Nate's Car Log

Stein

Stein
Hey Karpenter, where'd you find that Bugeye for $4400? Online or did you drive past it or something?

There was one on craigslist for a while for $4400 but it needed some work.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the RS route over WRX, simply because I don't need the extra power.

krazykarpenter

I found it simply by driving past it, it was at a private dealer in upper New Gloucester. Right near Forzen custerd, if you know where that is. I will drive up there tomorrow and take a look at it for you and let you know about the specifics of it. It is seriously like 5 min from my house. I will pm you with the details.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Thanks Chris. What dealer is it? They may have it listed online.
I was about to say "you're welcome", but I had no idea what you were thanking me for... then I realized there is yet another chris on the forum... still not as many of us as Nates... this board is overrun by Nates...

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
so... have you bought a car yet?

I think you get the award for the longest member without a car...

Have you gotten your license yet at lest?

Stein

Stein
After two freaking weeks I just got the letter back today.

Test is June 1st
default_smile.png
. Don't drive like dicks in Portland that day
default_tongue.png

So no, no car. We still do need a car for this summer in WA, but we're leaving it out there (we have to fly because we have to stay for something, then come back for the school year a few days later
default_additional_sillylol.gif
).

We'll either be getting a wagon or a small SUV. I'm praying an Impreza/Legacy/Forester M/T. Then, if I can find a freaking job when I get home (or even in WA during the summer), I'll be allowed to get a car. Until then, I'll be showing up to any/all meets in a Nissan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
You aren't going to leave your car out there, are you?

Because you will kick yourself...

Or, you could buy a nice old suby out there, and bring it back here. That would be sweet!

Stein

Stein
That's what I wanted to do, but like I said, I'm not allowed to drive home (yet). I already am kicking myself that they already bought plane tickets.

I think we'll out there, and I'll drive it home the next summer (or next time I have time to drive it back, but we are driving the next summer). I may just get a second car here though.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Or just let your parents buy a car, and have it be your problem. Or have it be your second car. And have your first car here. If I had a car across the country I'd be kicking myself because I really need a car here to get my ass around...

On the note of transportation, you could also build a motorized bicycle. Easy to work on, fun, 150+MPG, etc. I'm still waiting on parts, but a cheap way to get around. In summer at least.

Stein

Stein
Hmm... Care to post a link to parts or a kit?

I don't think I'll be riding a motorized bike anywhere other than around yarmouth, so if I want/find a job anywhere else I'll need a car in addition...

Probably best just to put all my money into one place.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Hmm... Care to post a link to parts or a kit?I don't think I'll be riding a motorized bike anywhere other than around yarmouth, so if I want/find a job anywhere else I'll need a car in addition...

Probably best just to put all my money into one place.
I have spent $120 in parts so far... so it isn't like it is a huge investment.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Check this out.

Not sure if it has had the head gaskets done or not, it is a DOHC, but it looks good, 5spd for a good price.

http://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/1183383063.html

I have that exact same car that my sister and parents drive, it is an awesome car in the winter.

There is also this

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1179969573.html

Although he didn't drive it after replacing the brakes? seems a bit sketchy to me... but a test drive would prove if they work or not.

BTW, sockmonkey, is that your car? If so I think it is FWD.

Stein

Stein
Thanks for the links!

I'll probably stay away from the L, but the other Legacy looks good. I think my parents want me to get something newer, and for like 2k more I could get an 02-03 Impreza. Plus, I got my mom to agree to 50% of the car cost.

It depends on the miles of that thing though, but they're not listed :.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Thanks for the links!I'll probably stay away from the L, but the other Legacy looks good. I think my parents want me to get something newer, and for like 2k more I could get an 02-03 Impreza. Plus, I got my mom to agree to 50% of the car cost.

It depends on the miles of that thing though, but they're not listed :.
I wouldn't go say newer is necessarily better, I got my 1996 legacy L with 89k miles on it. A lot cheaper than I would have gotten, say, a 2000 legacy with 89k miles for.

And probably the same amount of problems. Plus the 96 legacy has a better engine, the good 'ol 2.2. The only really huge issue I have had was the water pump seizing up, but that isn't at all common at 92k miles, when mine happened.

Stein

Stein
Good point. How easy is it to find Imprezas with the 2.2L? Did they make an AWD 2.2L Impreza?

edit: yes they did. It also seems that a bunch of people over at NASIOC have turbocharged the 2.2L, but there were no stock turbo 2.2L Imprezas sold in North America, right?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Good point. How easy is it to find Imprezas with the 2.2L? Did they make an AWD 2.2L Impreza?
I don't know about the 2.2 bit, but yes, most of them were AWD.

It seems there are a lot more FWD imprezas than any other subaru. But most of them, especially in new england are AWD.

Oh, and BTW, the 1.8 engine is crap, don't get a 1.8L impreza.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I don't know about the 2.2 bit, but yes, most of them were AWD.It seems there are a lot more FWD imprezas than any other subaru. But most of them, especially in new england are AWD.

Oh, and BTW, the 1.8 engine is crap, don't get a 1.8L impreza.
THIS.

I test drove an auto 1.8L. Honestly I could put wheels on a blender and it would be faster. The motor was completely gutless.

Latest posts

Back