Autocross 2007 Discussion

katnip

the car is black. I swear
I stopped by to see the crew today. (rookie here parked in the wrong spot) All looked to be having a good time. Especially Pedro in his girlie car
default_biggrin.png

subieRSgrrl

Had a blast today!! We even had some sun in the morning, which quickly turned to rain. But it was fun anyway.

I got a ton of movies and pictures, but i'm way too tired to unload anything tonight. Looking forward to another fun day tomorrow.

Good night.

R

redlinerally

I only got pictures of the first run group (Akina, Pedro, Mrs. Pedro, BlackSTI2006) which I will upload later.

R

redlinerally

Oh, BTW:

Ralli finished first in STX with his 200(3?) Impreza Wagon. His FTD was a low 60 seconds. He beat out the 2nd place guy by only 1 SECOND!
default_biggrin.png

Should be interesting to see what happens today. WRXav8r is running the same class as Ralli, so this should be fun! ;D

ruggedman

Oh, BTW:

Ralli finished first in STX with his 200(3?) Impreza Wagon. His FTD was a low 60 seconds. He beat out the 2nd place guy by only 1 SECOND!
default_wink.png

Should be interesting to see what happens today. WRXav8r is running the same class as Ralli, so this should be fun! ;D
I told my friend Mike to join the STX battle with his GC today and he listened. I told him it would be more fun to compete in a class full of subies and whatnot then to try to catch John Miller in the ultimate STS car...so he took 2nd away from Ralli today (sorry ant for doing that
default_biggrin.png
:-[ you and mikey will have fun going back and forth this year i think!). 1st place in STX today was a new SE-R.

I loved storyland this year. I took 1st in DStock both days and ended up finishing 8th and 2nd
default_biggrin.png
overall on respective days. Today's one dry run where i came in with a 55.8 was MOVING.

R

redlinerally

Just throwing it out there... but...

In light of Saturday and Sunday's events, I'm thinking CMC needs to seriously consider re-working a few rules...

1.) No course down-time so KART drivers can take a run, switch driver/KART and run again. Run a car in between to cycle the queue!

2.) Timing trailer/car number problems...

2a.) Either move the trailer so that the timing people can easily view the queue for car numbers...

2b.) OR change protocol so the worker at the queue _ALWAYS_ radios in the number

3.) Train the course workers better. While the workers certainly know what a cone knock-over is, some of them don't know how to properly use a radio! :
default_biggrin.png

4.) Re-work how the run groups go. Instead of doing even/odd groups, run groups according to class, just like NER does. This way, you can compare apples to apples within the group because the weather is THAT less likely to change between run groups. The evens really got bent over on Saturday. The odds got 3 dry runs, while the evens had the wet halfway through the first batch... >
default_wink.png

5.) Purchase more/better radios. There were some corner workers that didn't have any. I had to lend my personal FRS to the queue worker in order to communicate the numbers. :
default_biggrin.png

That's all I can think of right now. I am sure there is more... but these are the ones that really stuck out in my mind. Anyone else?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Remember that this is a local club event. Not an SCCA Reigonal event.

I would rather stay away from some of the NER 'esque parts. That kind of stuff ends up being a whole lot less fun. Storyland is always a bit of an oddity since you can't see the whole course from the timing trailer. This event ran smoothly for having 100ish drivers both days with 5 runs each in the rain. If we started running like NER, we would stop everything for the karts. SCCA mandates that there be no cars running at all when the karts are going.

R

redlinerally

I'm not suggesting to change to an NER/SCCA type setup. I'm simply making some observations on what can be done to improve the flow of the event. Communication, I feel, is lacking between the workers.

While NER certainly has it's own workflow faults, I think the course workers pay attention to their surroundings a little better. I can't tell you how many times traffic was un-intentionally allowed to travel across the upper portion of the course WITHOUT radio confirmation, or advance notice. It was quite frustrating when a course worker would radio in to hold start but start didn't hear or they had already sent someone. Although a car was approaching, the course workers would still let the traffic through while the course was hot. This is BAD joo-joo. The police car is a good case in point.

In order for the event to be fun for everyone (INCLUDING those who are assigned/volunteered to work) I think things need to be better explained and procedures created/followed. Does that make sense? :-

ruggedman

Just throwing it out there... but...

In light of Saturday and Sunday's events, I'm thinking CMC needs to seriously consider re-working a few rules...

1.) No course down-time so KART drivers can take a run, switch driver/KART and run again. Run a car in between to cycle the queue!

2.) Timing trailer/car number problems...

ruggedman

In order for the event to be fun for everyone (INCLUDING those who are assigned/volunteered to work) I think things need to be better explained and procedures created/followed. Does that make sense? :-
It's all well outlined during the driver's meeting. The fact that people choose not to listen when they should isn't anything we can change as far as i know.

R

redlinerally

...and from what I've heard NER events are not fun, BSP STi James said he was "spoken to" like 8 times at an NER event.
In order to "get spoken to" at an NER event, you've obviously done something really off the wall. I've been at every NER event since last August, and the only people I've seen get spoken to involve themselves in Asshattery. :
default_wink.png

I'm not trying to down CMC. I really like how the majority of the organization is setup. I'm simply saying what is on my mind after observing/partaking in Saturday's event. I realize that with every new year comes new people and training, along with working out the bugs/glitches in the system. While these bumps are indeed a PITA, they are sometimes neccessary to reveal the issues that need attention.

ralli

...and from what I've heard NER events are not fun, BSP STi James said he was "spoken to" like 8 times at an NER event.
In order to "get spoken to" at an NER event, you've obviously done something really off the wall. I've been at every NER event since last August, and the only people I've seen get spoken to involve themselves in Asshattery. :
default_wink.png

I'm not trying to down CMC. I really like how the majority of the organization is setup. I'm simply saying what is on my mind after observing/partaking in Saturday's event. I realize that with every new year comes new people and training, along with working out the bugs/glitches in the system. While these bumps are indeed a PITA, they are sometimes neccessary to reveal the issues that need attention.
I'm going to interject here and tell you that you are both talking about two entirely different aspects of NER..

NER Rallycross folk is what TPH is talking about which is a great bunch of people, down to earth and just plain wonderful. But.. they run rallycrosses

Jeremy, have you been to an NER autocross.. if you were than you would know more of what we are getting at. Also, feedback is great, however, the CMC events just 3 years ago, 60 people was huge and unmanageable.. CMC has come a long ways and done a lot to evolve.

Now I think the biggest problem of the weekend was radios (2nd biggest was some issues with registration and paperwork stuff but that wasnt too bad). I thought I remember someone was supposed to buy a hole bunch of the same/new radios.. that I believe would of helped a lot. But it was a great event.

And I do have to say.. the NER autocross side (which James and Andy speak of).. I'll just say that the National Tour event I went to was more fun and more laid back and relaxed than most of the others I have been to. That is all I have to say about that.

R

redlinerally

Alright. My bad. I didn't know that NER ran Auto-x as well. My apoligies for the comparison.

I meant to compare the NER RallyX organization to CMC. I see how NER runs the RallyX portion, and I think if CMC adopts some of the procedures, things would go much more smoothly.

As for the radios, IIRC, Dan said they are arriving today VIA FedEx/UPS.

ruggedman

Alright. My bad. I didn't know that NER ran Auto-x as well. My apoligies for the comparison.

I meant to compare the NER RallyX organization to CMC. I see how NER runs the RallyX portion, and I think if CMC adopts some of the procedures, things would go much more smoothly.

Yep new radios today! OH JOY OF JOYS!!!

ralli

Yeah.. Radios will make the biggest difference.. that is great.

prez25rs

default_wink.png
FWIW james was spoken to by 3 different people because his numbers werent exactly the right size/color or something stupid like that. A friend of ours was spoken to because he was filming without a spotter and he was clearly not in harms way. There were other things he was spoken to for, but i forget now. From james' comments people are just too uptight at the NER, not as much fun

ruggedman

default_wink.png
FWIW james was spoken to by 3 different people because his numbers werent exactly the right size/color or something stupid like that.

ruggedman

Yeah.. Radios will make the biggest difference.. that is great.
Hey Antonio remember how I was saying it's been a long time since i beat you at an event? Yeah...it was May 23rd, 2004 my first event ever...hadn't beaten you since then. I had you at family affair in Freeport on 7/16/05, but i nipped a cone at the start (which i have a video of). If i hadnt me, you, and brian all would have been within a .15 of a second of each other for 1, 2, and 3 in STS. Man those were the days of inches!

Latest posts

Back