Autocross 2007 Discussion

akinaspeedstar

haha i thought it might have been you.
default_biggrin.png

my dad said that you drove the same car is did... except that it's an 06.... um... dad that's not the same car... haha

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Tires are heat cycled and cooling in the garage. I am picking up the last of the stuff we need tonight and packing the trailer.

Looks like I might have to hit Walmart ... I need a bungee cord net thing.. and I can't think of where else I would get one.

EvilAsPie

So pedro are you going to have your grill available if people bring stuff to grill up? I have a canopy i'm bringing, i heard you had one and we could put them together and make a STM pit.

Also i had read on the CMC forum of a $79.00 deal at the grand hotel in North Conway. I called them and they hadn't heard about it, but gave me that price anyway. Sounded like they still had some rooms available for saturday night, if people need a place.

looks like we might get a rain shower on saturday, but all in all it should be a fantastic weekend.

in reality the weather is going to be perfect!!! and no one say different!!

;D >
default_biggrin.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I will have the grill with me. It is tiny so don't go expecting that beast that I have in the garage!

There is going to be a pretty good contingency of Canopies going up in the morning. You are more than welcome to jump in there as well.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
reynolds has those bungie nets, but unless your going to visit the folks that's a bit of a hike
I was just in Buxton last night. damn..

I found that Dicks Sporting goods has the ATV bungie thing. I may check that out.

subieRSgrrl

There is going to be a pretty good contingency of Canopies going up in the morning. You are more than welcome to jump in there as well.
Is there room for an onlooker/camerawoman under that tent too? I don't take up too much room.... :
default_biggrin.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Is there room for an onlooker/camerawoman under that tent too? I don't take up too much room.... :
default_smile.png
Just bring a chair for yourself. I can only seem to find one of mine :
default_smile.png

EvilAsPie

Inski got mike and my cars aligned today. After all the work, new tires, and the great alignment the obs is like a different car!

Many thanks to inski for squeezing us in!!!

Pics of the project and garage time coming soon.

inski

Your welcome. Now get out there and enjoy. Remember you wont be Juan Montoya the first day, but by mid summer you guys will be feeling your own potential. Driving fast is not natural for anyone, you have to learn how to do it. Dont be afraid to ask people like Pedro, or Jason, or Chris Moberg to ride along with you and give some critique.

Walk the course as many times as you can, learn it, drive it quick the first time without going offcourse, then hit it hard the next 3 runs. You'll have spots that stand out to you where you'll know you can improve.

You are gonna wonder why you took so long to start auto-xing.

inski

whenever I get my shit together. 4 blown struts on the RS. Golf isn't really my car right now, its the kid's car, but I'm sure we'll both go in the Golf once he gets his license (aug).

akinaspeedstar

thanks inski! car feels great. way better then before. on the way something went pop loud. but it was probaly something settling or a tire setting a bead something. not worried about it.

can't wait for the weekend!

inski

check your tires and look at your camber angles. Could be something like a swaybar link adjusting itself. Could be something else. I did not do your car, but the guy who did knows what he's doing. I saw the final adjustments and its right where you want it. Shake it up on the road a bit and make sure nothing sounds or feels funny.

akinaspeedstar

yeah i went back and made sure there wasn't a pot hole or something. there was a little one, but i also took it like a jack ass. then i gave it a bit of a hot supper just to make sure nothing was wrong that i could tell, no shakes or weird handeling. so im just gonna take it that something was setteling. it did almost kinda sound like a tire bead setting, and they did do those too so im not gonna worry about it.

ruggedman

Your welcome. Now get out there and enjoy. Remember you wont be Juan Montoya the first day, but by mid summer you guys will be feeling your own potential. Driving fast is not natural for anyone, you have to learn how to do it. Dont be afraid to ask people like Pedro, or Jason, or Chris Moberg to ride along with you and give some critique.

Walk the course as many times as you can, learn it, drive it quick the first time without going offcourse, then hit it hard the next 3 runs. You'll have spots that stand out to you where you'll know you can improve.

You are gonna wonder why you took so long to start auto-xing.
The best thing i can say is walk the course a lot, bring a notepad to write it down and plan your way through. Learn what the cone formations mean, it seems simple but it's not completely natural until you've got about 3-4 events under you belt. One thing that gets everyone is not looking ahead, dont look at the next gate or the next key cone, or even the apex of the corner. Rather imagine your line through the course and look a few gates ahead, when you see the course as a single flowing line rather than just a bunch of turns put together you're well on your way to getting a good feel.

My mistake always was too much throttle and too much brake way too fast. It was seriously all or nothing. 100% throttle or 0%. I've learned the value of throttle modulation....maybe others dont have that problem, but I grew up driving really underpowered cars ;D

You can make yourself go crazy if you try to do learn too much at a single event. Keep it simple and dont hit cones or go offcourse.

EvilAsPie

The best thing i learned when i did it a couple of years ago was if you felt slower but smoother it was probably faster. My goal for at least the first half of the season is to keep my runs as clean as possible and pick up as much advice as possible.

It all begins is 3 days!

EvilAsPie

TPH, Redline, Jeremy, who know who you are. I just got a call from Jason at CMC and i finally have my number. Is too late to have a number plate made? The only reason i am posting here is for reference if anybody else still needs numbers.

If its not too late, what is the fastest way to get the order to you. Probably your website ah?

Latest posts

Back