Ryan Outback Sport

sooch

Type-RA
Everyone goes out and buys a bugeye. Then they regret it, then they hate subarus, then they get discouraged....

Visonik

That's what im talking about
Let me clear up any confusion.... I don't have 12 grand into it by choice. Part of that was actually getting the car. The next largest part is because I had a bad bearing and replaced the block and a bunch of other things at the same time. I got lucky because I had a warranty that got me a new block from subaru, but if not for the warranty I'd have a crap block close to its last leg again. Not to mention I've completely redone the body to fix all the tiny and not so tiny dents and all the rust.

Everyone goes out and buys a bugeye. Then they regret it, then they hate subarus, then they get discouraged....
On that note, I do not regret buying my car, but I also got a free block that's going to last. If I hadn't lucked out, I'd be screwed. If I had to do this all again with what I've learned from my hellish bugeye experience is this:

Don't buy a bugeye. Unless it's got ludicrously low miles AND was driven by an extremely old woman for every single one of those miles. And it's from florida. Your effort and time would be better put into a newer wrx or fxt. Or, since nobody particularly neeeeeds a turbo, get an even newer n/a and just make it look sick. Unless you plan on tracking it, you don't need the speed. Sure, it's fun. But for the amount of money I have into mine, I could have a really nice newer car.

Just my two cents as a person who got a bugeye and was close to having it less than a year.

i-wagon

For the amount invested in said bugeye, you could have bought 2 of my car, or one newer one with lots of options ( still na) I've driven Allys car when her dad had it and they aren't all that impressive for how much more they cost

Visonik

For the amount invested in said bugeye, you could have bought 2 of my car, or one newer one with lots of options ( still na) I've driven Allys car when her dad had it and they aren't all that impressive for how much more they cost
Oh, I'm well aware. I had the the same mindset as Ryan, get a decent bugeye, it'll last if it's decent. I found one that was cheap enough, and talked the guy down a little too. The only thing that seemed to be wrong was some body work. The car was stage 2 done by kinetic, so i figured it'd be safe. Not too long after I got it, the check engine light would come on occasionally, then more often, then it started making awful noises on the way from Bangor to New Hampshire. Luckily I made it to Mike in Standish, but again, I was lucky with this car. Mind you, I bought this car in June, and the engine quit in January. Not a lot of time to enjoy a car.

Now, I was in a bind for a car, since my 2.5RS had just died. I jumped into the first decent, reasonably priced bugeye I found. If I had had some way of knowing the amount of money I'd be putting into this thing, I never would have bought it and I probably would have gotten a non turbo. Now all I can do is warn other people about the dangers of "decent" bugeyes. Ryan, learn from my mistakes, a 12 year old turbo subaru as going to screw you. Like I said, I don't regret getting my car, but not having it for 2 months for the engine to be rebuilt and another 2 weeks while I did the body was extremely stressful, especially when Mike would call and tell me something else needed to be replaced. Not to mention I still have lots I need to put into this. I need struts all the way around, I need rear bearings, I need to replace the front pads and rotors, the list goes on. Keep that OBS while it runs and save up for a newer car. Trust me, you won't regret it.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I plan on it. I would be doing it this weekend but saving the money for WBM.
Don't waste money on wbm. Save money and lift car.
default_smile.png

Ryan99OBS

Put a decent amount of work into my car recently, now sitting on WRX suspension,swapped to an obx catback,new brake pads rotors drums, got a actual obs door that's the actual color of my car, new cv axles. Still have a random humming noise in the rear, no wheel play so don't think it's a bearing, checked the diff looked all good, breaks weren't warped. Any ideas?

future plans....i really wanna dip it gloss black, tint, black housing lights, wanna come across hatch spoiler also wanna get some lights on it.

i know all black is played out but i really like the stealth all black murdered out look.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back