How bad do you beat on your car?

skipow

im a level 65 in dirt 2. so my wrc career is coming along nicely

default_angry.png

i think the ebrake is a useful tool in getting the car sideways. do you always need it? no. does it help snap the back end? of course.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
ebrake should be the last resort to swing the tail, not the first thing you try

ebrake use while moving in most Subies tends to confuse the ABS and/or trac/stability control and makes the effect of the ebrake much less useful. ebrake works best on low speed low grip hairpin type maneuvers

there are lots of other ways to get car to rotate: trail braking, left-foot braking, flick (turn left before u turnin right) basically you are trying to create major weight transfer to the wheels on outside of the turn. most of this stuff is quite counter-intuitive and takes a while to master...best learnt in controlled conditions with an instructor (aka shameless plug for Team O'Neil witer drivin school course)

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Or empty parking lot full of snow!!!!!
yes, the perfect place to reinforce bad habits, (not to mention whack curbs and bounce off'n light poles (right Rad?))

my point is, it's one thing to slip n slide your car around in the snow...totally another thing to learn how to actually be IN CONTROL of that slippin n slidin. and for some strange reason when the driver is in control, there is generally less "beating on the car" that happens....

Last edited by a moderator:

skipow

are they still offering that winter driving one day class at Oneil? i saw a post about it somewhere....

Rallytech14

yes, the perfect place to reinforce bad habits, (not to mention whack curbs and bounce off'n light poles (right Rad?))

my point is, it's one thing to slip n slide your car around in the snow...totally another thing to learn how to actually be IN CONTROL of that slippin n slidin. and for some strange reason when the driver is in control, there is generally less "beating on the car" that happens....
very well put

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
are they still offering that winter driving one day class at Oneil? i saw a post about it somewhere....
yes. Winter Safe classes are: Jan 8, Jan 15 (full) Feb 5, and March 5.

special MS rate is $295 (reg rate $395) if u sign up tell em Dave G sent you.

www.teamoneil.com

dflwrx

i have an 04 sti and was wondering whats the worst thing that could happen when u do cookies on dry pavement
The weakest link in the factory STI driveline is typically going to be one of the rear axles... So if I were to put money on one component failure it would be a rear CV joint, although it does take a lot of abuse to get one of those to fail.

Overall though, I think the worst thing that can happy while doing "cookies" on pavement would be a close up inspection of a light pole or pedestrian.
default_frown.gif

As far as how hard I beat on my car, I really have way more fun trying to place the car well in a set of corners rather than just going bananas with it in an empty parking lot. There's no better feeling than the first time you link up a nice set of corners on snow or gravel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back