Achieving That Subie "rumble"

scubiecraig

Alright, I'll keep that in mind! I've got Chris Apkarian coming over sometime this week hopefully... doing up some headlight mods
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

i-wagon

you can get everything test fitted and snug off the car, then pop it on and make adjustments in about ten minutes. just make sure you lube the bolts holding the axleback to the midpipe before you take them apart, and maybe have repacement bolts ready to go. I ended up snapping mine last time I had it apart, and I never-siezed the shite out of it

scubiecraig

Thanks for the tip! I've got the WRX axleback cut up and I've got the reducer and new muffler ready to go. I can't work on my back outside right now... 1) it's too damn cold, and 2) if I hurt my back even more I am SOL. I really need to do this when it's warmer and I can get up under there and like you said, test fit everything so that the angles are right... clamp it down, and then eventually I do think I'll need to weld it. Where the new muffler attaches to the piping, its at an angle, and I really don't know how long a muffler clamp would hold sufficiently because of that angle. It looks like an exhaust leak waiting to happen.

scubiecraig

So I did end up doing this. Sounds pretty good, but I still want more. I'm looking into a wrx header now. Following Apkarian100's route!

Jamey

I just got a wrx header hopefully I'll be installing by next weekend , I am afraid of it being raspy for I don't have silencers for my exhaust , and you have heard my exhaust , is it to Honda sounding ??

scubiecraig

Mine doesn't sound like a Honda at all. It's not raspy either. I don't think you'll have any issues, because the WRX header has unequal length pipes. That's what causes the rumble.

Mighty Subie

I have a spare set of headers. No heat shields on them because they wouldn't come off so I could take them off, so I had to grind the bolt heads off.

cwiggin

I also wanna get some headers and do what akparian did for my legacy, I put on some thrush mufflers but I want that rumble, n need a cat back or axleback

i-wagon

Bumping this for getting rumble. If you weld, or have a friend who welds, the wrx header mod isn't that difficult. Figure on the cost of used header, normally cheap, 10 or so for o2 sensor bungs, 5 ish for a piece of pipe, and I got lucky and got a "close enough" 3 bolt flange for 5 at tractor supply (took a chainsaw file and touched up the holes) then the rest is time, energy, cursing and welding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

Bumping this for getting rumble. If you weld, or have a friend who welds, the wrx header mod isn't that difficult. Figure on the cost of used header, normally cheap, 10 or so for o2 sensor bungs, 5 ish for a piece of pipe, and I got lucky and got a "close enough" 3 bolt flange for 5 at tractor supply (took a chainsaw file and touched up the holes) then the rest is time, energy, cursing and welding.
. I paid 50 for wrx header still need get bungs I am also getting a resenator welded in hopefully few weeks it be done

i-wagon

I didn't have to extend the write for the rear sensor, if you pull the airbox, then the metal shields covering the injectors you can split of the plug from the other one and run it back

i-wagon

... I forgot to paste the link, sorry. My 07 I just relocated the factory wiring, no extension

scubiecraig

Those headers are nice, but I can't justify paying that much for a set of headers that don't even produce any performance gains. It's sound only. He is currently working on a performance header though.

Latest posts

Back