das GL!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
That car is AWESOME! And yea, I'm sure if I can keep up in an OHV 1.8 pushing 80hp, I'd do fine with a 2.5
default_smile.png

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I actually really want to build something like that one day. I think it would be a great dirt road explorer platform for this area of the country.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I have to say, the GL has been a hell of a lot of fun. I really miss having something with the versatility. It can't do extreme rock crawling or that stuff, but I drove it down tons of logging roads in my area and it does pretty awesome. What's great is that it's so light. If you get it stuck in mud, it doesn't sink as deep because it doesn't weigh 5 tons, that also means you can haul it out with a come-along attached to a tree without too much effort. I've pulled it sideways out of ditches with a come-along, three guys can actually lift the back end up and swing the car around.

When it's a bit warmer I'm going to try to fix the rust enough to pass inspection and be safe for a few more years. Mechanically all it needs in a new rear end and axles.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I do look forward to more of your adventures with this thing. My neighbor growing up had a 2dr hatch and it was a great little thing. He used to give me a ride home after soccer (he was a few years ahead of me)

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
2door hatch is one of my most favourite subarus. I'd love to find one of those.

Glad you like my adventures
default_smile.png

It has so much rust and whatnot it's never gonna be perfect without doing a full blown restoration, which isn't really worth it when there are others to be found. But it is worth at least trying to make it safe and legal again.

Last edited by a moderator:

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
My BRAT had far more rust and it was fixed twice! It can be done, but lots of time has to be taken. I miss having an older Subaru. I had around 20 of them. And 4 of them were lifted. It's amazing where they will go. Unfortunately the newer ones are quite a bit heavier, so even with the dual range, they may not go quite as many places as the older ones. But it'll still be fun. That's why I like the 98 Forester. It's amazing what it can do with 2" of lift and 2" bigger tires. And the auto is the way to go for offroading the newer ones. Hands down. You will not get the crawling ability with the 5 spd dual range. Just do the 50/50 mod and it'll be nearly unstoppable!

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Yep, that's the one. I didn't know that 88 5mt 4x4 automatically mean d/r. That's pretty awesome, that was the first thing I was gonna swap.

Now if he could email me back...

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
Yeah they were either 5spd 2 wheel drive, 5 spd dual range 4x4, or 4x4 push button auto. The loyales were all push buttons and the EA81's were 4 spd dual range 4x4, 5 spd 2WD, or 4x4 push button 4WD.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Huh, cool! I didn't know that.

I didn't know all the specs per year, just how to take it all apart and make it work
default_smile.png

Hopefully he gets back to me. Then I'll have a pile of d/r transmissions and ea parts. My car will never die.

Latest posts

Back