Helpppp. Dead (?) 06 impreza

abigailfisk76

I'm hoping Nate can give it a once over tomorrow. I gave her some wd40 and it helped for like two hours. Haven't even had it in my car for 25 miles yet. I'm sincerely trusting this guy and my parents judgment but I don't want to be getting screwed over

abigailfisk76

Holy shit. That's a lot for a non turbo motor change. Why new heads? Definitely check the accessory belts to see if they are loose, although they shouldn't be where the mechanic just put them on. Maybe he's not a subaru guy. Those belts usually get put on really tight. Just keep an eye on fluid levels. There is a warranty right?
30 day warranty. He told me he could do the job for $2k and it ended up being $1.2k over that. It's no longer the belt that concerns me. The whole pulley that it's on is having trouble moving..

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
30 day warranty. He told me he could do the job for $2k and it ended up being $1.2k over that. It's no longer the belt that concerns me. The whole pulley that it's on is having trouble moving..
which pulley? Power steering? Tensioner? Alternator?

injulen

That'd be your A/C compressor. If that is having a hard time turning its probably rusted a bit. I've freed mine up before by using PB Blaster over time with letting the A/C run on high to try and engage the clutch in it. 

IBratmanI

Luckily if it does seize up, and the belt brakes, it's only attached to that, so it won't hurt anything except your air conditioning won't work.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Never heard of him. If the a/c pulley doesn't move with the belt off, the a/c compressor and/or a/c clutch is seized up. You can remove that belt and run without a/c until it is fixed. In the case of it being seized, the fix would be a new or used compressor, which is a job a shop equipped to deal with refrigerant should do (due to environmental concerns). Occasionally stuck ones can be loosened/lubed, but that only prolongs the inevitable.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoshP

Ray is a legend.  He didnt do you wrong, he just does everything by the book including proper machine work etc.  3200 is quite a lot but considering everything involved it's not outrageous.  I'd trust Ray with my life, although I usually don't pay people to work on my cars so I don't know many mechanics.  Back when I lived in that area I bought a lot of parts off or through him and he saved me many times. 

Industry

60% over your quoted price is whacked. My motor AND turbo AND clutch through crossroads was around $3400. I'd say if it's got a 30 day warranty then take it right back and tell him you want it fixed. Sorry it was so much to get her back, but what's done is done.

IBratmanI

60% over your quoted price is whacked. My motor AND turbo AND clutch through crossroads was around $3400. I'd say if it's got a 30 day warranty then take it right back and tell him you want it fixed. Sorry it was so much to get her back, but what's done is done.
And it was done right, by someone who doesn't cut corners, who had machine work done, and any parts you didn't supply yourself, he used good stuff. This is why I hate garages. Most of them rape people, and don't think twice. Then there's the few that care about their customers, and know they don't have to rape them to still make money.

Visonik

I'm hoping Nate can give it a once over tomorrow. I gave her some wd40 and it helped for like two hours. Haven't even had it in my car for 25 miles yet. I'm sincerely trusting this guy and my parents judgment but I don't want to be getting screwed over
If it blows up, I'd argue your parents owe you a motor!

Hopefully everything works out for you.

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Whether he did everything by the book or not, that is a lot to charge for that job. Especially when the customer has no say in the job.
Not really, when you consider the amount of work that may have been required to make the parts proper spec. He also may have been burned in the past by customer supplied motors (i know i have). I'd like to see a line item list of charges for this job before I make judgements on the interwebz about a mechanic I don't have any experience with.... maybe this tech could get on here and represent himself, instead of having no voice in this debate some folks here are creating...
You get what you pay for when it comes to auto work. There are the occasional good techs working independently that will charge next to nothing to do large jobs, but they have almost no overhead like a large shop with tons of equip and employees would. It's also unlikely that they have insurance or any type of financially backed warranty on the work itself. Anyone can slam in a junkyard motor for cheap. Running a full-blown shop, and assembling from a shortblock is not cheap, and never will be as more complex tech is baked into cars. However, I will say there are some small-medium size shops that do a great job of balancing having advanced toolsn, and good techs, AND provide good value to the customer.

By constantly devaluing the work of others, you devalue your own work in the long run. It's easy to armchair quarterback these kinds of things, but consider that no one on this forum knows what had to be done to get this job done "right." Maybe this job was a "ripoff," maybe it wasn't. Until we have FACTS, the Internet mob should simmer down.

I will say that this guy sounds like he did a bad job of assessing the initial situation and parts needed. That large of an increase over the estimate suggests some big finding that wasn't know when the initial work assessment was done.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

I've worked on these cars both in a shop as had on my own, and know enough mechanics personally, that I feel that what I've said is justified. I hate seeing people getting ripped off.

abigailfisk76

Nate tightened my ac belt and all noises are gone. She seems to be running well! I'm not tooo concerned about the money right now, just glad that I finally have her back. Thank you guys for 95 replies worth of help!nyou da bestss

abigailfisk76

Bump. 

Might need a new Catalytic Converter. and I have three nice dents in my windshield. About to cover my car in gasoline and light it on fire. By the time I'm done fixing everything I will have put more into repairs than I paid for the car, or than the car is worth. yay. happiness. 
default_additional_bricks.gif

Latest posts

Back