Nate's Car Log

Tyler

I did a transmission swap ... It wasn't bad ...

But that was after I did the 22t swap
default_frown.gif

Coming from me, I would say get something that you'll have fun driving without having to heavily mod ... in the end it's much more worth it and unless you have a second vehicle, it's not fun to do. If you want a 5 spd, find a 5 spd. If you want a ej22, find an ej22. If you want a turbo ...

well either find one, or don't ... when it's time for a new car, that's usually a good time to upgrade
default_frown.gif

Stein

Stein
Well I won't be able to wait until I find a 22t Impreza (they had to be imported, right?), but I wouldn't mind going the Legacy route for boost
default_frown.gif

I'll see if my parents or I can get insurance numbers for various cars and I'll post 'em up.

I assume that a bugeye RS will have lower insurance costs than a 22t Legacy (because of the turbo), and that an LGT will be lower than an ej22 Impreza because of the whole teenage "yo its a sport car dawg, lets see how fast we can roll around this city corner" that make it so expensive.

I'm just guessing though.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Turbo + teenager = HOLY MOTHER OF GOD INSURANCE BILL!!!!

I was looking at turbo imprezas... I got a legacy L...

Stein

Stein
Lol I know, but I want an LGT soooooooo badly.

I think its really between LGT and N/A Impreza for me. Probably wagon.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Lol I know, but I want an LGT soooooooo badly.I think its really between LGT and N/A Impreza for me. Probably wagon.
Wagon would be nice... for my camping trip. 4 of us are taking my little L sedan for a week camping trip... I'll post pics of my DIY roof rack. Makes the sedan much more bearable.

Tyler

Well I won't be able to wait until I find a 22t Impreza (they had to be imported, right?), but I wouldn't mind going the Legacy route for boost
default_biggrin.png
.I'll see if my parents or I can get insurance numbers for various cars and I'll post 'em up.

I assume that a bugeye RS will have lower insurance costs than a 22t Legacy (because of the turbo), and that an LGT will be lower than an ej22 Impreza because of the whole teenage "yo its a sport car dawg, lets see how fast we can roll around this city corner" that make it so expensive.

I'm just guessing though.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! There is no such thing as a factory 22t Impreza. The 22t was USDM 90-94 Legacy only! I did a long and complex motor swap to get mine ... and it's still not *trustworthy* at this point, almost 2 years later!

All I was trying to say ... find what you want to drive and buy that ... swaps can be fun but only when they work (which they do, but they're also more complex because there are parts and other things that will be in your car from various other cars and you have to remember it all.)

I've got brakes from one car, transmission from another car, motor/ecu from another car, wiring from 3 cars ... it gets confusing. Ask me how many miles are on my car ...
default_wink.png

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! There is no such thing as a factory 22t Impreza. The 22t was USDM 90-94 Legacy only! I did a long and complex motor swap to get mine ... and it's still not *trustworthy* at this point, almost 2 years later!
All I was trying to say ... find what you want to drive and buy that ... swaps can be fun but only when they work (which they do, but they're also more complex because there are parts and other things that will be in your car from various other cars and you have to remember it all.)

I've got brakes from one car, transmission from another car, motor/ecu from another car, wiring from 3 cars ... it gets confusing. Ask me how many miles are on my car ...
default_wink.png
Quoting this for a reason.

I said it earlier, you need a transportation appliance not a project. Wait and buy the right car, don't buy a car and plan on swapping to what you want. Trying to get to school/internship/interview/work/meet/date and having your car in a million pieces isn't fun, and certainly doesn't help you graduate/stay employed, etc.

Last summer I bought a motorcycle from the 80's. I had a Monday through Friday job. I couldn't keep the bike running consistently when I first got it. If I didn't have a reliable car to hop into when the bike was puking gas all over my driveway, I would have ended up unemployed. We're in Maine, a reliable form of transportation is a necessity.

If you insist on some project get a dirt bike/atv/gokart/motorcycle/lawnmower or some cheap craigslist car and work on that.

Sorry if I come off as a dick saying that, I don't mean to at all, but it's really the honest/best advice I could give.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler

Quoting this for a reason.
I said it earlier, you need a transportation appliance not a project. Wait and buy the right car, don't buy a car and plan on swapping to what you want. Trying to get to school/internship/interview/work/meet/date and having your car in a million pieces isn't fun, and certainly doesn't help you graduate/stay employed, etc.
HAHAHA YES +1

Sorry if I come off as a dick saying that, I don't mean to at all, but it's really the honest/best advice I could give.
Basically what I was saying!

Your first car shouldn't be a project car ... as long as it's still your only car!
default_wink.png

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
HAHAHA YES +1
Your first car shouldn't be a project car ... as long as it's still your only car!
default_wink.png
Yeah this is why my dad didn't let me buy that rusted out 1979 Pontiac Trans Am when I was in highschool.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I agree on the reliable transportation thing. I have my bike to mess with if I want to mess with something. But if it breaks, I jump in my subaru and I'm good to go.

Stein

Stein
I don't really want to do a swap anyway. My idea of a neat project is doing some custom paint or something unique to make it one-of-a-kind.

I found a really nice '97 Impreza Sedan (with WRX suspension, wheels, and seats) with 150k, a '97 Impreza OB wagon with 67k (no pictures of it yet), and a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS with 130k miles.

Both of the '97s have the 2.2L, of course.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
97+ has the phase 2 ej22, right?

I guess they are just as good... interference though.

Stein

Stein
Wouldn't it be better in that case?

I'm so confused.

edit: what about going another route: Hyundai Elantra, Sonata, or Accent? All Manual/standard of course. Though I'm having a hard time finding a manual sonata.

I could also go civic/accord.

Tyler

Wouldn't it be better in that case?I'm so confused.

edit: what about going another route: Hyundai Elantra, Sonata, or Accent? All Manual/standard of course. Though I'm having a hard time finding a manual sonata.

I could also go civic/accord.
Excuse me, WHAT?!
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Haha, get what you can find ... Subarus are better tho
default_biggrin.png

Stein

Stein
What is phase 2 though?
Still not 100% sure on this...

I found a '95 Legacy Wagon with only 80k miles (or so they say). I emailed them asking for pictures and the VIN. They said that the driver's door is green (on a grey car) but they had to replace it when they bought it (which makes me think they bought it used).

How much is a good mono-color repaint? What about two-toned? (yes, a ricey Legacy in the planning
default_biggrin.png
default_additional_party.gif
)

edit: found a 2008 Lancer DE (only 2wd, not sure if FWD or RWD) 5-sp for $8000! It's got 37.5 miles on it. This seems like an amazing deal, even though it isn't a Subaru.

Or a brand new Lancer is only like 12-13k... *counts pennies...*

Latest posts

Back