Achieving That Subie "rumble"

scubiecraig

I suppose I could take a drive up there. It would save on shipping. If I decide to, I'll let you know and maybe we could meet up or something.

scubiecraig

Found one in the area, but it's going for just under $100. Amazon has them for about $75 and free shipping.

This is primarily for me to look back on: (stainless steel version)

Product Information Brand: Dynomax Manufacturer Part Number: 17283

i-wagon

http://www.summitrac...arts/WLK-17217/

this would be perfect if you just cut your factory muffler off and had this new one welded in. or if you got a 02-05 wrx axleback and had it welded to that. with these you will need either a weld on tip or a 6 inch piece of pipe to bring it out to the bumper. I've done both ways, and think I'm going to get another weld on tip

I've built enough different exhaust setups for my car, if you wans some advice text me at 8909218. and if I can convince my dad to let me use his garage I could do the work for you too

Last edited by a moderator:

scubiecraig

I'm just wondering, will I still get the sound you are getting with a 2.25" setup instead of the 2.5" setup I'd achieve with the WRX axleback? I have one lined up... just need to purchase it from the seller. Either way is fine with me. That would save me 30 bucks for something I'm just going to chop up anyways. I do not know how to weld, but I was thinking that band clamps could work? If you are willing to give me a hand, that would be awesome! I'm not quite ready to do it just yet, but that would be a huge help!

All you need to use to fasten the muffler on is exhaust clamps. Band clamps wont give you enough. On my 1.8L I put a thrush turbo muffler and it has a nice sound to it. Not the deep sound of the blown out muffler I replaced but sounds nice.

scubiecraig

Oh ok, I was thinking the band clamps would cover more area, thus less chances for leaks. The clamps are a little cheaper anyways, so that works out well. I'm thinking at this point I may just cut off the Subie OEM muffler and replace it with the Dynomax Ultraflow with clamps then. I went and listened to some clips on Youtube with 2.25" exhausts, and it sounds like it would be fine. I'm not really doing this for performance reasons anyways, mostly for sound. I just hope it doesn't sound like a Honda.

The easiest way I see of staying away from the "Honda" sound is to use a muffler made for a "classic" car which is what the Thrush turbo is marketed for.

When I redid my exhaust I went OE but with the muffler.

4fpHL.jpg

scubiecraig

^That's not a stock resonator, correct? It looks like you did a custom setup all the way back from the cat. I haven't looked, but I'm not sure if my OEM exhaust has a resonator in it?

i-wagon

oem has a resonator. personally, I'd buy the 30 dollar wrx setup and hack it up, so if you screw up you still have the factory exhaust to fall back on, or put it on for resale. if I did the work for you I'd weld it, some muffler shops are fairly cheap as well. I noticed a slightly deeper sound with the 2.5in but it seems to backfire more( or maybe its just more noticable) either way sounds excellent, and I know because I've had both. plus a few more.

and as far as staying away from honda sound, bigger pipes, more packing in muffler ( dynomax over a can or glasspack) and keep the damn resonator. I tried eliminating the resonator in conjunction with a flowmaster super44, and it sounded just like a civic, I wanted to shoot myself. glasspack resonator is better than nothing, but it still doesn't beat factory

joel always says I'm the guy to ask about the exhaust on these rigs. done more playing around with my na than anyone should:p

That is indeed stock. From advanced auto but stock replacement. Only parts that are not stock replacement is the muffler and the tip.

scubiecraig

I'll take your word for it Matt. I like your idea of having the backup with the OEM exhaust and using the WRX to hack up... so yeah, I agree that is a smart idea.

i-wagon

when my dynomax rotted apart, I had a brand new factory muffler to put on. nice insurance. let me know what you end up doing, curious to see how it comes out

scubiecraig

So I got the muffler in today and I picked up the WRX axleback earlier this week. It seems the WRX exhaust is 2.25", not 2.5" as I thought it was. So the muffler I have, I will have to get a reducer to fit the axleback. D'oh!

scubiecraig

Yeah, I'm gonna pick one up at Napa sometime this week. I also need to pick up some exhaust clamps for the time being. Oh, and a hacksaw!

scubiecraig

I'm not really sure Joe. I mean I can hack up the old WRX axleback and get the pieces assembled in my basement... however I am not going to be lying on the dirt ground putting this thing on. My wife would kill me. It most likely won't be put on until springtime.

Latest posts

Back