Who Runs Amsoil or Rotella T6?

jojo69

I certainly don't want to start the never-ending debate of whether oil change intervals are every 3750 or 7500miles (and other theories around oci's that are part of automotive lore). I've made the decision to follow the 7500mi oil change intervals that my car manual and dealership indicates.

Am i a wee bit confused because of how some subaru sources define all turbo cars as cars that are driven under harsh condition and therefore warranting more frequent oci? Yes. And how those statement do not seem to have any follow up in our owner manual. Certainly.

Then again, to each their own in how you treat your car and what sources you choose to believe around oci's.

I will continue to submit uoa's in order to make sure shit doesn't hit the fan and make sure 7k (give or take) oci are safe for my motor.

It's time to kick ass, and chew bubblegum... and i'm all outta gum

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Good rule of thumb is upgrade your engine = upgrade your oil and OCI.

5W30 is not what you want to run on a modded motor (or racing on a factory motor). 

blehhh

I picked up 2 gallons of Shell Rotella T6 last night at wally-world for $42, works out to about $26 per 5 qt. Not too shabby. Can't wait to change it out and dump the stock tune.

i-wagon

I was concerned about the 40 wt, but the manual says I can use up to 10-50 depending on the temperature. I'll be on rotella after my new hg

blehhh

Just switched to Rotella T6 this morning. Definitely noticing a difference; stalled it twice driving home!

It's a little sluggish/heavy, but a little bit quieter and lot smoother. Before, everything felt like it was just clanking around and vibrating the hell out of my car. Now, under boost, it's just this smooth surge of power.

I imagine that a lightened crank wheel and a stage III TP tune will set things up nicely.

RedForester08

Good rule of thumb is upgrade your engine = upgrade your oil and OCI.

5W30 is not what you want to run on a modded motor (or racing on a factory motor). 
Pedro, MY06 in my Impreza NA i use the Subaru 5w30 sythetic. UOA have come back great and the oil has

not sheared down below 30wt. OCI is between 3 to 3.5k. Now my question is I plan to do some Rally X this year and some Auto X. Nothing to crazy. Engine is all stock with 60k for miles.

stepping up to a 40wt good idea or just change the oil after each event.

Thanks

Jim

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
You have already halved the OCi of your car.  So you are changing it sooner than recommended.  I don't think you would have any problem with what you are doing now for RX or AX with a NA engine.  Although going to 5w40 won't hurt especially as it gets warmer. 

boxerboost

I ran Amsoil 5w30 in my '05 STi for over 100k miles and never had any issues. Always did my oil changes around ~4,250miles, though so I can't speak if it had any burn off over time, which I've heard people complain about on nabisco.

I also ran it in my RS that Mikey WRX Swapped; and now I run it in my '05 FXT.

I've also had magnetic drain plugs on all three of these... Kics on the STi, Greddy on the RS and now I've got Dimple plug from RallysportDirect.  The Dimple is by far the strongest of the three, I actually hurt my finger pinching it between the magnet and the fridge when I put it there before I changed my oil out and replaced the stock plug.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
It is only going to give you slight advance notice that your engine is taking a dump.

bearing material is not magnetic, iron and steel are the only things showing up and if you see that, you are hosed.

boxerboost

Right, but if you DO see it; you could prepare for the worst financially instead of not knowing and then getting slammed with a big bill you didn't expect!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
It would be far better in a diff or transmission.  once you start seeing iron filings in your engine oil, you are probably on the side of the road already.

flat4awd

Owl's Auto JDM
I run Castrol syntec 5w30 in my RS, and I change the oil every 2500-3000 miles. I've never noticed filings in the oil, but it does consume a little oil (less then a quart), especially in the summer when I'm driving it usually every day. Granted, the engine has not been greatly modified, and I'm still on the stock turbo. Things should get interesting this summer, which is the main reason I bought the 2.2 Impreza.

dsmith

just switched to t6 today and can definitely tell the difference. Feels a lot smoother, especially in boost. I was running amsoil signature series 5w30 in the winter. 

Latest posts

Back