Battery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
So, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
I personally think (take this for what its worth) that you need to just be worried about getting in your car and having it start every time, and get you where you're going. Picking up a couple buddies and heading to the movies, not swapping motors. Being the age you are, and this being your first car, nothing else is important really. You are also not affording this car on your own.

A new battery definitely falls in the category of al excellent idea, but doing things like moving your battery to your trunk, not suck a good idea.

You have to take a step back and also realize that you're driving a 11 year old car that in the end isn't worth doing things like full car paint jobs and Red Top batteries relocated to the trunk. You would be throwing money at this car (that you don't have) that you will NEVER get back out of it. Once you are out of school, and get to the self sufficient point where you can flush money down the drain on your car like everyone else. Then go wild.

Drive the tires off this thing. Get yourself through high school and college. If you still have it and love it then, toss some money at it. You haven't yet, but you WILL stuff this car in a snow banking. Don't worry you don't have much into it. Your dumbass friend WILL back into it with his first car. Don't worry you don't have much into it. You WILL spill an entire big gulp on the passenger seat be accident. Don't worry you don't have much into it. Get where I'm going with this.

I had the oppertunity to buy my first vehicle from my dad. I had to pay for it on my own, but it allowed me to get into a low miles reliable vehicle for much less then it was worth. (Thanks dad). I did nothing but drive the crap out of it through high school and commuted to college. You know what, when I got out of school, I still have a low miles truck that I loved. But it had a bent bumper from sliding off the road, dings dents and scratches. I went out and took out a small personal loan on my own, and bought some wheels and got a paint job on the truck, and lowered it. Then I made it my own.

/rant/advice

As for the battery just go buy yourself a decent middle grade battery. Chances are the battery you have now has lasted 11years. The next one you buy will last longer then you need as long as you don't kill it by leaving a dome light on or something. Put it in the stock location, and enjoy!
THIS THIS THIS. I've been trying to convey this idea for a while. Don't worry about throwing money at your car. Drive it stock into the ground. Nategr8ns, you just friended me on facebook, go through my pictures because I have a million of my car. See all the fun I've had with it? STOCK. Five years of fun, all stock. I didn't need swaps or paint jobs or ridiculous **** that isn't worth it for my pile. Being a student makes you poor, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun. Drive your car and enjoy it, don't worry about your mod list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
No offense guys, but please don't get on my case about derailing threads if you're going to do it too. I'm definitely not going to be adding any high-power audio stuff, so will any battery be fine? I still can't figure out if that taller Interstate bat. (the MT-35) will fit or not.

To try to end the above discussion, I don't really want to throw any money at it at all. When I talk about stuff I want to do, its stuff I want to do, not stuff I'm going to do. Kind of like the 2.2 thread which followed the RWD thread.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Get the mt-35. It will be less then $100 and it will last for the rest of that cars life. If you dont get that then just go to napa and pick up the cheapest option they say will fit.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
nate why try to complicate something simple

go to autozone

tell them year & model of your car, they give you some options of cheap, medium, expenszive of a size that fits

pick what works for your pocketbook

hook up and forget dumb stuff like moving batt to trunk

BTW did you know that if you relocate battery inside passenger compartment (like "trunk of OBS) it's automaic FAIL for inspection???!!

TheNailman

Warcock
hey dammit. ....whats wrong with battery location?
default_smile.png

nothing wrong with 50/50 weight distribution. ........ nigel you sexy *****.

Ryan

Just picked up a something brand "gold" at Advanced Auto for like $90 bucks. Works for me
default_wink.png

4WRXter

Skier!
If it was a perfect world, I would probably get a DieHard whenever I needed a battery. However, whenever I truly NEED a battery, I can't get out of town, so I get an Interstate locally. Good 'nuff fer NASCAR.

Mighty Subie

the generic one the PO put in my WRX has been there since at least summer of 05. Since it's not stock, it means the OEM one died between 02-05 but this aftermarket one that probably cost a ton less, has lasted 5 years.. My vote is for going to the local parts store and picking up one that fits.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I agree with WRXnate! Well said. I have thrown money at my car for some things, like new radio, some bits and pieces to make it nicer on the inside. But mostly I've thrown money at fixing things that break. I keep it in good condition, brakes, steering, tires, etc. But I don't have the money right now to make it fancy. But is it fun? HELL YEA!

As for battery. I'm holding off for a bit because I'm waiting to see what I do with driving lights. If I go highish wattage I'll probably get a slightly bigger battery than otherwise.

Stein

Stein
So the average battery won't handle much more than, just a guess at a norm, 35w? Isn't there another weak link with the lighting system? I seem to recall reading something about a guy burning through wiring.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'm not saying that. It would be fine. But while upgrading the battery, if I'm doing lighting and can afford it, I may as well get a better battery.

I wouldn't run more than 35watt over the stock wiring. It is pretty small. I'll do solenoids or something.

patsti

NitrousFed
I dont know if you got a battery but this thread is ****ing pissing me off... DUDE go to walmart... yeah the one in falmouth is fine! buy the cheapest battery that fits your car... if they have one a lil more crank to it that has the same polls and same size BUY THAT!!! They are $39.99-79.99 (for the YELLOW MAXX ONE)... These cheap 39-49 is fine... the next step 59-69 is great... the 69-79 is about as good as a redtop (**** you if you dont agree... I dont care) So go get the cheap one... they last a long time... or go to Autozone spend $35 ON A USED TOP OF THE LINE BATTERY(THEY TAKE THEM OFF THE SHELF AFTER A CERTAIN TIME AND HAVE A WARANTY!).

blah!

Nate

Founding Father
Ive replace batteries in some older used cars with Walmart batteries too. Sold the vehicles with them in it. Never had one fail. I would suspect that you can get one for $50 or less. You don't need anything else.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I dont know if you got a battery but this thread is ****ing pissing me off... DUDE go to walmart... yeah the one in falmouth is fine! buy the cheapest battery that fits your car... if they have one a lil more crank to it that has the same polls and same size BUY THAT!!! They are $39.99-79.99 (for the YELLOW MAXX ONE)... These cheap 39-49 is fine... the next step 59-69 is great... the 69-79 is about as good as a redtop (**** you if you dont agree... I dont care) So go get the cheap one... they last a long time... or go to Autozone spend $35 ON A USED TOP OF THE LINE BATTERY(THEY TAKE THEM OFF THE SHELF AFTER A CERTAIN TIME AND HAVE A WARANTY!). blah!
this isn't as bad as the car thread...

Nate

Founding Father
this isn't as bad as the car thread...
Haha. I think if we gave it another couple months it would be. Next he might post some craigslist adds for used batteries and ask if we think those are any good .

patsti

NitrousFed
Ive replace batteries in some older used cars with Walmart batteries too. Sold the vehicles with them in it. Never had one fail. I would suspect that you can get one for $50 or less. You don't need anything else.
Thank you... !

If i tell you something isn't necessary... LISTEN! I believe in over kill!

If you want tho... we can spray paint your car candy orange VIP paint... we can cut the springs and lift the back with springs spacers... we can put bolts thru your tires (it works!) we can roof mount your battery and passenger seat and we can get you a whistle tip so you can go WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !

oh and we can turn the rims around to get bigger lips!

patsti

NitrousFed
Holy crap! Does that actually work!?
default_tongue.png
lol... no it doesn't... well you can with SOME old school 2 piece wheels flip them around to have bigger lips (you flip the faces) not really the safest thing to do but it works (and never seen anything bad come of it).

I was joking with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back