das GL!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It's raining on all my new un-painted metal :|

I'm annoyed I didn't have the time on friday to get it movable. I'm tempted to go out in the rain with an umbrella and bolt the driver's side suspension together just so I can move it inside....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
There's stuff in the way in my garage. Like engine blocks and stuff. But I can just run that crap right over
default_biggrin.png
haha.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Spent most of the morning working on a stupid server. Finally got it done and tested. I'll have to drop it off some time tomorrow. Wasting more car working time.

It finally warmed up a little bit so I went out to work. It's still cold though. So now I'm drinking tea warming up... I have all of the rear quarter welded in. Behind the back seat. And most of the inner fender well. It's TONS easier on the driver's side. Partly because of how it rusted, and partly because there's less stuff in the way. Like no banana dooker and I don't have to worry about lighting the gas tank on fire as much.

I have all the bad bits of the back of the quarter cut out. It's not going to be terribly hard to refabricate it. Mostly because I don't give a damn if it looks awful. Once that's done I forget to weld the hole that get's passenger's feet wet closed, then it's on to the final step. The front of the driver's side rocker. The big evil meany part.

It's going to rain on wednesday, but unfortunately my dad has woodworking stuff in the garage that has to be there till wendesday afternoon. So it's going to get rained on some more. Oh well. As of now the driveline and suspension are 100% together. So all I have to do to move it is bolt on the wheel and drive.

It isn't registered, insured, or inspected, but I took it for a drive all around the back roads. It's so nice to drive it again. I'll be very happy when it's back on the road. Even did some mild offroading, didn't want to get it too muddy before it's painted, and while I still have to work under it...

Anyway, I'll update this post later with some pics.

Didn't get as much done as I wanted. It's friggin' windy out! I'm being a whimp. So I came in.

I use flux core, so I can weld in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
PICTURES! Driver's side rocker is hopelessly rusty.

So to get rid of the rust, most of the rocker went away.

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

And this is where it all ended up...

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

Then I tacked in a new piece. Unfortunately the front bit was a bit thin where I tacked it. So now there's another plate up there, and it's in nice and solidly.

IMG_4222.jpg

Rear quarter fixed. No more stuff falling out of the trunk or getting wet.

IMG_4222.jpg

The front bit of the rear fender well. Behind the back seat. No more moldy nasty back seat.

IMG_4218.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the top and back of the wheel well. It's hard to get a good picture, just like it's a hard place to weld.

Oh, and... WELDING UPSIDE DOWN SUCKS.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
7/10 sockingtons of rust I say.

You're doing good work. Should be ready to race soon enough.

Get 'er all closed up and slam on that chassis saver. And yes, overhead welding sucks.

Matt

You could be the next boxer3main with his 5 rolls of welding wire!!!! Nice work though. Glad shes gonna live!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
He must be using the little roles...

Unlike him though, I cut all the rust out of my rockers before I weld in new metal.

Not pictured are the supports I welded in under the new metal in the rockers. So it should support the weight of the car at any point. At least, that's the idea. I'll play with the jack when I get it done.

7/10 sockingtons of rust I say.
HAHAHA.

Oh, and I probably won't have time at all to work on it tomorrow. Maybe I'll go out to the garage in the evening and get some more metal welded in. I'm SOOO close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Welding is ALL DONE! First coat of undercoat went on this afternoon. I'll get some more goop on there tomorrow. Damn that stuff is goopy.

I've gotten a lot better at making welds upside down look good. Found out a trick that works for me. Finally... If I had a machine that went cooler it would have been a lot easier. Oh well. It's done now.

I got it insured today, registration runs out tomorrow. Heh, so Monday I'll pay up on that and get it inspected!! Can't wait for that purple sticker of approval
default_biggrin.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I found one more hole I need to weld up in the floor. Not a big deal. So I'll do that tomorrow. Get two more coats of black. Then hopefully a coat of red by the end of the day. After it's all done up and nice I'll get some pictures.

I'm gonna paint the front fenders too.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Undercoat is all on. Front fenders are painted red!! I'm going away all of tomorrow, so Monday I'll get more red paint and go over all the unedrcoat with red because it's not UV protected.

Then it'll be 100% done! I'll post pictures then.

I spent some time today cleaning up the garage and cleaning up the inside of the car. Hopefully when I'm done on Monday the car is nice and ready to rock and roll
default_smile.png

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The front fenders look so nice with just fresh primer, I think once it warms up I'm going to do the whole car flat red with a black two tone.

IMG_4224.jpg

Latest posts

Back