New Project - '71 Datsun 240z

Apollyon12

I found this bad boy on Craigslist early this week and when the wife said "Looks good, How much?" instead of the usual "Spend your money on whatever you want", I knew I was going to have to go see it that night or it would be gone.

240Z 001.jpg 240Z 002.jpg

So, with the help of a friend, we picked it up this morning

10-10-09 (1).jpg 10-10-09 (3).jpg

Apollyon12

I have been looking for a 240z or a 280z for a long time. I have always loved these cars and every time I see one I have to go check it out. Z cars, being what they are and being in New England, always have rust issues. You just can't get around that and this one is no exception. But the good news is that the major things, like shock towers and suspension mounts are all in great shape. The floors have already rotted thru and have been "fixed" but are going to need more attention. Rockers are rusty and the fenders have had some bad attention, but overall this is about as good as you can get for a car that has not been restored.

Safely at home:

10-10-09 (4).jpg

10-10-09 (7).jpg 10-10-09 (8).jpg

10-10-09 (16).jpg 10-10-09 (17).jpg

A previous owner installed a tow rig on the front and supposedly towed it to shows. The guy I bought it from towed it from upstate vermont five years ago and it has been sitting in his garage ever since.

I had though about flat towing it home, but we decided this morning to get a U-Haul trailer and play it safe. No worrying about the old tires and drive train making the trip from New Hampshire to Maine in one piece.

I don't have any interest in owning a Concourse De'Elegance car. I want a car I can use. First priority will be rust removal and repair. If I can find a good weather tight primer, this car will never get expensive paint. I am thinking about trying POR-15, but I don't know anyone who has used it with success. Once the rust is taken care of, priorities will be reliable engine first then suspension for autocross.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apollyon12

When we were looking at it originally, the clutch would go right to the floor with almost no effort. So I figured that a new clutch master and slave cylinders were going to be the first order of business. The car needs to move in and out of the garage under it's own power. Well, to my great joy, after cleaning the battery terminals and the rusty (of course) ground, it fired right up. Sitting in the drivers seat, I figured, what the hell, I'll just try pumping the clutch a few times and see if I it will go into gear. Low and behold, the clutch was not broken, it just is incredibly light. So the car is yard drivable and I don't have to get NAPA to order parts from California.

Well first things first, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil and filter, and gas. Probably tomorrow. Once that is done, I can clean it all out, wash the engine bay and undercarage and get down to the really crappy parts. Rust. Yes, the updates are all going to be all about rust for a good long while. Rusty Datsun, rusty Subaru, same thing.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Awesome!! Yeah rust sucks!!! I did lots of cutting and welding in my Brat. Keep us updated on the project. Very nice find

GClark

Congrats! That thing is so sexy. I think you should keep the paint like that, the silver and blue looks great.

Then do this...

q45zpower_01rw.jpg

Apollyon12

GClark, you aren't the only person to suggest a V-8 swap. I don't know. I, personally, am a fan of original stuff.

But you just can't change the feeling of way too much power in a small package.

And I too am a fan of the current paint scheme, but it looks like it, and the bodywork, was done by an eight-year-old. Initially it is going to have to go.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Awesome, I was wondering what your mystery purchase was. I can't wait to see how this car evolves under your care. As always, the more pictures the better.
default_additional_party.gif

GClark

Bummer about the paint. I'd keep the engine orginal too, just maybe dress it up a bit. Not from pepboys either...

Apollyon12

Not from pepboys either...
Actually, the guy who owned it before the guy I bought it off of let his son drive it as a daily driver. I think it was the son who decided on the paint job. He also had a straight, aftermarket wing on the back and a shift knob from walmart. The wing was total rice and the guy I bought it from just couldn't stand the wing and pulled it off.

I'll definitly get getting more pics as things happen. I have all the stuff to do a tune up and I should be doing that some time this week. I'll try to get a pic of the wing when I do that. My wife wants to learn mechanical stuff and body work, so she is going to be helping me as much as she can.

boxerboost

V8 swap is cool, but I think it would have a lot more class if you swapped a nissan motor in... RB is cool or whatever but availability is silly... If they fit (think they do) I would go with the heavily more available VQ series....

That would be ever so bad ass, congrats on the ride, always loved those!

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
RB swap in that would be the ****. I love these things! Hey you ever need any help just let me know since I just moved in to town.

Apollyon12

Cool it with the motor swap suggestions. The old L24 runs just fine.

Here are the pics of the spoiler and shift knob.

Spoiler (1).jpg Spoiler (2).jpg

Spoiler (3).jpg Shift Knob.jpg

Those definitly won't be getting reused. If anybody wants the spoiler, you are welcome to it.

Back in the 70's there were so many aftermarket parts for these cars. I have seen a few large whale-tails that look really good. But it is going to be a crap shoot on whether I will find one or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back