Achieving That Subie "rumble"

scubiecraig

So I am designing my exhaust system to achieve that lovely Subie "rumble". I know it isn't going to really gain me any power, but I could just see myself driving happily down the street with that rumble in my ears. The biggest stumbling block I am encountering is the 2.5RS cat-pipe. Can't seem to find a used one anywhere, so I checked Rockauto.com and found a replacement for a 2005 RS. I'm just wondering if it is the right part. I'm pasting a link here and I hope that you guys can confirm that I would be choosing the right part. http://www.rockauto.....php?pk=1934120

Here's my breakdown / idea and costs associated with it. My other option is a direct bolt on header from Rallisport, but that's over $500 just for the header. The way I'm designing it now, I can get the header, catpipe, and a full catback for about the same cost.

Ebay M2 catback exhaust: $184 shipped

Ebay Borla Replica Header: $114 shipped

RockAuto Catpipe: $225 shipped

Casper Electronic o2 Extender Cable: $38.90 shipped

Total Cost For Project: $561.90

I figure I'm going to keep this car for a long long time and run it into the ground.... why not enjoy it, right?! I also have plans for suspension upgrades as well.... but that is a different post!

Thoughts?

Craig

Matt

the easiest way to achive the rumble on the na is the uel header.....my rs had a decent rumble to it when I didnt have my borla header...that uel made an amazing difference...I still run my stock cat but have a 2,5 inch madrel bent midpipe into a cherry bomb resonator into a flowmaster muffler....very deep sound but it def catches alittle to much attention...im thinking of switching it up here

scubiecraig

Yeah, the issue for me in the 07 is that the headers off from eBay will not mate up with an 07 catpipe flange. The degree of the flange is off by about 30 degrees, and therefore I need an 05 RS cat-pipe and exhaust from there back... nothing mates up with the 06 or 07 stuff
default_frown.gif

scubiecraig

Possibly. I'm thinking that if I cut my stock cat-pipe and had him re-weld the flange on at the correct angle, it should work? Then I could save a bit of money and just put it towards a new cat-back exhaust.

i-wagon

there is one company that makes direct fit uel headers form 2.5i, last time I got an email from them they said about $400. so effff that. what I've seen mose people do for a 2.5i is but a wrx header that's 4-2-1 and does not have the built in up pipe, and cut the flange off and re weld it. those can normallly be had for a hundred on ebay, and you never know but gabe might have one kicking around. I have a 2.25 inch axleback to a 2.5in dynomax ultraflow stainless. sound is deep, just loud enough to be awesome but not so loud cops turn their head if I hammer on it. I built that myself for a hundred. eliminating the resonator is a horrible idea, idk what the catbacks you are looking at have, but 2.5i with no resonator sounds like a damn civic

scubiecraig

Matt, that company is Rallisport. Currently they are the only one producing a direct fit uel header. The cost is now $525 plus shipping, and about a 6 week wait while he produces it. While people are claiming that is a good deal and to stop whining about the price, I personally think that is a lot of money for something that isn't going to give any HP gains, primarily the sound. I want the sound, but I really can't justify dropping that much coin for just the header. If I drop that amount on a full system, that's a different story.

The catback I'm looking at does not have a resonator. Thank you for the tip. I may want to find a different one, or I could always purchase a resonator and have it welded in.

EDIT: Do you have any pics of your setup? Did you do the work yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

did all the work myself, pics of finished product should be in my gallery thread about a month or 2 back. honestly, if you want to sound decent on the cheap, buy a used wrx axleback for wicked cheap, weld in a new muffler. the hp gains of buying something catback aren't worth the cost,

Last edited by a moderator:

i-wagon

did not do wrx header. haven't been able to justify the cost. I'd rahter buy guns and chainsaws

scubiecraig

Sorry to be such a pain in the ass, but do you have any soundclips of your car? I'm curious to hear what it sounds like. So you are saying that you get some rumble even though you didn't go to a uel header? Just by replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket one on a wrx axleback gave you the sound you were looking for?

i-wagon

pretty much, yes. I dont have soundclips. it still has some grunt, even without uel headers.

i-wagon

had that the first time, the body rusted out from the inside out in 2 years, I got the same exact thing in stainless from advance for around 80

scubiecraig

Ahh, good to know. I'll have to look for the stainless version. I think I may do what you did too... spraypaint it black (stealthy). Quite possibly could do it with an undercoating style paint to protect it even more.

Latest posts

Back