death of a ricer...birth of an rs

Matt

so the time has come to introduce you to what has been my 00 impreza rs, from the beginning until today.

I was in the market for a different car, I had owned trucks all my life, always tacomas. My last was an 02 ext cab v6, lifted with 35's. Awesome truck that not once let me down. But my family was growing and gas prices were going up, my oldest lives with her mom which is an hour away, I make the drive to waterville twice a week and was spending a butt load on gas. I needed a change. My buddy at work has a 98 legacy gt he had done a lot to and I had always liked subarus but never really got into them, but since I needed better gas mileage a subaru it would be. I listed the truck on CL and got many hits and one kid drove from belfast to see it and eventually bought it, got 7500 for a truck with 140k, didnt do to bad I thought. But now I was in a bind, I needed a car within the next few days and the hunt commenced. I looked at a wrx with high miles and tons of mods but it made me leary of potential motor problems so I passed. Did some more looking on CL and found 3 impreza rs for sale in maine, one belonging to a ms member ( how I found the site ), one white one neededing paint work and then the mine. It was in bangor and owned by a kid in high school, from the add it looked nice. clean and worth the drive. When I got there I was sadly mistaken. It had a huge body kit and the interior was painted red, right out of fast and the furious!!! But I was 2 hrs from home and needed something soon so I did it and bought white rice.....at the time I didnt care much because I was so happy to have a subaru. I met my first ms member on the drive home, spartan , and that day also happened to be the day of the gumball rally.....nothing like being passed by a bugatti veyron!!!! Got home to westbrook and this is how she looked.....day 1

s1.jpg
s5.jpg

s2.jpg
s3.jpg

s4.jpg

as you can see it was bad.....cwest rep body kit, ebay headlights and tails, and you can somewhat see the red interior.........just bad.

I joined MS and started learning about subarus and the rs. I quickly figured out the headlamps needed to go first, got a deal on one on ebay and the other from gabe. bought stock corners and it helped out a lot.I painted the wheels gold and tinted the ebay tails just in time for the first group drive, by this time I new a few members but not a lot.

s8.jpg

s11.jpg

s7.jpg

s9.jpg

I drove the car for the rest of the summer and into the winter, I got a deal fron stein on some steelies and mounted up some new snow tires. Commence the winter of drifting...I met mikey, urabusturbo, rawfuel and several others and we were out just about every snow storm. At this time I began to really learn what the car could do, how it handles and how to drive it better. I knew what I wanted to do with it and began buying parts for install in the spring. I was given a rear sway bar, bought a damaged rs bumper that I thought I coul easily fix but soon realized I was no body man, resold the bumper and just bought new from subaru.

12.jpg
13.jpg

I continued buying parts and that's when dave had an accident in his rs and parted it out, I bought the full interior pieces I needed, struts and rear bumper I havnt gotten yet, ill get it mike. A deal came up for some rims and tires....most of you know how that went.

18.jpg
19.jpg

I painted them gm gunmetal and bought all new tires.

20.jpg

bought a borla header of inski and wrapped it

17.jpg
31.jpg

finally got warm enough out so I installed the new bilstein/eibachs from daves car as well as the rotas
25.jpg
24.jpg
27.jpg

following day I installed the new rs bumper with ebay urethane lip.

cwest coming off

28.jpg

rs bumper going on
29.jpg

added some amber corners
14.jpg
30.jpg

after all of that the car was nearly back to normal, the rear bumper needs attention still and rear quarter rust is coming up next..... it was a tough year driving the rice around but it was my car and I didnt care but now with these improvements ive definately reconnected with her and have some more upgrades in mind, brake upgrades, suspension bits, interior swap and last might be boost. that's all for now, more to follow. thanks for all the help guys, this site is great motivation for building something great and im proud to be apart of MS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meyagi

I'm a hack
wow man, that looks freaking awesome!! its come a long way as a car, and you have come a long way as a driver, it was a pleasure tearing up lowes this winter with ya man
default_biggrin.png

Yes come get your bumper lol

Legwagon

BC-BF-*BJ*
Nice post man! car looks great, better then that crazy body kitted thing you would call an RS! Keep up the good work man!

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
surprised you din't tear off that silly CWest splitter with the 'snowbank bodywork removal tool" much earlier.

looking good, keep de-ricing!

Matt

thanks guys, it was a lot of work but its finally starting to look good.......yes the wheels look good now.....after buying 4 new tires....and having all the bends fixed.....

GClark

Next step should be to get rid of those taillights. They do look a lot better tinted then not, so I guess their good enough for now
default_additional_thumbsup.gif

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
nice work.

ebay does not help the rice infestation.

those headers are gargantuate.. I was falsely informed I needed to stay the strange <1.75 inch oem..

thanks for sharing. this place and work/ideas shared is a bonus.

default_smile.png

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
looks great!!! it's funny you said you got it from a kid in bangor. I live here and have never seen that car around. EVER!! I don't even see Spartan5's car either....and I am all over the place.

Keep it going!!

Latest posts

Back