what type of oil?

Mr. Poon

I run Mobil1 5w/30 in all my cars, plus every other motor I own (lawn mower, snowblower, etc). I go 5,000 between changes and my '09 doesn't consume a drop, and I drive it hard. On the other hand, my '05 Rex and my '06 LGT each used a quart per 1,000.

The service manager at Quirk in Bangor, where I bought all the Subes, claims Subaru of American specifically says to avoid synthetics, and to use dino every 3,000. Says I risk frying the turbo. Safe to say I disagree.

Ryan

The service manager at Quirk in Bangor, where I bought all the Subes, claims Subaru of American specifically says to avoid synthetics, and to use dino every 3,000. Says I risk frying the turbo. Safe to say I disagree.
Really? Wow I find that kinda odd
default_smile.png

I used to run M1 also in every Suby I've owned... but after reading about the horror spun bearing stories on NASIOC, I just couldn't use it anymore. Plus, Rotella T is cheaper
default_woohoo.gif

XDIRTYX

i just read in my manual, there is a whole paragraph the says "you can use synthetic engine oil that meets the same requirements given for conventional engine oil. when using synthetic oil, you must use oil of the same classification, viscosity and grade shown in this Owner's Manual, and must follow the oil and filter changing intervals shown in the maintenance schedule." so...
default_additional_sillylol.gif

-----Added 9/8/2009 at 11:09:21-----

is there anywhere near saco or portland that sells amsoil? im getting my oil changed tomorrow but next time i want to use amsoil from there on out

nbourque

i just read in my manual, there is a whole paragraph the says "you can use synthetic engine oil that meets the same requirements given for conventional engine oil. when using synthetic oil, you must use oil of the same classification, viscosity and grade shown in this Owner's Manual, and must follow the oil and filter changing intervals shown in the maintenance schedule." so...
default_frown.gif

-----Added 9/8/2009 at 11:09:21-----

is there anywhere near saco or portland that sells amsoil? im getting my oil changed tomorrow but next time i want to use amsoil from there on out
Napa carries Amsoil.

RedForester08

I get my Amsoil 5w30 XL at Napa in Sanford $7 qt and only use Subaru Black oil filters. I bought a case of them before they discontinued and went to the Subaru Blue ones. Change every 3750 miles. My Forester consumes no oil between changes. Niether does my F-150 with 96k amd Amsoil every 5000 miles & Napa gold filter.

patsti

NitrousFed
Amsoil race filters = 7k
amsoil filters weight 3x as much as a standard filter... They are rated for 25000 miles... I change them every other oil change(3-4k as I change my oil ecver 1500-2k)

Run any group four and you will be happy... mobil one is group 3

amsoil

castrol edge dontknow if group 4 but my new fave)

royal purple = group 5 and is great for a track car but is only good for short drain intervals like mine.

GO on bobistheoilguy.com

Eric

It's almost my time for a new Oil change, was wondering if anyone has used Royal Purple Street Synthetic Motor Oil - SAE 5w30 ??

Would like to no before I change Oils.

Ryan

It's almost my time for a new Oil change, was wondering if anyone has used Royal Purple Street Synthetic Motor Oil - SAE 5w30 ??Would like to no before I change Oils.
I have. Ran it for a couple years in my 02. It's a very, VERY thin oil. Get's dirty real quick. Had no problems with it, but I recently switched to something thicker like Rotella T.

nickolasjamison

Don't mean to be a thread jesus but I use Castrol Syntec 5W30 and the blue subaru oil filter. I have no problems with it. I change every 3000 to 3500 miles.

Nate

Founding Father
You're changing your oil with synthetic every 2000 miles? HAHAHAHA. What a waste of money. If you're are going to do that, why not save your money and use regular?

Only reason I ever changed my oil near that increments with Mobil 1 was because its water, and I was down a quart at 2500.

Rotella 5w-30 synthetic.

woodys77

mobil 1 seems to be a good oil but not in subarus. this is the opinion of thousands not just nates...... but yeah his do suck.
default_banana.gif

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I used to run Mobil1 for a while. Too many opinions on it so I tried switching to Castrol.

Blackstone report at 3000 said oil was fine, run it to 3750. This was with a rallycross and a couple bombing runs during one of my favorite routes. If it's good for my car, I'm sure it's plenty fine for the commuter jockies.

Latest posts

Back