Nate's Car Log

Stein

Stein
It felt fine, but I'll pay extra careful attention to it next time. How would I check for wear on the other strut? Push down on the car in that corner and see how many times it bounces before settling?

They also sell used parts at this dealership so I'm kind of curious as to whether the parts are new or just "less used."

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
When you push down it shouldn't bounce, it should just come back up.

What dealer is this?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Norm's in Wiscasset. Have you heard good things? Bad things?
Ahh, Norm's.

I've heard good and bad. I bought my car there. I didn't really know as much about cars as I wish I did when I bought it. And I could have probably got more off the price if I had known more.

I have never had a problem with their service. About 2 weeks after I bought my car my filler neck rusted through and started leaking fuel, they just replaced it for me. They didn't have to do that.

Since I've had a couple small things they've fixed without any drama for a comparable price. Then I've heard bad things about them too.

But their sales dept. is just a typical used cars sales dept. They are going to try to sell you a car for much as possible and tell you as few problems about it as they can. Not to be cynical, but it it true.

Stein

Stein
Cool
default_tongue.png
. So should I check for rust underneath the car or just on body panels? There's a few dents on the OBS that I would either like taken out or taken off of the price. It also has a 90 day warranty from them, so I don't know if it makes sense to have a mechanic look at it first or after we buy it.

It's still going to be hard to compare it to the 07 Legacy. They're totally different. I'm curious to see which one handles better. The OBS felt soft over the bumps, but it also felt like it handled good on the tighter turns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Check for rust EVERYWHERE. Not just one specific location... that would be silly. I got lucky finding my car, only rust is on one door, and surface rust on a quarter panel. That's it!

And the car is 10 years old, it is going to have some dents. Deal with it, or get a new car.

Tyler

If I had the choice between the OBS and the '07, I would that that to be a no-brainer ...OBSs are sweet but, there's something about a 2 year old car I like
default_tongue.png

Stein

Stein
Well the other thing is that I don't want to empty the wallet too much, even if it isn't just my wallet.

Stein

Stein
shooooooooot I hit back by accident and my long post got erased
default_wink.png

starting over:

We purchased the '99 OBS this afternoon. I drove it the 45 minutes home and only stalled once, at a red light in Bath
default_additional_party.gif
. Went out tonight and drove to a friend's house, then I screwed around with another friend who has a '99 Impreza L wagon (5-sp of course
default_smile.png
). No stalling, and when I got to my house I practiced going into 1st while still moving. Not very smooth, but I did it.

Anyway, I hope to get pictures in the morning. I have a question about scratches in the windows though. There's two verticle patches of bad scratches on each of the driver's side windows (didn't check the pass side). the salesman said that all Subarus of this era scratches the windows in these two places, but I'm not so sure...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I have a vertical scratch on my driver's window. Looks like it scraps inside when it goes up and down.

Stein

Stein
I have a vertical scratch on my driver's window. Looks like it scraps inside when it goes up and down.
OK, so I guess I won't bother the dealer about it. I may be able to just buff it out, no?

NOMYGOD, He bought a effin car. Congrats man! :party:Now lift that mutha and put some grabbers on:D.
default_additional_jawdrop.gif
default_smile.png

I have about a thousand bucks or 1.5 grand left. I'm thinking exhaust, winter wheels/tires (I'm currently on steelies but the first thing I did when I got home was rip the hubcaps off
default_biggrin.png
), and eventually I want it repainted and the dents filled.

I'd love to lift it but I'm not going to be doing any crazy offroading, so I'll leave it stock. Maybe 1" spacers eventually, or maybe a drop (I'm sorry!). Depends what I want to do with it.

My mom agreed to let me park on the lawn for a few minutes, so I'll take some pics there
default_smile.png

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
An exhaust would make it sound real nice, and maybe even an intake. As far as wheels go, maybe find some nice 16" Alloys? A set of RS six spokes would look awesome, or another set of factory Subaru wheels

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You could bug them about the scratches. I just complained and got some $$ off the price... LOL.

Hub caps... I have 3 on my car... would you want to part with one?

Whatever you do, DON'T DROP IT (out of a window). These cars don't like that sort of abuse.

Seriously though... You'll hate yourself in the winter when you are trying to get up a steep driveway with a foot of heavy snow. (I can't be the only one to deal with that...)

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Tires are the way to go.

80204d1221698919-2003-subaru-impreza-wrx-rims-tires-sale-021.jpg

WRX 6 spokes like someone else said are the way to go as they are plentiful and cheap and look decent enough. Winter tires + awd = beastly.

Post some pics and have fun with the car.

-=Lobstah=-

Anyway, I hope to get pictures in the morning. I have a question about scratches in the windows though. There's two verticle patches of bad scratches on each of the driver's side windows (didn't check the pass side). the salesman said that all Subarus of this era scratches the windows in these two places, but I'm not so sure...
The scratches are typical GC thing. guide pads get crudded up over time. I'm not sure of a way to buff them out, in theory you could, but i've never tried. To prevent fom scratching it up more its recommended to replace the pads (pretty easy)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back