das GL!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I hadn't thought about trying to easy-out it. Good idea.

I did get the screw out of the driver's side front with vice grips. Squashed it all to death, but napa is getting me new ones for both sides on the front.

I'm not sure about that support, I'll take it to a local welding shop in the near future and see what they have to say about it.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Dude!! That's crazy. I can see a couple of those things but I didn't expect all that. As for the rear suspension thing, I never even saw that!! I would cllean it up good with a grinder or something, and do something similar to what spin said, wrap it with some metal and weld her on. It Isn't really in any chance of causing any failure. So I would just make it look better. And as foor the bleeder screws, damn I guess youu are more rugged than I thought!! LOL. I kinda wish you had come over and had me give you a hand. They can be a pain, but I've never had that happen before. But if you want the rear discs, like I said, I'll give them to you for half what I got them for. At least you are getting experience lime you wantted to!! Like I said, anytime you got a question, you can give me a call!!! Sorry about all the little issues.

IBratmanI

Another optionn is when I figure out a way to get a car ttrailer, I have to go gget that other car I told you about, if the rear suspension is good on that, you can have it!!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Another optionn is when I figure out a way to get a car ttrailer, I have to go gget that other car I told you about, if the rear suspension is good on that, you can have it!!
cool! i may have to take you up on that!

i may have been a little rough on that rear one :/ dunno.

i'll try the easy out when i get a new screw. the front one was so rusted the screw head was barely even recognisable, so i'm not surprised it turned. but it'll come out and it'll be fine.

the thing i'm most annoyed about is the suspension thing.

i've cooled off from the insection failure, i bought an old modded car, i expected some issues on the way. it's so much fun i don't mind a few little issues.

such an awesome car
default_smile.png

IBratmanI

I'm really glad to hear that you aren't too upset about it. I mean, I knew it wasn't perfect, but it was priced accordingly I think for that. And I tried to be as thorough at telling you evrything about it. I just hope you are having fun with it, even though you are working on it!! Again, anytime you need help, let me know!!! And yeah, keep your ears open for a car trailer!!! And let me know about the rear discs.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
i'm having fun with it!! i wanted something to tinker with, and this is a fun car. i'll have a stcker on it next week
default_smile.png

IBratmanI

Ya know, I think I may have some regular size wheels for that too, if you want them. I actually have a set with tires on them too that will probably work. But if you come over sometime soon, I'll explain them to you

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Since my GF is back from PA not much will be done for the next few days. but I would like to borrow those tires this weekend because next week I'll have everything all set.

IBratmanI

OK let me know. I should be around this weekend. But let me know!!! I got a bunch goin on because of my trip next week. But no prob. They are actually in storage in Newcastle.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
alright. if it doesn't work this weekend that's fine because wednesday i'm leaving for a week.

Smiththers

i miss my '87 GL Wagon, sure it was carbed, but had that 4WD with low range, and would pull other cars..... slowly... hahahaha

IBratmanI

Ok well just let me know. I should be able to meet up with you Saturday afternoon.

alright. if it doesn't work this weekend that's fine because wednesday i'm leaving for a week.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So I did a lot of work today. I got all the old poorly done bondoage out of the rear left quarter. Used a grinder to get all the rust away, primed the ground bit, then cut and riveted sheet aluminum over the gaping hole. (pics of all this to come). Then I used silicon to seal around the edges between the car metal and the new metal. Looks nice.

Then while I was waiting for primer and stuff I was making fender flares out of garden edger, and they look alright, I'm not a huge fan, but I'll post pics to get every one's opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I had a rather upsetting moment...

I took it out for a drive, to where I knew I'd find some nice puddles. Because my car is all muddy (I forgot to mention that I went out wheelin' and got muddy). I wanted to see if they'd stop the water from washing the mud off, if the mud is still there, the flares work, right? So I went for a quick little jont through the puddles. And ...
default_additional_ranting.gif
Car started running really crappy, and finally died. Would start, but not have any power, then just wouldn't run at all. I was really frustrated so I jogged the 4 miles home, since the GL was low on gas, I was hoping I'd just run out. I grabbed my jug of gas and some WD40 for the disty and electrical connectors. I rode it all back on my moped. Pulled apart every electrical connector and sprayed it, sprayed the disty, etc. Then it would sort of start, but not run. Eventually I killed the battery. So rode home, drove back in the legacy with a fresh battery and cables... Got the GL running (but really crappy) and got all my stuff home.

The I let it sit and idle while I took a shower and made some tea, afterwards I took it for a drive, and it runs fine. Which is good, but the wet thing is really annoying.

IBratmanI

Sounds like she drank some water. Check the oil to see if you it looks milky at all, and over full.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I checked the oil, it isn't high. A tad low, actually. As for being milky, it is hard to tell. It may be a little tiny smidge milky. In the world of 4-stroke outboard engines if I see oil that may be a tiny smidge milky I change it, so I'll give her fresh oil tomorrow before going to get my sticker.

I also checked the tranny oil, which was interesting. It is WAY full. More than an inch above the full line on the stick. But not milky at all. (possible water in the bottom pushing the oil up, but hasn't had enough time to go milky yet?) The interesting thing is that it doesn't seem like heavy gear oil, it's the colour, smell, and consistency of just normal engine oil. Is filling these trannies really full of normal engine oil a common practice? Or should I change it?

It's like there's a little neon sign floating above my head that says " EJ22 SWAP ... EJ22 SWAP ..."

That would be absolutely awesome. And I hope to some day do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

It should have gear oil in it, get some right at NAPA. I have honestly never touched it. As for the running like crap thing, it must have gotten some water some where it didn't like. Obviously not the oil though, and I wouldn't say the tranny either (that wouldn't effect how it runs anyway). Maybe try a new disty cap? They are cheap, so maybe try it, but I dunno. I never had it do that to me, and I drove it plenty of rainy days, never took it in much water though.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It runs fine after letting it sit and idle for about 20 minutes. So obviously that dried the water out of wherever the water shouldn't have been (most likely disty cap). So since it is running well now, I know nothing is really that wrong with it. Going through small bodies of water doesn't upset it any, so maybe I'll just come up with a method of waterproofing the disty. I'm not overly worried about it.

About the tranny, I just checked it because I was already under the hood and have never pulled the dip stick out to take a look.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
passed inspection today!!! W00T!! But ....... they were all out of inspection stickers ....
default_additional_thumbsup.gif
default_additional_sillylol.gif
:lol:
default_additional_sillylol.gif
:rant:

So I'll have to go back next week. Tomorrow I'm leaving the state for a week, so hopefully they'll have more stickers by then. I'm really pissed about that, but I'm glad it passed.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
LMAO!! Congrats......sorta. Good to hear though.
I hope next week all the planets align for me and it will pass again. They said I'd have to have it inspected again because it could break or something by the time I take it back in next week.

I'm still really excited that they have it a thumbs up.

Latest posts

Back