engine care(letting it warm up to temp) should not be causing ringland failures and spun bearings....

jojo69

First UOA (via Blackstone) on 2nd official oil change (did one after 1k on my own). OEM subaru oil until then. OCI between 6.5 - 7k each time.

UOI results within normal range except Elevated iron which could be caused to 'new-er' engine.

Did make the switch to T6 and will make a 2nd UOA to see how the T6 performed and I will see from there if I continue t6 or stick with oem 5w30.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Your going almost twice the recommended distance between changes? Your nuts man. Not something I would do

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
11+ in the manuals actually say 7500 miles for the subaru synthetic 5w-30....not really sure why, but if that's what it says, just go with it!

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
oil change interval for 2006 is 7500mi.  I don't believe it changed much for 2011-2013
Going on avatar and listed vehicle.. I thought the turbo oci was supposed to be 3750? If I missed a post that said something about the car being n/a I apologize.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
Going on avatar and listed vehicle.. I thought the turbo oci was supposed to be 3750? If I missed a post that said something about the car being n/a I apologize.

11+ in the manuals actually say 7500 miles for the subaru synthetic 5w-30....not really sure why, but if that's what it says, just go with it!
 re-read

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
I stand corrected. I think ill stick to my 3750 mile changes regardless, these oil filters are mighty small

blehhh

The filter size has nothing to do with oil longevity.
I think he may have meant, the filter is probably 'due' anyway at 3750, you might as well just swap out the oil too while you're at it.

Latest posts

Back