Another old Subaru-1990 Loyale build

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Here's some pics.

Before the EJ22 was dropped in

This is the EJ with the adapter plate installed

And then in place

With the adapter plate installed, the motor dropped right into the crossmember like it was meant to be there. No modification needed at all. Didn't even have to knock the motor mounts into the slots on the crossmember, just dropped right in. Now to hook up fuel lines, intake, coolant lines, and accessories. Then the harness needs to be installed as well. Hopefully next time, we'll get a bunch done!

IBratmanI

Got a bunch done on this yesterday. New cooling fans are installed, carbon canister installed, removed the stock windshield washer bottle from the fender and replaced it with one from an older style subaru under the hood, removed the spare tire holder from under the hood, made up new heater hoses, stretched the upper radiator hose to fit the ej crossover tube, finally added a battery tie down, put the alternator and power steering pump in place, and roughed in the new harness. Still need to hook that up, modify power steering lines, come up with a lower radiator hose, make a pitch stopper, and put on the air box aired intake. I'll try to post pics tonight.

Also bolted up the UEL header.

IBratmanI

A couple pics of the new cooling fans all in place

Heater hoses

Charcoal canister in the front left, and new washer fluid tank mounted in the engine bay. Just had to extend the wires a little, and re route the hose.

Wiring harness coming through the firewall

Wiring harness on the passenger side

Wiring harness on the driver side

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

So I had an unexpected day off yesterday so I worked on this. Gabe came up and hung out too. I got the pitch stopper all modified and mounted. I take all hooked up with some modification and help from Gabe. Power steering lines close to finished. And a bunch of the wiring is connected now. Still some figuring out to do with that though. Hopefully not much longer before it runs.

IBratmanI

A few pics

This is the EJ intake installed, using an 88 GL turbo air box

And this is an EJ pitch stop mount modified to fit. I cut and spread the top mount to fit the EA transmission, then rewelded down the middle, and then ran a long bolt thought the lower hole after drilling a hole in the clutch cable bracket.

IBratmanI

Last night I got the lower radiator hose sorted out. The damn thing is about 2 feet long, but it works. If the angle of the lower radiator outlet wasn't so extreme, it would have been easier. Also got a few more wires hooked up.  Got the cooling fans mostly wired up, and also spaced the center bearing on the driveshaft down about 3/4" so it won't rub on the body of the car anymore in 4WD. It was definitely nice being able to drive it in and out of the shop instead of pushing it!

IBratmanI

Off to the exhaust shop as soon as they can take it, then it'll be good to come home to finish small stuff!

IBratmanI

So hopefully early this week it'll go to the exhaust shop. Unfortunately the place we were going to take it, can't do it. So it has to be driven about 40 minutes with an open header to get to the shop that will.

Also got the parts car running again today. Not sure why it wouldn't start before, but after about 20 minutes of cranking on it, it slowly came to life. And after holding it to the floor for about 4 minutes, it stays running now lol. Ripped the carpet and seats out of that, so after they get cleaned up, and I get the Loyale home, then I can swap the carpet into that, along with the seats.

IBratmanI

So I haven't updated this in a while. Where it to stands is that the motor is all running and everything, but it's in limp mode for an unknown reason. Everything has been checked and double checked. It will not rev over 4kish RPM's. Didn't find out till we put a temporary muffler set up on it, so we could drive it to the exhaust shop. After that, we were actually able to rev it up without it being deafening. Then we found the issue. The only codes it throws is for the o2 sensor. It was throwing both o2 codes, but we put the first one in just to try it, with no change. Everyone on USMB thought it was the VSS not being hooked up, but it is now hooked up, and reads out on the diagnostic reader, so we know that's right. We have checked fuel pressure, vacuum, timing, and retraced electrical connections, along with pulling apart the main engine plugs to check for a bad connection there. We can't find anything. So to say I'm discouraged and frustrated is an understatement.

IBratmanI

Tried swapping the ecu last time I was there and that's not the problem either. Really wish this could get figured out.

smelt240

So hopefully early this week it'll go to the exhaust shop. Unfortunately the place we were going to take it, can't do it. So it has to be driven about 40 minutes with an open header to get to the shop that will.

Also got the parts car running again today. Not sure why it wouldn't start before, but after about 20 minutes of cranking on it, it slowly came to life. And after holding it to the floor for about 4 minutes, it stays running now lol. Ripped the carpet and seats out of that, so after they get cleaned up, and I get the Loyale home, then I can swap the carpet into that, along with the seats.
Told you it ran.    I think it was depressed about what it knew was going to become of it....    You should rip it around before you completely strip it.  The thing cranked right along for what it was.  I kept zapping it up and down the driveway, had a blast in that thing...

Also, Ill stop in there and check it out again sometime soon, it looks mighty fine driving by!

Latest posts

Back