Nate's Car Log

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Have fun paying insurance on a WRX. I was looking at an '02, but insurance bites, so I get a legacy instead...

Stein

Stein
Which is why I wish there were more GC Imprezas for sale... An RS Sedan would be sweeeeeeeet (insurance isn't high on those because they're the "performance" version, is it?)

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Which is why I wish there were more GC Imprezas for sale... An RS Sedan would be sweeeeeeeet (insurance isn't high on those because they're the "performance" version, is it?)
They aren;t too high, but higher than others!!. Like I said, my 2000 RS is the same to insure as my new 04 FXT

Stein

Stein
I know, I know...

Which reminds me: Did you ever have HG issues with your '02? What went wrong with the engine and around what mileage?

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Nate, you gots some serious research to do here.

1) your posts and questions in this thread have consistently shown you to be extremely concerned about every possible repair cost, the underlying message seeming to be that for you any repairs needed to a used car would be a huge problem

2) you have not even checked into the actual costs for you to insure a WRX??

wtf, do you have any IDEA of how much insurance would cost you at your age for "the worst car to insure" on the market??

my prediction is that insurance for you on a WRX could be approximately 1/3 of the car's initial purchase price PER YEAR. that's like $5000 on a $15000 used Rex wagon...that kind of money buys you absolutely nothing, besides being an insane waste of your mom's $$$.

Do you realize that $5k could cover a whole lot of minor repairs to an older car, which would leave you with something a lot more solid. I believe that if you really analyzed the numbers, the insurance difference alone between an 05 Rex wag and that 01 OBS would more than cover any needed repairs...and this just in the first few months of ownership. this does not include the substantial difference in initial purchase costs. Add up those figures, and your mom would have to be utterly insane to go along with helping you buy a WRX...unless she needs a huge tax writeoff or some other way to get rid of excess $$$ unnecessarily
default_biggrin.png
in which case I will write her up a proposal to sponsor a certain well-known rally team instead of buying you a car!

and Gawd help her checkbook if you got ONE ticket with a Rex, then you would go into the Assigned Risk insurance pool at something like $1000 per month, right up there with the 5-time DUI losers, deadbeat dads and ex bank robbers.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
As I said, when I was shopping for my car there was a really nice '02 WRX sedan I had my eye on. But when I looked up the insurance cost it was going to cost ... HOLY *&^*&% I CAN'T AFFORD THAT!!!

And I was 18 at the time, 'bout the same age as you.

If you wan't a turbo, get an old legacy and put an STi engine it in. After insurance costs, it would literally be cheaper than a WRX.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I know, I know...Which reminds me: Did you ever have HG issues with your '02? What went wrong with the engine and around what mileage?
Yes, and they're not a big deal. The only problem is cost to fix it. I blew the drivers HG at an autox. Just don't be a dumbass and drive around with the thing overheating and warping the heads and your fine.

Nate, you gots some serious research to do here.
1) your posts and questions in this thread have consistently shown you to be extremely concerned about every possible repair cost, the underlying message seeming to be that for you any repairs needed to a used car would be a huge problem

2) you have not even checked into the actual costs for you to insure a WRX??

wtf, do you have any IDEA of how much insurance would cost you at your age for "the worst car to insure" on the market??

my prediction is that insurance for you on a WRX could be approximately 1/3 of the car's initial purchase price PER YEAR. that's like $5000 on a $15000 used Rex wagon...that kind of money buys you absolutely nothing, besides being an insane waste of your mom's $$$.

Do you realize that $5k could cover a whole lot of minor repairs to an older car, which would leave you with something a lot more solid. I believe that if you really analyzed the numbers, the insurance difference alone between an 05 Rex wag and that 01 OBS would more than cover any needed repairs...and this just in the first few months of ownership. this does not include the substantial difference in initial purchase costs. Add up those figures, and your mom would have to be utterly insane to go along with helping you buy a WRX...unless she needs a huge tax writeoff or some other way to get rid of excess $$$ unnecessarily
default_biggrin.png
in which case I will write her up a proposal to sponsor a certain well-known rally team instead of buying you a car!

and Gawd help her checkbook if you got ONE ticket with a Rex, then you would go into the Assigned Risk insurance pool at something like $1000 per month, right up there with the 5-time DUI losers, deadbeat dads and ex bank robbers.
100% quoting this for a reason.

Look a 5k impreza that blows headgaskets in the first month of ownership is still going to be cheaper than a brand new 2.5i or a used WRX. Insurance will be less as well. If you've got money to throw at a new car you've got money to throw at a used car for repairs. Which with these cars, isn't that often.

If you don't want to deal with a used car just go buy a new 2.5i at the dealership, enjoy your warranty, and be done.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
Soooo...

My dad and I headed north to check out a used car dealership. I won't name names, but they were very nice and had a "no pressure" strategy. I narrowed down the Subies on their lot to a '99 OBS with 120k for $5500 and an '07 Legacy 2.5i Sedan with 38k on it and still some Subaru Warranty on it. Talk about opposites
default_additional_iam.gif

We drove the '99 OBS and a 2000 Legacy GT Limited (Red Sedan, looked sweet but didn't drive very smoothly) and I'm kind of curious: It had no hood scoop and I didn't see a turbo (although I had no idea where to look, I was focusing mainly behind the engine, the side toward the firewall). I also didn't hear turbo when driving it (I let off fast from full-gas and I didn't hear any air-wooshing). Anyways:

Whatch'all think? The '99 or the '07?

Oh, we may be making an offer on one of them tomorrow

They didn't have any '05 2.5RSes or we would be looking at those. I'm looking at GC Imprezas, 2005 Imprezas (new interior!), and 05+ Legacies.

I wanted to head up to EG to at least say hello, but it took a long time to get to the used dealership and we had to get home to eat dinner.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
How much for the '07?

And the pre-2000 cars didn't have turbos. Unless it is a 1994 or earlier turbo legacy.

Stein

Stein
How much for the '07?And the pre-2000 cars didn't have turbos. Unless it is a 1994 or earlier turbo legacy.
It was $15000 give or take $500.

It was a 2000 LGT. So the first year of the new North American turboed cars?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
It was $15000 give or take $500.It was a 2000 LGT. So the first year of the new North American turboed cars?
The 2000 doesn't have a hood scoop... I don't think. 2005 was the second batch of turbo legacys in the US. 1990 to 1994 being the first.

Stein

Stein
Ok, anyway, it didn't drive as well as the '99 so we ruled it out

I know the '99 has the 2.2L engine, which is a pro for it, but the '07 is a lot newer, has a lot less miles, and has more creature comforts (power seats, leather, better audio, stuff like that).

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'd take an '07 if someone wanted to buy me one...

the '96 is fun though. Keeps me on my toes, like driving home at night with a dead alternator... that sort of fun stuff

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
The legacy is a great car, and without a turbo you will have great insurance rates because it is a family sedan with a high safety rating. Its also newer, which means more $$...but whats going to happen to the obs in a few months???

Stein

Stein
Right, that makes sense. I just wasn't sure what he was saying.

Here's a list of what is just had done to it at the dealer:

Lube, Oil, Oil filter

State Inspection

63 Point Inspection

clutch replaced (old style clutch, clutch clup, clutch spring, brake clean)

replaced exhaust because of exhaust leak (exhaust gasket, exhaust SPR, exhaust bolt)

replaced timing belt, tensioner, and engine "tune up" (IAC gasket, tensioner, timing belt, spark plug, fuel filter, air filter)

new wiper blades and bulbs (a 9003 bulb, a 194 bulb, 3 wiper blades)

new radio and left-rear speaker

replaced hub caps, fog lamp blanks (they look like vents), spare tire, ashtray, center cubby (what's that?), hold down (what's that?), and hold down (whats that?)

replaced knock sensor

replaced left-front inner fender (there's an inner one? I assume that its the metal one behind the body panel, and I assume it was rusty)

replaced left rear strut and right front axle (is this a good or bad thing?)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Looks like it has had a lot done to it. Replacing a strut on just one side is weird. if the other side is getting worn it will handle funny.

Latest posts

Back