September Meet - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDIRTYX

i worked at portland pie co. for like 6 years, i could talk with the owners and have it in scarborough. huge parking lot

ruggedman

We had one of our meets there last year. I enjoyed the food and plenty of parking.
Agreed my favorite meet to date still. Unlimited pizza and beer.
default_biggrin.png

Tyler

we could pretend that its a Sat in the old port on a weds night in Freeport.... they would love the business, probably should warn them ahead of time if a massive group is coming, or they wouldn't have the staff on to cover the amount of people
The waitress cried last time ...
default_additional_ponder.gif

Oh and pretty sure the all you can drink beer was limited to two at the door ... I'm glad some of you got to enjoy the "all you can eat" you paid for
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kati

Famous Dave's It's located in the Cabela's parking lot in Scarborough.

Famous Dave's has very affordable award winning food, many menu items, serves alcohol and is easy to get to.

Parking Rating= 5+

Space Rating= 5+

Food and Price Rating= 4.5

Here's their website:

http://www.famousdaves.com/Scarborough

Heidi's Brooklyn Deli Auburn, ME (by WalMart and across from T.G.I. Fridays) Because it's easy to find, it should attract MANY members, including Evergreen employees- which we don't see many of at meets.

HEIDI'S NOW SERVES BEER AND WINE to compliment any of their colossal sandwiches, subs or hearty salads. Their menu items are made to order any way you like.

You definately get what you pay for there (Food and Price rating= 4.5).

They have a selection of desserts, and are known for their canolis.

Here you purchase your items, then seat yourself. NO GRATUITY HERE AT ALL (unless you wanted to put a buck or two in their "karma jar").

The outdoor patio will seat a very large group comfortably, providing we have decent weather.

Adjacent to the outdoor patio is the Social Security building's parking lot, which will be empty and available to accomodate our potpourri of Subarus! (Parking rating= 5+!)

Here is their website:

http://www.heidisbrooklyndeli.com/menu.html

The Super Great Wall Chinese Buffet, South Portland in the Dick's parking lot.

Chinese and American cuisine.

Parking Rating= 5+

Space Rating= 5+ with our own area all to ourselves

The Great Wall offers a variety of menu items, we can seat and serve ourselves, so we don't have to wait forever for people to take food orders, prepare it and serve us. You can come and go as you please, and they may make a deal with very large parties.

Here is their website:

http://www.sgreatwall.com/

K

Kati

(to be read in a warm and friendly tone)

As stated before, group meets are ONLY 1 night a month, this is a car club, not a Quilting Club- where you pack up your blankets and sewing kits just to drive for and hour or two, sew, then head back home.
default_wink.png

The monthly meets are pretty important as it helps you build a rapport with other members, you can swap, sell and buy items, you can show off your new modifications or dings/ battle wounds, and you get to exchange stories- big or small.

More importantly you are also supporting Mainely Subarus when you enter into the drawings, purchase decals and clothing items.

No one said this isn't child friendly, the more the merrier as long as you exhibit appropriate drinking/ driving behavior. We've even had men with newborn babies at the meet and it has never interfered with mingling- in fact the kids help us build a better sense of you, and sometimes make you a little more approachable, LOL.
default_tongue.png

Group meets, when announced in a timely manner, are planned a couple weeks in advance, and we've always known of them to be on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, that day hasn't changed (not including the baseball day if that was a different day). That being said, if work interferes with the meet schedule, request to get out of work a couple hours early, just make sure that your work obligations are fulfilled, that's what I've always done. When bosses know even a couple days ahead of time that you'd like to take only one afternoon off, they are usually pretty decent with it providing you get your work done or can find coverage.

Maine is a rather large state, and we try to cover the east coast, in fact, I don't feel we travel far enough to make this happen, but I don't complain. Again, it's a car club, and it's ONE night a month, you bought your car to drive it, right?
default_smile.png

So you have to be to work early the next morning, travel the 5 minutes to 4 hours [both ways] to pop in, grab a bite, say 'hi', and head on out. I'm sure it's nothing a cup of coffee couldn't cure in the morning (from what I've heard).

Portland Pie: some alcohol consumers may have thought it was a great deal, because they DID get their money's worth, however, if you got a soda and a slice or two of pizza because they couldn't keep them coming, it was not worth it. It was an excellent idea, and would have been better if more attention was shown towards the other tables.

I have always been one to love picnicking, cooking out, grilling, pot luck type of get-to-gethers. We've even had a member here offer to hold that and a camp night on his many acres of land... I think that would be a phenomenal idea, especially if he is willing to be so hospitable with his bathroom facilities.

If we plan meets and drives based on the weather, we might as well be stuck in our homes, as even the weather predictions are inaccurate. An outdoor meet would be great- I'd love to see it happen at least once to say we've tried it.

Drive In Movie Theater: most awful idea, SORRY, as much as I love drive-in movies, you'll miss your chance to socialize. It's kind of like an old friend suggesting you meet up at the movies after not seeing them in 12 years, do you really just want to sit next to someone and listen to them breathe? I put this in the category as meeting at a baseball game. And I'm not clowning on your idea, my own personal experience: I LOVE BASEBALL! I have a 10 year high school reunion in a couple weeks planned at the Oriole's Stadium! That is the worst idea ever- as even as someone on here said, you really can't socialize at a baseball game.

It is pretty sad that we have not had more group drives.
default_frown.gif
Group drives really do bring us closer together. So if you feel awkward or uneasy at a meet for a few minutes, try a group drive, as you really get to branch out and know the person. It will be a forever request for weekend meets [by members], one that usually only gets approved with group drives. I'm not sure why we don't have more group drives like in the past, maybe it's the fear of driving behavior, maybe it's the fear of being bombarded with 47 different people telling the Moderators that the day they chose for the drive isn't good for them- then the Mods feel as if they can't please anyone and want to cancel it all together.

I don't see why we can't all settle on the same thing. Rearrange your time to relax in your car club atmosphere for ONE day.

One more thing, I also feel that meeting outside of the world wide web is ideal, as some people know what to say, but can't really type it. Maybe one person is over educated on a certain subject, but his typing comes off as arrogant, how are we to know the true "you" if we don't meet you in person, and everyone goes, "Oh that's So-In-So chiming in, he's a real tool." Well, maybe he's NOT. Some people have poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, bad smiley selections, and typing skills, but they can hold a heck of a conversation!
default_rolleyes.gif

Let's unify in the Subaru car club community!

Thank you for taking a moment to read this.

Last edited:

Tyler

Famous Dave's It's located in the Cabela's parking lot in Scarborough.Famous Dave's has very affordable award winning food, many menu items, serves alcohol and is easy to get to.

Parking Rating= 5+

Space Rating= 5+

Here's their website:

http://www.famousdaves.com/Scarborough

Heidi's Brooklyn Deli Auburn, ME (by WalMart and across from T.G.I. Fridays) Because it's easy to find, it should attract MANY members, including Evergreen employees- which we don't see many of at meets.

HEIDI'S NOW SERVES BEER AND WINE to compliment any of their colossal sandwiches, subs or hearty salads. Their menu items are made to order any way you like.

You definately get what you pay for there (Food and Price rating= 4.5).

They have a selection of desserts, and are known for their canolis.

Here you purchase your items, then seat yourself. NO GRATUITY HERE AT ALL (unless you wanted to put a buck or two in their "karma jar").

The outdoor patio will seat a very large group comfortably, providing we have decent weather.

Adjacent to the outdoor patio is the Social Security building's parking lot, which will be empty and available to accomodate our potpourri of Subarus! (Parking rating= 5+!)

Here is their website:

http://www.heidisbrooklyndeli.com/menu.html

The Super Great Wall Chinese Buffet, South Portland in the Dick's parking lot.

Chinese and American cuisine.

Parking Rating= 5+

Space Rating= 5+ with our own area all to ourselves

The Great Wall offers a variety of menu items, we can seat and serve ourselves, so we don't have to wait forever for people to take food orders, prepare it and serve us. You can come and go as you please, and they may make a deal with very large parties.

Here is their website:

http://www.sgreatwall.com/

The first two sound great, but personally I would not rate the Great Wall anywhere near a 4.5 for food ... and isn't it almost $14/person for the buffet? I could be wrong. Sure they have a large selection, but I prefer quality over quantity. Just my $0.02.

Mark

A lot of ground to cover so I'll keep it short and to the point.

Famous Dave's: We're trying to keep away from national chains per a flood of requests from members. In the future the most I can see us using a chain for the Southern Meet would be at Longhorn's to help support Lightsabr's restaurant.

Heidi's: I don't plan the Northern Meets, but I love deli's. Seriously, I freaking love sandwiches. I'll certainly bring it up for a Northern Meet

Great Wall: Neverending amounts of space and food, certainly fits the criteria there. However food-wise, not even the best Chinese food on the block. Imperial right down the road in the Petco parking lot is reallllllly really good chinese food, I may look into something like that since nearly all decent sized Chinese places have party rooms. oh yeah....SCORPION BOWLS!!!!!!!!1!!

Finally, the Portland Pie meet was one of the best meets, without question. Portland Pie Co is a pizza joint, simple as that, it is what it is. We knew going into it that Pizza, Beer, Soda, and friends were the only things on the menu. Carter put a good amount of work into planning that one, making sure they could accommodate the 40ish of us, and managed to score the great unlimited food/drink deal.

Once again, group drives will be addressed separately.

K

Kati

Finally, the Portland Pie meet was one of the best meets, without question. Portland Pie Co is a pizza joint, simple as that, it is what it is. We knew going into it that Pizza, Beer, Soda, and friends were the only things on the menu. Carter put a good amount of work into planning that one, making sure they could accommodate the 40ish of us, and managed to score the great unlimited food/drink deal.
I'm not arguing when asking this, are you disagreeing with the fact that I said there was hardly any pizzas brought out to only 2 halves of the tables? Because the members who expressed their disgust about the lack of pizza for the price [who may not publicly agree with me now] all wished they had more than one slice of pizza.

The menu was clear to me, and it didn't matter to me, I didn't want pizza and paid AN ADDITIONAL $9.00 for a salad. So I am not disagreeing or arguing that there should have been more items on the menu, I'm saying that everyone who expressed their concern, would have liked to have more than one or two pieces of pizza for the $12 or $15 that they paid. And that it WAS A FABULOUS DEAL, providing the members got what they paid for.
default_wink.png

We're trying to keep away from national chains per a flood of requests from members. In the future the most I can see us using a chain for the Southern Meet would be at Longhorn's to help support Lightsabr's restaurant.
So, this sounds like Red Robin is no longer an option?
default_rolleyes.gif

topdeeni

kati...NOT DAVES...nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Not only is it a chain, it is a lame one IMHO....Sunday River Brewery made better ribs and they were dry as hekk.. (advance apologies if to anyone who grooves on thier ribs, I do not mean to offend UR taste buds)...

that's it Im bringing grills to NEFR next year and we is going to have a good old fashioned low-n-slow in the parking lot...

other than that...Thanx Kati! We have been eyeballing Heidi's for a while now and are goung to try it based on what U wrote....

paid AN ADDITIONAL $9.00 for a salad.
tell me that was the damm finest salad U ever had.....

Last edited by a moderator:

COSTIGAN86

how about a night at MIK? we could probably get a good rate with the amount of people we have, plus then we could have bragging rights
That would be awesome. But a weekend would be best for us northerners that would like to come.

ruggedman

Famous Dave's: We're trying to keep away from national chains per a flood of requests from members. In the future the most I can see us using a chain for the Southern Meet would be at Longhorn's to help support Lightsabr's restaurant.
Heidi's: I don't plan the Northern Meets, but I love deli's. Seriously, I freaking love sandwiches. I'll certainly bring it up for a Northern Meet

Great Wall: Neverending amounts of space and food, certainly fits the criteria there. However food-wise, not even the best Chinese food on the block. Imperial right down the road in the Petco parking lot is reallllllly really good chinese food, I may look into something like that since nearly all decent sized Chinese places have party rooms. oh yeah....SCORPION BOWLS!!!!!!!!1!!
Couldn't agree more on all fronts. I personally cant believe Famous Daves and Great Wall were even mentioned in this thread
default_additional_sillylol.gif
and both with food ratings of 4.5! Katrina it seems like your food expectations are really low.
default_wink.png

Tortilla Flat might be a cool option if the weather is still warm. They have that deck/patio thing, good drinks, good parking, tons of space. The food there is hit or miss, but we haven't done any mexican yet
default_biggrin.png

XDIRTYX

famous daves is not cheap by any means, its good but not cheap. again if anyone wants p.p.c. again ill talk with the owners and try to get a better deal and find out exactly what we will get for the money. i didnt just work there i hung out with them outside of work too.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
Couldn't agree more on all fronts. I personally cant believe Famous Daves and Great Wall were even mentioned in this thread
default_additional_sillylol.gif
and both with food ratings of 4.5! Katrina it seems like your food expectations are really low.
default_wink.png

Tortilla Flat might be a cool option if the weather is still warm. They have that deck/patio thing, good drinks, good parking, tons of space. The food there is hit or miss, but we haven't done any mexican yet
default_biggrin.png

I was thinking about fajita grill but im not sure how parking would be.

Food is great and excellent prices. Not to mention wensdays are $5 margarita day and they are huge. Maybe not such a good idea for a car meet though.

Famous dave has ok bbq in a pinch but I dont think the price is justified.

Great wall is terrible on everything except price.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I'm not arguing when asking this, are you disagreeing with the fact that I said there was hardly any pizzas brought out to only 2 halves of the tables? Because the members who expressed their disgust about the lack of pizza for the price [who may not publicly agree with me now] all wished they had more than one slice of pizza. The menu was clear to me, and it didn't matter to me, I didn't want pizza and paid AN ADDITIONAL $9.00 for a salad. So I am not disagreeing or arguing that there should have been more items on the menu, I'm saying that everyone who expressed their concern, would have liked to have more than one or two pieces of pizza for the $12 or $15 that they paid. And that it WAS A FABULOUS DEAL, providing the members got what they paid for.
default_biggrin.png

So, this sounds like Red Robin is no longer an option?
default_biggrin.png
Sorry if I ate to much pizza I wasnt really paying much attention with all the free beer I was drinking.
default_biggrin.png

LostinMaine

8/26/85 - 5/23/10
what about Margaritas on St. John st.? Good food, wide drink selection, a bit expensive, and on a Weds night there should be plenty of parking.

ruggedman

Famous dave has ok bbq in a pinch but I dont think the price is justified.
With places like:

Norm's East End in Portland

Beale Street in SOPO

Buck's Naked in Freeport

Why would anyone ever do famous daves?
default_smile.png

Back on topic though Fajita grill is pretty cool, but I agree...tough for a meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back