das GL!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
What exactly is the difference between "lo" and "high" range modes? I know that's what makes it a dual-range tranny, but I wasn't able to figure out what the little dial changes.
There is a lever by the shifter for switching between FWD, 4high, and 4 low. FWD and 4high are the same, except 4high locks the center diff to transfer power to the rear diff. And since it is locked, no running 4wd on pavement!

4low is the same as 4high except that it reduces the output to the diffs by 1.6. So for the same revs you get less wheel speed. Good for crawling over stuff, getting un-stuck, etc.

^ bungee cord? j/k..... if it's wiggle-able just slap a coat hanger on it pulling it away
I was planning on employing some cloths hanger technology. It is just barely touching, only sometimes scrapes. Nothing bad at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Ah, so its all in the diffs. Thanks for clearing that up.
It's all in the transmission, actually. Nothing changes in the diffs. The only diff that changes is the center diff, it is either locked (4wd) or opened (fwd).

For low range I believe there is a gear set on the input shaft that reduces the speed coming from the engine. Thus reducing the revs to the whole drivetrain giving you more engine revs per wheel speed.

Stein

Stein
Woah, that was my first theory.

But then I was all like: "Naw, there's no way they'd put 5 extra gears in there..."

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Woah, that was my first theory.But then I was all like: "Naw, there's no way they'd put 5 extra gears in there..."
It isn't 5 extra gears. It is 2 gears. Like a pre-transmission if you want to think of it like that.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah that noise has been there ever since I replaced the doughnut gasket. It tightened up the exhaust and pulled it up onto the driveshaft, especially on deceleration.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yeah that noise has been there ever since I replaced the doughnut gasket. It tightened up the exhaust and pulled it up onto the driveshaft, especially on deceleration.
Yes, the noise doesn't bother me, I'm just afraid it is going to eat through the exhaust pipe. The other thing it is running kinda crappy, but I think it has major vacuum leakage. A lot of the hoses have gone hard, are cracked, and one even has a slit in it. Do you know when the plugs and wires were replaced last?

IBratmanI

I just replaced the plugs and wires. They are all brand new. It may have a vacuum leak, but I dunno. My honest opinion is......drive it!! Pretty much every older Subaru I've ever had spits and sputters every once in a while. But you might be able to track it down. It's hard to find those hoses now. Maybe something aftermarket would fit. As I pointed out, it also has a new fuel filter.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I just replaced the plugs and wires. They are all brand new. It may have a vacuum leak, but I dunno. My honest opinion is......drive it!! Pretty much every older Subaru I've ever had spits and sputters every once in a while. But you might be able to track it down. It's hard to find those hoses now. Maybe something aftermarket would fit. As I pointed out, it also has a new fuel filter.
I thought the plugs and wires looked pretty new. I've just been driving it. Once it warms up it's much better. I've been having so much fun in it! And my parents think it is an awesome car. I took my little sister for a little ride around, and she thought it was pretty awesome too
default_smile.png

Mainly the vacuum hoses aren't sealing onto things like the head vents, and where they connect to stuff, so maybe I'll just replace the spring clip things with real hose clamps. I can hear a hissing, and spraying carb cleaner around changes idle a bit. I like tinkering, that's part of why I got this in the first place!

So I did my first mod today... Filled it up with gas!!
default_additional_sillylol.gif

I also took my GPS for a ride so I could get a hang for how fast it goes at what RPM in what gear. It isn't to far off from my legacy, which is nice.

And even if it is really crappy weather again tomorrow, I WILL get some pics. I promise.

default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
default_banana.gif
default_smile.png
default_banana.gif
:banana:
default_banana.gif
default_banana.gif
default_banana.gif
<-- that's me every time I get in the driver's seat and turn the key. Oh, and after being used a bunch, the starter hasn't acted up again, contacts or something probably just needed some exercise.

IBratmanI

That's great. Really glad you ended up with it and are having soooo much fun. It is fun to tinker on it, I have quite a bit of time into the things I've done to it (I told you about the motor swap!) Can't wait to see more pics!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Had to run some errands this morning, so I took some pics and vids. There'll be more this afternoon!

Both my cars:

This one is for you Nate:

If it's bad weather, go to the beach suby style!!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Cold start this morning

More vids to come!

IBratmanI

Funny you say that. I have a muffler that I was going to put on. It is a small diameter round muffler, that would go on pretty easy. Come by and take a look if you want. Great pics!!! What beach is that??

I've been thinking the same thing ...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Funny you say that. I have a muffler that I was going to put on. It is a small diameter round muffler, that would go on pretty easy. Come by and take a look if you want. Great pics!!! What beach is that??
Oooh, I'll have to stop by some time and take a look!

Thea beach is if you go to the launching ramp by the fort in pemaquid. Drive down the launching ramp, take a right over some rockyness, and then you're on beachyness. Not huge, but fun.

IBratmanI

Nice, I thought it must be down there. Yeah, come by and take a look at it when you get a chance!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Woke up to a little snow this morning!

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

And Jason, I'll definitely have to stop by and look at that muffler. A louder exhaust would just fit so well with the car. But I'm going to wait until after inspection. Because it's already iffy whether it is going to pass or not.... I don't want to add a deterrent.

IBratmanI

Yeah, just let me know!! I also have something else you might be interested in, but it will cost ya!! LOL Let me know when you wanna stop by.

Latest posts

Back