Feb 8th Team Oneil course! Wanna join?!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
Way to step up JoJo. You will have a blast and learn stuff the parking lot dorifto crowd only wishes they knew.
hey i came there as one of those parking lot dorifto guys and seem to remember doing pretty damn well
default_tongue.png

jojo69

It was pretty sweet! Essentially we had a crash course on weight transfer and the interplay between acceleration and brakes on traction and then we tried it out in on different slalom configurations! It was both fun and I learned more than I expected. The wrx kissed a snow banks once and hugged only 1 orange cone!! Oh and NOT LOOKING AT THE APPROACHING SNOW bank was also a critical concept that I am still very much working on!!!

There was all kinds of cars, including a yukon, audi and a few subaru's (crosstek, legacy etc...)! The suv was like a tank, it was pretty neat to see it in action... so heavy!! A few cars hit the snow banks but no major accidents. Snow tires did make a major difference in terms of traction and sideways action... the message was that all-season tires suck, period. That was interesting.

I think my only complaint about the course is not having more seat time, but I think that's because there wasn't enough hours in the day!! hahahaha It definitely made me want to do the rally course for sure!!

I'm definitely coming out of this with a better understanding and control of the car in slippery conditions and. I'm no master by any means, but a worthwhile experience!

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201

Last edited by a moderator:

jojo69

Glad you had fun! There was some nice fresh snow to pad the banks a bit, right?
Yeah the timing was perfect. Team told us it was mostly ice for the past few weeks, and even had to cancel some audi group events because not enough snow. Soo the dump we got a few days before was excellent... fresh powdery snow = soft banks for that weekend!! Several cars including the tahoe, an awd vw, the audi and I think the legacy had some snow bank fun! They were all very thankful that the snow was fluffy and light! No body damage other than some adrenaline rushes !! hahahahaha

I really wish this type of course/training/opportunity was available to mainely for a better price. I am sure some members are in the intermediate/advanced group and wouldn't learn much from this, but I have a feeling that for the majority of members here, this would be a useful, valuable and fun lesson! Say at $150-200, that would be a sweet weekend that could be done more than once to increase seat time! 

Or even having a designated area (parking lot for example) where we could meet to do this slalom thing just for the fun of it. Cones can't be that expensive and there has got to be an open space that is 'somewhat' plowed where we could go for some organized fun!? Maybe even with some Nigel oversight to provide some basis guidelines for those who care to learn/listen ... ah well...

This isn't very much, but it gives you a bit of an idea of what it looked like. I had a grin on my face most of the time, whether I messed up or got the car to act the way I wanted!

Me after hugging the cone too much! 

IMG_0496_zps23e5492b.jpg

Waiting on the tahoe who's facing the wrong way...

IMG_0459_zps42e693e8.jpg

waiting... again... on a subaru who is also facing the wrong way! hahaha

IMG_0457_zpsc1b95759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Well, you saw the extent of the facilities at Team O...that sort of stuff don't come cheap! Plowing and maintenance of private road network, heating several buildings, staff of 6-10 guys per day, maint/paint shops to run, 50-some school vehicles to fix and keep going, etc etc.

ReZPunK

Even advanced level drivers can benefit from a class like this. That is why top drivers still have coaches, mentors, to keep repeating the lessons.

Hell even people like Travis and Ken still come to the school for a little one on one time with Tim...with so much to learn and remember, going once just isn't enough.

As another part time instructor at team o, I still learn EVERYtime I go up there.

Latest posts

Back