Nate's Car Log

Stein

Stein
default_lost.gif

I know it looks better, but it would be more sleeper without it. The GC Imprezas didn't have TMICs right? I could theoretically trade for an L hood.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
default_lost.gif
I know it looks better, but it would be more sleeper without it. The GC Imprezas didn't have TMICs right? I could theoretically trade for an L hood.
No N/A cars have TMICs.... even if they have a hood scoop...

To replace the rear main seal/oil separator you either need to pull the engine or the transmission.

Pulling the engine on my car was an all day affair.... But I had Lobster helping me
default_eek.gif

GClark

I would keep the hood it. It looks really good! And its a Outback Sport, you cant be any more sleeper then that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stein

Stein
Lol, true Garrett.

Chris, how long would it take a dealer to do it? A day or two? Hopefully not more.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Lol, true Garrett.Chris, how long would it take a dealer to do it? A day or two? Hopefully not more.
They'd have a lift. So most likely pull the transmission. Not nearly as big a job. So prolly a day.

Mark

buy lobstah's 2.5rs. just do it. it's cooler than a bugeye rs. bugeye wrx is nice, but it's not worth stretching and buying one that's going to end up not reliable.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
^^ +1

He is asking a good price for it too. And it looks nice... I was checking it out last time I was at his house. It is in good shape.

Mark

can we get a +2? let's make this a consensus people. couple months ago when my car was a wreck i was seeing nice RS's go for almost as much as lowend bugeye wrx's. i've always like the RS and i think they can look absolutely NASTY with the right type of visual mods.

Stein

Stein
If he's willing to pay for shipping to Washington state, sure I'd buy it
default_smile.png

We're getting a car within a week or two out there and driving it home next Thanksgiving or Christmas break.

It'll likely be a 2.2L Impreza (there's a sudden lack of them on craigslist
default_biggrin.png
) or Legacy though.

edit: when did Ford start producing Volvos? I know they were bought around 1999-2000, but did some of the cars continue to be made at the same plant without Ford meddling with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Save up your money and get a good nice reliable subaru. That's what I tried to do... Mine is pretty nice, the interior is more or less spotless. And after some big issues (water pump seizing, broken coil spring, stripped plug (kinda my fault)...), it is pretty reliable. But you really get what you pay for.

Stein

Stein
Little update guys: My cousin gets home this friday so we have to give back the car soon. We've been looking all over, but we haven't found anything perfect yet.

Tomorrow morning we're meeting a guy who has a 2004 Legacy Wagon 5-sp for $8000. It's cheap because of a salvage title from being rear-ended. It looks to be in great shape.

Today we looked at, among other things, a 1997 OBS 5-sp with 128k. The guy was asking $3900, but my dad said that the transmission felt a bit bad. It also had a pretty marred up passenger side from where his wife turned into their fence parking it in the back yard. I thought the car was perfect, but my dad didn't think so. Most importantly, my mom's name is on the credit card and she didn't want a car "so old" with any damage on it. Given, she's in Maine right now, but still...

We also drove an '00 or '01 Legacy automatic, and I didn't like the automatic part of it, but it does make more sense for some of the nasty roads around here, as well as the traffic. From the same dealer we drove a '99 forester. The Forester felt a lot "stronger" to both me and my dad, and it also sounded louder. I assume they both had the same engine though.

Yesterday we drove a 5-sp legacy with a crappy transmission. We took it to a parking lot and my dad let me drive it for a few minutes. I managed to get it into 1st 2/4 times I tried. Remember, this was facing down a hill
default_wink.png
. (I was freaked out after I tried to restart it the first time and couldn't figure out how. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to have the clutch-sensitive starter?)

I'll update you guys again when we get a car. I'll be sure to include pictures
default_wink.png

Stein

Stein
Tomorrow morning we're meeting a guy who has a 2004 Legacy Wagon 5-sp for $8000. It's cheap because of a salvage title from being rear-ended. It looks to be in great shape.
Just got home from this. It looked great. Drove well, transmission was in better shape than the last one (says my dad, I didn't drive it), and there was no sign of the accident. The owner said that he was getting rid of it to just "get something new" and "for a sportier car, not a station wagon." This seemed a little on the phoney side to me, but that doesn't really mean anything.

I need input on the title thing. Right now its registered in Oregon, where the "reconstructed" text is very small and in a text box. In Washington, the whole paper has an overlay that says "REBUILT," like a water mark (or at least this is what the owner said).

I think that the rebuilt title will only be a negative if we want to resell the car, but I don't see that happening unless I can't handle the transmission (which I also don't see happening, but there are definitely a few roads where I would have an extremely hard time getting started from a stop-sign/red light).

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
If my sister can drive a stick, so can you... and if you can't, you'll just have been one-upped by my sister
default_cool.png

Stein

Stein
I'll try to take a picture of this intersection for you. It was freaking unbelievable.

I spun the tires giving it no more gas than I would at a normal traffic light if that helps to show you how darn steep it was.

Mark

there's no one that "can't handle" a standard transmission, just people who haven't tried hard enough. don't worry about it, even if it takes a little while, you'll get the hang of it and it will be natural

insert carter joke somewhere around here

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
If the car was rebuilt right and you aren't buying it for resale, not biggie. it's just hard to tell the good from the bad sometimes.

Stein

Stein
Thanks Shorty, that's what I figured.

Unfortunately, we ended up not buying a car this year. We're going to wait until next year when there's more money to go around.

Until then, we're renting a car. It was like $800 a month. A 2009 Buick Lucerne. My thoughts: The features are nice but the car drives like, well, a Buick. I keep getting fed up with the transmission: not only is it an automatic but it shifts at the worst times, and third gear is pretty much useless. That doesn't stop the car from shifting into it though.

Latest posts

Back