das GL!

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Huh?? Why dent the fender though? I had bigger, wider tires and they never rubbed there. I would have just trimmed a bit. But I guess that works!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I suppose I could trim it... Once I lengthen the radius rods it won't be a problem at all. Pushing the wheel an inch forwards will correct the camber and put the wheel in a better place for clearance.

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
default_additional_rockon.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The DS front bearing is the only one I haven't replaced since having the car. It's been wobbling and shaking lately, ie. pretty bad. So finally my new ones came in the mail today so I could replace it. WOW! Bout time too, I have the rallyx tomorrow.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's probably not apparent from this thread... But this car still does exist!!

Recently I had the front right brake caliper have a seized piston. I bought new ones. The new one fits fine on the right side (as it should). The new one doesn't fit at all on the left side... The mounting holes are further appart. AFAIK there's only one size for these cars, I'm hella confused.

Anyway, the left side only had frozen pins, so I freed those up. The piston is sticky, but not stuck. So it'll be fine until I get the correct one from RA next week.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Some say he used to be a Lego pirate, and that now he's been painted white... All we know is HE'S THE STIG.

stig.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
So I haven't made an update about this thing in a while. It became my DD right after NEFR because rod knock in my outback lol... So in this time period I've had to replace the fuel pump, two fuel lines, a brake line, reboot an axle, rewire the whole charging system, and cut out some rust.

Now it needs a driveshaft u-joint, which is sucky, but I'm going to rebuild that when the new one comes in. Next I'm gonna replace everything in the cooling system BEFORE it has an issue. Then GL should be all sorted and ready to go. I'm kinda pissed it all had to happen at once when I'm depending on it, but now it's sorted and awesome again.

IBratmanI

Chris, is this thing still alive? I think remember reading somewhere that the rust had gotten the best of it
default_frown.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yea, I should probably have stopped driving it a long time ago. However, the fastest way to work this summer was through an old abandoned logging road. So it was my daily commuter through the woods. The foreward mounts on the rear subframe literally rusted off the car, the rear strut mounts are pretty much gone. Dunno how those are still holding in... But the engine and transmission are still strong. The engine has a nasty oil leak at the headgaskets, has for years. The rear subframe I replaced several years ago is doing well. I really just need a new car to swap all the good parts into. Throw headgaskets on the engine and I'll be on my way.

I spent the summer looking for cars within like 500 miles that weren't rusty and didn't run. That's really as far as I wanna drive a truck and trailer to pick something up, but didn't find much.

IBratmanI

That sucks. You've definitely gotten a lot of use out of it though! Too bad you weren't able to find something. There was that black RX in NH, but it needed the front frame rails patched. Still worth the work, and way better than your GL though. I'll let you know if i find something worth your time! It'd be cool to keep another old school car alive in the area!

Latest posts

Back