Question on buying a car out of state.....

Fozzy

Checking in to see if anyone has gone through a similar scenario, but next week i'm heading to Vermont to purchase an 05 LGT from a private seller. Does anyone know the proper documents needed and procedures i'll need to go through? I assume i'll have to bring it straight to a garage when I get back into Maine to receive a Maine state inspection. 

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

SUBARUDE

If it has a Vermont sticker it still legal in Maine as long as it not doesn't last more then 1 yr everything else is the same as maine for paper work title receipt so on

Visonik

I bought my car in New Hampshire. I didn't need anything special. I went through a bank (poor college kid status) and the guy drove the car to my bank and we did all the paperwork there. He let me drive it on his plates to get it registered then I just mailed them back. Maine's more lenient on inspections so the sticker was still fine until it expired.

JoshP

Vermont has all the best Subaru deals.  Like Gabe said the sticker is fine.  Get a Maine transit plate if you plan to drive it home.  Vermont title is easy just like Maines.  I've purchased 2 cars from Vermont

You do realize there are 3 LGTs for sale on this forum though correct

Fozzy

Vermont has all the best Subaru deals.  Like Gabe said the sticker is fine.  Get a Maine transit plate if you plan to drive it home.  Vermont title is easy just like Maines.  I've purchased 2 cars from Vermont

You do realize there are 3 LGTs for sale on this forum though correct
I find it very ironic that 3 LGTs have popped up in what seems like a week, but the one i'm considering in VT is a little more what i'm looking for in terms of price and mileage.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

shawnmichael26

i actually had drove my 02 wrx to the guy i was buying it from and took the plate off that and drove the 04 back with plate on it.  luckily i didnt get pulled over.  i bet they would of been suspicious if they saw 2 subarus from maine driving in vt with the same plate haha

dsmith

i actually had drove my 02 wrx to the guy i was buying it from and took the plate off that and drove the 04 back with plate on it.  luckily i didnt get pulled over.  i bet they would of been suspicious if they saw 2 subarus from maine driving in vt with the same plate haha
i drove my forester from maryland back up to maine with plates from my wrx on it. and fozzy, i think you will just have a bill of sale to go over and sign, that should be it.

JoshP

Just keep in mind illegal attachment of plates is a felony crime in Maine and a transit plate is 12 dollars 1 way

Last edited by a moderator:

Fozzy

i drove my forester from maryland back up to maine with plates from my wrx on it. and fozzy, i think you will just have a bill of sale to go over and sign, that should be it.
So as the buyer, I dont need to bring anything? The seller is the one responsible fkr bringing the title and bill of sale correct? I guess it wouldn't hurt if I brought a draft of the b.o.s. as well

Last edited by a moderator:

Visonik

You should just need a form of payment. It's up to the seller to write the bill of sale and sign over the title to you.

+1 on the transit plate. I recommend it unless the seller will let you borrow his plates.

shawnmichael26

Just keep in mind illegal attachment of plates is a felony crime in Maine and a transit plate is 12 dollars 1 way
oh i knew this at the time.  i had to drive on a saturday so when i went to the dmv on friday at around 4:15 they kicked me out even though they didnt close till 5pm.  told me they didnt want anymore people in the building

Isick

I was going to do this last week when i brought mine home from Lebanon. Lucky for me, the guy let me borrow his legal VT tags to get home. I say lucky because I drove past at least 4 NH speed traps on the way back.

Latest posts

Back