Another old Subaru-1990 Loyale build

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Does your car have AC?
It does, but it'll be getting removed. The condenser is kind of in the way for the new fans, and it just clutters up the engine bay in general. Also, the new harness will be routed through where the lines come through the firewall. Plus it'll be some weight reduction yo.

Last edited by a moderator:

smelt240

Hey, this worked for me the other night:

Try squaring off and kicking the blue wagon. Hard.  Hard enough to knock it over. My snowblower would not start, so i tried this. It worked.  It might have had something to do with the gas in the carb getting sloshed around when it tipped over and freed up(that's what my wife thinks), but i think it was the excellent front kick, and the threat of another one coming behind it.  Oh wait, that didnt work on the air compressor when you came to get the car though. 50/50 shot.  Id try it.

Seriously though, have you tried restarting the car yet?  I didnt think it seemed like a timing belt, esp where it started right up til you got to the trailer.  I guess either way that interior will be a huge upgrade to the white car.  If you're interested, my buddy still has that other Loyale parts car too, in pretty nice shape, its going nowhere fast with 2 feet of snow around it, so theres definately no rush if you end up wanting it, or they'll sell parts too...

IBratmanI

Yeah I put my optima in it and it just won't fire at all. And seems to spin too freely. I've seen those EA82's spit one of the timing belts before out of the blue. I haven't checked it for sure though. But like I said I can't get it to even fire. No biggie though. Can't wait till the ej swap is done and I can pick away at smaller things.

skipow

im just catching up on this journal, your progress looks awesome. i've been contemplating the ej22 swap for my brat. what transmission are you using? 

IBratmanI

im just catching up on this journal, your progress looks awesome. i've been contemplating the ej22 swap for my brat. what transmission are you using?
Be forewarned, it costs a fair amount of money and takes a lot of time lol. I'm using a 5 spd dual range. If you do the swap, you may want to do that tranny swap as well. The 4 spds aren't known for being all that strong to begin with.

IBratmanI

how would i find a dual range 5 speed? what vehicles did they come in?
85-89 EA82 GL's. So the Loyale body style like this car, but pre 1990. It could be difficult to find one. You may be able to find someone who could ship one from out west, because they are still pretty plentiful out there. If you don't care about low range, I have a 5spd push button, and a 5spd full time 4wd tranny.

IBratmanI

Lol. Probably just the ones that are already planned. But I'm on day 7 of OT. Over 100 hours of it so far.

brycetron

Love this thing.  Looks like a blast to drive around.  I worked on a job with a carpenter that had something just like this.  An old suby, jacked up and all.  He was from around our area.  His name is Jonas, At the time worked for a builder named Nick Kutch out of new Castle if my memory serves.  I am envious of the Mechanical knowledge you guys have to do stuff like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Love this thing.  Looks like a blast to drive around.  I worked on a job with a carpenter that had something just like this.  An old suby, jacked up and all.  He was from around our area.  His name is Jonas, At the time worked for a builder named Nick Kutch out of new Castle if my memory serves.  I am envious of the Mechanical knowledge you guys have to do stuff like that.
Yeah I know those guys. Jonas doesn't have that car anymore, and last I knew he had his own shop down in Bristol.

Thank you, I really like this car, and as soon as the motor swap is done, it'll be a lot more fun. I miss my XT a lot, but this is fun in a completely different way!

IBratmanI

Just ordered a set of Sachs adjustable front struts. Kinda sucks my struts are almost new, but I wanted to grab these while they are still being made. Someone luckily found them so I grabbed a set.

This is what they look like

IMG_0690_zpsd7f2b641.jpg

smelt240

First, a big thatks to all of you tree guys/ lineworkers! People that haven't worked these kinds of hours have no idea of what a week or 2 of 16-18 hour days does to you.. I dont plow anymore, but will never forget what it was like.     Next, have you seen the old Brat on craigslist?  Its an oldie, but i figured it might have another hi/low setup.  It looks like a pile of garbage, sitting in the woods.  Might be worth a look though!  Once we get thru this weather, ill be out to look at this white monster!

IBratmanI

Thanks, it was definitely a long couple weeks.

I haven't seen the brat, but those got the 4 spd dual range transmission which aren't as good, and on top of that I don't have any room for anymore cars right now lol. Let me know when you wanna check it out!

IBratmanI

So I have plans for some bumpers after the motor swap is done. I've been talking a bit with a fellow member that is willing to lend a helping hand with his fabbing skills! So I have a specific type of bumper in mind, just wanted to get everyones opinion. This style bumper is common in Australia.

I want to add, the small bar that goes below the main bumper beam would not be there. I don't want anything protruding down and forward like that to catch on things. I will probably have something to come off and go backwards and be used as a skid plate for the oil pan.

SUBARUDE

I think you should come up with your own design for the bumper I always thought those look horrible

IBratmanI

Lol wtf. Well the biggest problem is I want aluminum for the weight. Other than that I'd use tubing and bend something up similar to what my brat had. I doubt it'll be exactly like what is pictured anyway, but have some similarities.

Latest posts

Back