Another old Subaru-1990 Loyale build

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Told you it ran. I think it was depressed about what it knew was going to become of it.... You should rip it around before you completely strip it. The thing cranked right along for what it was. I kept zapping it up and down the driveway, had a blast in that thing...

Also, Ill stop in there and check it out again sometime soon, it looks mighty fine driving by!
Yeah took it for a rip. Goes pretty good and sounds cool with the turbo lol.

Yeah the loyale looks cool but that's about all it does right now. I'll be there this Saturday. Feel free to stop in if you see any of my cars there.

smelt240

Yeah, it almost sounded like it had an atmospheric BOV or something.   My neighbors hate me hahaha!!!        Ill swing in if I see you guys over there!

Visonik

Is the VSS original? On my old rs, the VSS was junk, but it didn't read any codes (other than the o2 sensor). It seemed like being in limp mode was the only way to tell the VSS was bad. I don't know if it was suppose to read a code and didn't, or if it's just a quirky subaru thing, but mine just didn't read any codes for the VSS.

IBratmanI

Well there is no vss on the ej end of things, just the wire that goes to the ecu that sends the signal. On the loyale end of it, it taps into a wire that comes off the ecu, which gets its signal from the gauge cluster. The cluster Is fed vehicle speed from a cable from the transmission. The vss Is also giving out the correct signal when you watch it on the scan tool, which indicates that is all working properly. But yes, having it not work, would be something that would cause this issue.

IBratmanI

Swapped out intake manifolds.with a running car and there is no change. Still does the same thing. There is literally nothing else to check.

IBratmanI

So the new plan is......pull the obd2 EJ harness and ECU and send it back to the guy who made it, and he will send me a trimmed and labeled OBD1 harness and ECU to swap into my car. Along with the correct cam and crankk sensors, and MAF to work with the OBD1 as well. Then hopefully this thing will run without issue. But I'm sure it'll still be a while before that happens.

IBratmanI

JoshP

I didn't know you were doing a swap.  I wish I could help with the issue, but I don't know jack about Phase 1.  If it were phase 2 I'd be all over it.  Did you go through Numbchux for the harness? 

IBratmanI

I didn't know you were doing a swap. I wish I could help with the issue, but I don't know jack about Phase 1. If it were phase 2 I'd be all over it. Did you go through Numbchux for the harness?
No i actually went through Highguyslifts.com or he is known as Gloyale on USMB. He's done a ton of these swaps and built many harnesses. No one can figure this issue out. Really hoping the new harness and crap straightens it out.

IBratmanI

Haven't updated this in a while. Kids are watching a movie, so figured I might as well.

It's still not running right. I had the harness checked, and sent back to me with no change in what it does. So right now, I have another harness to install, from the guy who made me the first one. He's been really great. I haven't had to spend anymore money, he's just trying to help me get this thing running. Not sure when I'll have time to install the new harness, but hopefully sometime soon. If I had a garage, I could do it after work, but unfortunately I don't, and it's dark when I get home. I'm really hoping it works.

IBratmanI

Still haven't touched this. Although I know my optima battery is dead, even after a charge. I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty. Not sure though. Really wish I had a garage that had light and heat lol. I'd be 9th there right now installing the new harness.

smelt240

So, even with the dead battery.... Ill take it to save you the headaches.  Haha.. cant wait to see this thing sorted out...

IBratmanI

Recently got something from a guy I've gotten to know in Australia. A set of corner markers for the EA82 body syle that we never got in the U.S.

Also picked up a carburated EJ22 that came with a Weber carb, attached to a customer intake manifold, and a distributor and coil as well. This will be a last resort if I can't get the current set up running with the obd2 harness.

And this is a sneak peak at my newest project I acquired.

IBratmanI

Can I have the Brat?
Lol. Sorry but no. Should be pretty sweet when it's back together. It started life with a 1.6 and a single range 4spd. It'll now have a 1.8 and dual range 4spd. And quite a few other modifications as well. And it's pretty solid as well.

smelt240

How high is that lifted already?  Id love to find another one, we used to beat the snot out of those things in high school.  Wish we hadn't now though...  I saw one on CL for 3600 in MA, supposed to be really nice..

IBratmanI

How high is that lifted already?  Id love to find another one, we used to beat the snot out of those things in high school.  Wish we hadn't now though...  I saw one on CL for 3600 in MA, supposed to be really nice..
Well it has newer ea81 Gen 2 crossmembers and suspension modified to fit under it, and has a couple inches of lift on top of that. So it's at least a few inches higher than stock. This one will be more of a poser. It'll have a little bit of the off road look and capability, but won't be beaten off road. It's definitely not perfect, but it's way too solid an rare to beat to death. All old subarus are hard to find, especially in decent shape. Especially on this side of the country.

Latest posts

Back