Nate's Car Log

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
THIS.
I test drove an auto 1.8L. Honestly I could put wheels on a blender and it would be faster. The motor was completely gutless.
not just that, it is unreliable and likes to leak and run like crap.

Stein

Stein
do want...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/1185174972.html

It kind of looks like the owner would have beat on it a bit though, with the black stockers and all... Plus 7k seems a lot for a car with 141k miles.

The '00-'04 look so much better than the older Legacies, and the '05+ look even better (but they're out of my price range for sure). I think its worth saving up for even longer to get one.

I'm not finding many GD 5-sp Imprezas in the Seattle area.

Do you think that I could find an M/T for under 1k? I honestly have no idea what trannies cost. This is a full grand cheaper, and its a sedan (which has pluses and minuses), but its an auto. It's $95 cheaper than a 1997 LGT w/5-sp.

What do you guys think of those three cars?

Edit: Impreza OBS for the same amount as the LGT auto sedan ($5900). lol they're both at the same used car dealership too
default_eek.gif

Can't wait to get out there and start shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Do you think that I could find an M/T for under 1k? I honestly have no idea what trannies cost.
And do what with it? don't buy an auto and swap in a manual... totally not worth the time in any way shape or form... unless it is an SVX
default_eek.gif

I still you'll be kicking yourself if you by a car out there. You'll be in highschool, your friends will all have a car, and all you can say is "well I have a car... across the country..."

And then ask for a ride home... just my $0.02.

Stein

Stein
And do what with it? don't buy an auto and swap in a manual... totally not worth the time in any way shape or form... unless it is an SVX
default_eek.gif

I still you'll be kicking yourself if you by a car out there. You'll be in highschool, your friends will all have a car, and all you can say is "well I have a car... across the country..."

And then ask for a ride home... just my $0.02.
I know, but I don't have a choice in the matter.

We can't borrow my cousin's car the whole time we're there, and renting would be way too much (the cheapest I can find is about $2k).

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
so get a crappy old honda or toyota for 500 bucks and call it good.

I'm about your age and I can relate. I'd just tell my parents that, sure you can get a car over there. Great. But it won't be mine. my car will be in Maine.

I didn't get my own car till after highschool, I drove the family wagon, the 99 outback. Then the summer after highschool, I took my hard earned monies and bought myself a legacy
default_eek.gif

Stein

Stein
Like I said, I don't have a choice.

I want to convince them to get a nice 2.2L Legacy wagon for cheep. First I have to find a cheap 2.2L Legacy
default_additional_sillylol.gif
. That way we still have money for a car for me.

Have I mentioned I could use a job?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Personally, I didn't expect my parents to buy me a car. Or pay for part of it. I could live with taking the bus to portand for college, riding my bike around, getting rides, etc.

I got a job, worked my ass off, and bought a car.

Stein

Stein
If I had extra money I'd buy it just to keep it in nice shape!

But I don't
default_mad.gif

WTH is up with this gauge cluster?

5115508_max.jpg

edit: I win on the classic GL battle. 47k miles! (I doubt that's true, it must have rolled over to 000000)

lol another one. 250k miles, part-time AWD.

edit again: http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/1188282210.html. Needs headlights, clutch, and rear light panel (what's that?). Could all that work be done in a few days? For the clutch, the tranny would need to be pulled and that would be a PITA.

another edit: when do the heads need replacing? Is it just subaru "enthusiasts" who have head issues or is it everybody? I was talking to my dad about the 2.2L engines, and he said that in general the head gaskets should only blow when the car is driven spiritedly.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Nothing is up with that gauge cluster... it just doesn't have a tach, that's all.

The biggest problem are the leftmost 2 digits on the odometer
default_mad.gif

Stein

Stein
lol didn't even look at the miles
default_mad.gif

I would feel so... disoriented without a tach.

What do you think of that car that needs work? And the head gaskets?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
at 168k it prolly has had head gaskets done... but then maybe not. Good question to ask.

Not sure what rear light panel is... tail lights maybe?

if you can't change the headlights on that car you shouldn't buy it...

Clutch is a PITA because you've gotta pull the engine. Unless you have a lift, then pulling the tranny is mildly less of a PITA.

Pulling engine isn't terribly hard... Just time consuming and a lot of little steps and swearing.

Stein

Stein
My question about the gaskets was more about all Legacies than that specific one. Do all (90+%) 2.2L engines have the HG problem? Or is it just cars that were driven hard?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
The 2.2s rarely blow head gaskets. when they do go, it is usually well over 200k

Stein

Stein
wait... what? I thought you said that your problems with the 2.2L were like the normal HG issues but worse?

damn, now I want a 2.2L even more

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
wait... what? I thought you said that your problems with the 2.2L were like the normal HG issues but worse?
no... I have had 2 issues. 1st, the water pump seized, but that isn't a fault of the engine really, just a stupid water pump. And since the engine is non-interference it lived through loosing timing. A big plus for the ej22.

2nd issue, when I was changing plugs one was wicked stuck. I had to really crank on the thing to get it out, and I assume that borked the threads.

My engine also has the added awesomeness of not having EGR. But unfortunately most of them have it
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back