Autocross 2007 Discussion

akinaspeedstar

so this has been discussed before but this is a different angle.

what's the best auto crossing tire in stock size...... wait for it....

for under $300 for the set. ^-^

ReZPunK

ok how many classes are there again?

and what class will i be in with my red stitch shift boot?

ralli

ok how many classes are there again?

and what class will i be in with my red stitch shift boot?
THEY EXTREMO MODIFIED CLASS!! I dont know.. 40.. which most are very heavily subscribed at a national level..

As for best tire under $300 for a set.. I would have to say probably the Kumho SPT's maybe?? I highly reccomend them for rain.. so a good all around summer tire IMO

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
red stitched shift boot would be stock. non performance mods such as shift knobs and the such are allowed.

Akina is on 16's so he could probably get Kook RS2's for around 300.

ralli

I think the Kumho SPT's would be a better tire for about $10 or so more a tire IMO. But.. those may be a good all around tire. I have no experience and where as you aren't dowgrading from Falken's that wont be too bad so that may be a very good choice for you.

akinaspeedstar

right now my tires are crap, brand new, but crap. so just about anything is better. i'm looking for something that i can drive on everyday in the summer, then thrash at the autox on weekends. next year if im lucky i'll get some dedicated race rims and tires

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
just run what you have now. save for a really good set of wheels and tires.

as Sir Nigel Prodrive would say: upgrade the software, the hardware can come later.

akinaspeedstar

one word why im not gonna race on the tires i have. multimiles. these make re92's look like R compounds. one or two races of sliding all over the place and they'd be shot anyway, and i'd STILL have to buy new ones! so the idea is i buy summer/race tires run them for the summer then in the fall i find a second set of rims and put these back on as my winter tires.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
one word why im not gonna race on the tires i have. multimiles. these make re92's look like R compounds. one or two races of sliding all over the place and they'd be shot anyway, and i'd STILL have to buy new ones! so the idea is i buy summer/race tires run them for the summer then in the fall i find a second set of rims and put these back on as my winter tires.
seriously, you won't wear those out. they are too hard. you will get a full season of AutoX and daily out of them. Hell most people get that out of the stickier tires (10-15k mile tires)

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
it pays to start out with a less prepared low power car. that is how you learn line

ralli

I'll more or less second what Pedro is saying, while I think its great that you want to upgrade your tires, which is the single best upgrade, but if you want to upgrade them, wait until you've done it a few tires and go from there and save the money for the best that particular class allows. At first you are going to mess up a lot.. and when you go too hot into a color and jam on the brakes, try to turn, and push through the corner, you're going to cook off a ton of tire. Now that can be extremely cheap multimiles that you will learn more about proper driving, weight transfer, what the car does at the limit (as you'll be over the limit a lot with those), etc etc, thus making you a better driver. Or, it can be expensive in the middle of the road tires that you wont be learning as much from and may never be able to realize your full potential. (plus learning with the cheap tires to go slow to go fast will be much easier...)

But, as always the choice is yours. Even if you decide you want to upgrade soon, at least try an event or two (storyland yay!) on the crap ones and there wont be as much pressure to upgrade ASAP. (just a thought).

FYI: Unofficially I think only 7 weekends to prepare for the tenetive Storyland dates April 28th and 29th.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
FYI: Unofficially I think only 7 weekends to prepare for the tenetive Storyland dates April 28th and 29th.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! and my super top secret parts haven't arrived yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!one!

RedForester08

Pedro, Will I be able to do a couple of AutoX's and still get buy for the summer with the Hankooks with 60% tread? Or am I being a rookie just smoke them off on the track and have do buy new before the end of Summer anyway

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Pedro, Will I be able to do a couple of AutoX's and still get buy for the summer with the Hankooks with 60% tread? Or am I being a rookie just smoke them off on the track and have do buy new before the end of Summer anyway
my guess is yes. And after that you will be able to retire them as daily drivers and just autoX them ( you can run them down to 0 tread)

if you are around some night let me know I will show you the tires I ran last season... hehe

jmailhot

I plan on participating in several auto-x this year. I like the advice that, as a rookie, crappy tires and an under powered car can be a good learning tool, as I have both. However, if I wanted a dedicated auto-x tire for stock subaru 16x7 wheels, what should i get. I was thinking about 215/45/16 azenis rt-615 as summer daily drivers and auto-xers. but whats this I hear about dedicted auto-x wheels?

I am currently on brand new yoko avid v4's (all season) 225/50/16 on the stock wheels.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I am not farmiliar with your car, so what do you have for mods? That will be the best way to figure out the best tire choice for dedicated tires/wheels.

Otherwise your selection of Azenis for summer/autoX tire is most excelent

Latest posts

Back