New Project - '71 Datsun 240z

Apollyon12

I find that the best place is Black Dragon Auto. Reproductions or NOS but you know that you are getting something that will work. I believe the problem for you will be that performance parts are nowhere near as easily found as for the S30's. But I'm not 100% sure about that, I stay away from the ZX's.

You didn't buy that from someone in York did you? I went and looked at one down there and almost bought it for the motor, but found a better deal on another car.

Apollyon12

So recently I found a deal on Uncle Henrys that I just couldn't pass up.

A '71 240z parts car.

Came with a full fiberglass front end: hood fenders, headlight buckets and plastic air dam.

Big, wide Centerline wheels (tires are junk).

Set of old-school fender flares to cover the new wider rubber.

Notchback rear hatch, not shown, think notchback GTA.

T5 transmission out of a turbo ZX (this tranny has the same wide ratios for 1st and 2nd as the 4-speed, different 3rd, and 5th for overdrive)

and finally, the jem...

A slighty modified 240z motor with a set of SK racing carbs. These where basicaly a JDM item, there is only one company that imported them, they are very rare and if you can find a set for sale they will be in the $1500 range. These carbs, along with a 3.1l stroker, will probably make the most power you can pull out of an N/A L series motor.

Unfortunately, the body of the red Z is too far gone to make it worth saving. But I am selling parts from it to make some of my money back. O, ya. I bought the car for $800. Add up all the useable parts and I robbed the guy.

For now the twins will have to sit waiting for their turn. Though if anyone is interested in co-owning a F prepared autocross car, let me know.

Attachments

• 10-19-10 (1).JPG
    10-19-10 (1).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10-19-10 (10).JPG
    10-19-10 (10).JPG
    901.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-19-10 (11).JPG
    10-19-10 (11).JPG
    980.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 10-19-10 Motor (8).JPG
    10-19-10 Motor (8).JPG
    718.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

bigsxy

ya i bought the pile in york perfect for what me and a buddy wanted if the motor works once back together great if not oh well i have other ideas

Impreza05

Great buy, hold do you feel for robbing the guy?
default_frown.gif

Apollyon12

Great buy, hold do you feel for robbing the guy?
default_frown.gif
I think I'll get over it eventually.

ya i bought the pile in york perfect for what me and a buddy wanted if the motor works once back together great if not oh well i have other ideas
I thought that was a fairly good starting point for a restoration, especially for the price. IF the motor only needs the replacement turbo. Knowing previous owners, there might be a whole lot of other stuff wrong with it.

You planning on putting it on the road or doing something else with it?

bigsxy

so far me and my buddy are making it into a track car so what needs to be replaced will and most likely a swap to something that has more potential do you have any info on the car other then the old guy knew nothing and was trying to sell me parts for a 2nd gen 300zx so i was confused

Apollyon12

I didn't see any extra parts when I was there, except the turbo that he had.

I will admit I am not an expert and some of this may just be my opinion but...

Not to burst your bubble but the zx's are a really bad choice for a track car, especially if you are looking to change the engine. Those where basicaly a grand touring car. About 500lbs heavier than the z's, mushy suspension, not very good performance. As far as I am aware, you have to cobble together suspension parts from the 300zx's, 240sx's and the z's because nobody is really putting the effort into building parts for them.

I'd be willing to work out a swap with you if you are intersted in doing the work on the red car. For me it needs to much work, because I already have one in better shape. But to someone else it may be ok. I'd point out all the issues I know it has. I'd be keeping all the parts I can use, you'd need to find all the front end pieces and some doors, but it'd be a cheap start.

bigsxy

im probably going to keep it believe it or not acura integra suspension works i believe i know it is going to be a lot of work but im up for the challenge

Apollyon12

So I got layed off two weeks ago and to make sure I don't go crazy from the boredom, I am actively working on the Z. The floor pans and rockers are, of course, the first things that need attention.

I have everything in, though not finish welded.

Along with a full set of Baddog frame rails. These are definitely going to be my jacking points from now on.

I also got the sunroof panel tacked in. It's just flat but I am not interested in trying to match the metalwork perfectly. I will just fill and form it later with fiberglass.

I also test fit the new centerline wheels and fender flares.

Though the fronts are 10mm narrower and the rears are 10mm wider than what I had on there previously, because of the offsets they seem much, much bigger.

Next task is the rear suspension, bearings and spindle pins, which are already being a b*tch.

Attachments

• 12-17-10 (5).JPG
    12-17-10 (5).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 12-17-10 (12).JPG
    12-17-10 (12).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 12-17-10 (18).JPG
    12-17-10 (18).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 12-17-10 (19).JPG
    12-17-10 (19).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 12-17-10 (28).JPG
    12-17-10 (28).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 12-17-10 (10).JPG
    12-17-10 (10).JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0

Apollyon12

So by begining of January I had almost everything back together and a in a good coat of primer.

Floors

1-6-11 (2).JPG 1-6-11 (3).JPG 1-6-11 (4).JPG

Removed the rear storage area and fixed the large holes.

1-6-11 (5).JPG

Bad Dog frame rails and rear doglegs (where there was nothing before)

1-6-11 (6).JPG 1-6-11 (7).JPG

Battery area stiched back together

1-6-11 (11).JPG

And suspension all back in, including the frontsway bar which I was never able to reinstall because I broke a couple of the mounting bolts off inside the frame rails.

1-6-11 (1).JPG 1-6-11 (9).JPG 1-6-11 (8).JPG

Apollyon12

I was able to get it weathertight and rolling basically the weekend before the first big storm. So outside it stayed for the rest of the year until last weekend.

Datsun in Winter.JPG

Before moving it out, I got the seats back in and the new battery location/mount all set.

1-1-11 (7).JPG1-1-11 (9).JPG1-1-11 (3).JPG1-1-11 (2).JPG

Apollyon12

Recently I sold the Centerline rims and the cowl induction hood that were on my parts car. The rims where 15x8 and 15x6.5 so there where no good options for a AX ST* tire. And very few street tires that would have worked as well. The hood didn't really work for what I have in mind and it kinda bulks the car up, where these cars look better slim and trim. The fender flares and the Pantera (notchback) fiberglass hatch are going to be sold as well. I ordered a set of XXR 513 rims in 16x8 and a set of Dunlop Star Specs to roll on. With that combo, I should be able to get well more than a season of AX and DD out of them. In the future I will probably be looking for another set of rims so that I have a street and track set. I am thinking about the XXR 002's.

Hood and Centerline Rims

10-19-10 (10).JPG

XXR 513's

51357089-2T.jpg

XXR 002's

00258089-2T.jpg

Apollyon12

Last week, before I got it moved back into the garage, I changed the mechanical fuel pump, which wasn't working all that well, for a napa electric fuel pump. I also ordered a full Crane ignition. Coil, optical points replacement ignition and multi-spark box. I should be able to get that installed in a couple weeks along with the adjustable shocks, springs and bigger sway bars I am purchasing off of a guy on HybridZ. Once all that stuff is in, the only major things keeping it off the road will be the rockers, which my father-in-law will be helping me with, and a new exhaust. The one I have on now came with the parts car and has a huge hole in the muffler. So it's a tad loud. Of course, I will need to do something with the fender flares as well. I am thinking about doing a small custom flare. The OEM replacements are really expensive and will rub on my tires anyways. The ZG flares are usually too big (or tires too small, depending on how you look at it) and don't look right. They need bigger wheels/tires to fill them out.

Apollyon12

So it's been a while since I updated this thread. Last summer, I basicaly wasn't able to work on the car at all because my parents had renters and I couldn't stink up the place or be making a ton of noise.

During the couple full weekends I was able to work, I got the front frame/inner fenders blasted and painted.

9-10-11 (6).JPG 9-10-11 (5).JPG

9-10-11 (8).JPG 9-10-11 (7).JPG

For comparison:

7-12-10 (5).JPG 7-12-10 (7).JPG 7-12-10 (4).JPG

7-12-10 (1).JPG 7-12-10 (2).JPG 7-12-10 (3).JPG

Latest posts

Back