STiXXX' '05 WRX- The Red-Headed Step Child

stiXXX

...You can make a table from the *%#{}?!! 2.0L block, IF I don't tie it around my neck & jump in the lake first.

Clearly, Subarus are pyssing me OFF.

On the high side, if there is one:

Recently Acquired:

1) JDM VF34 ball-bearing turbo w/ 40k miles, in great shape

2) "New" (3k miles) OEM STI Clutch/Flywheel

3) NEW Dooshwerks 750cc injectors

Drop in the LGT EJ255, the injectors, clutch, and turbo, then a tune/dyno at Kinetic, and after that I'll decide on wether or not to sell* it. I have one PITA racecar, I don't need two.
default_smile.png

XXX

*If you were wondering, if I do sell it, what would I want for it?

The answer is $12.5-13K in perfect running order w/the 37K mile EJ25/VF34 conversion, all said & done. CASH.

Last edited by a moderator:

stiXXX

Kinetic is wrapping up the WRX now.

I added a new TurboSmart BPV, as the Perrin BPV Epic Failed-the POS!

I also added: spankin' new 750cc Dooshwerks
default_biggrin.png
injectors, as The Pinks were maxed-out @ 4100RPM w/ the VF34.

The '34, combined w/ the 750s, 3" exhaust, & giant "Godspeed" TMIC looks to be an easy 300/300TQ and should handily kick a "stage II" STI's arse.

Picking it up tomorrow, stay tuned!
default_dry.png

XXX

stiXXX

Kinetic done GOOD!

Roughly 300WHP/300TQ in adjusted dyno pulls last night, YAYYYYYYY!!!

default_additional_punch.gif
default_biggrin.png

Note:

What most in the market for a WRX FAIL to consider is the EJ20's frequent propensity to needlessly detonate past 100k, & the WRX' glass 5-speed...

A 100K WRX is a car you need $5K in the bank, or on a credit card, to own "safely"-& AAA is a very good idea, as well.

I just spent +$2000 on a new EJ25 install & tune to replace a MINT EJ20

that detonated for NO GOOD REASON AT ALL with 105K.

One owner, ALL records, MINT, dealer serviced since new w/ an extended warranty, synth oil since mile 0001-and it shat on Christmas day at 30MPH.

Luckily, I had a 36k, mint '06 LGT motor in the barn-but a new TurboSmart BPV (Perrin for the FAIL, as usual!) the tune ($400) and new 750 DW injectors, combined with other odds and ends (approx. $450 in Kinetic labor, plus Mikey's install fee) left me with a $1,520.00 bill at Kinetic, and WELL over $2000 for the whole swap-AND I ALREADY OWNED THE MOTOR! (ouch, my arse!!)

If you think for a SECOND that an "$8k WRX" with 120k miles won't need $3-5,000 w/in a short time, I'm sorry, but you're fooling yourselves.

New Motor- $2500-$15,000*

New STI tranny- $3-$5000*

Clutch-$400-$2500+ *

*Plus install costs like:

Motor-$750+

Tranny-$500+

Clutch-$350+

Tune-$400-$500+

It's not nearly the "bargain" it seems, especially because 90% of all WRX & STI's get the SNOT beat out of them!

My .02

XXX

Berge56

That sucks Stixxx. Looks like you got some nice power now. When do you hit full boost?

My stock 205 is still running strong at 107k. I plan on doing the timing belt, water pump and idlers along with a lot of mods this winter.

I think its the luck of the draw with these cars as I have been stage 2 since 12k and I bought the car new.

Good luck with the new setup!

Meyagi

I'm a hack
from what ive read on nasioc, it seems that 2.0L that run mobil 1 5w30 tend to eat rod bearings, due to the thinness of the oil, and its low shear strength. Gregs car had mobil 1 in it before he got it, and once we started doing bolt on mods like intake,exhaust, uppipe, and the motor started to make more power, the bearings started to wear, eventually letting go.

There is a lot on controversy on what oil is best for a turbo subaru.

Berge56

from what ive read on nasioc, it seems that 2.0L that run mobil 1 5w30 tend to eat rod bearings, due to the thinness of the oil, and its low shear strength. Gregs car had mobil 1 in it before he got it, and once we started doing bolt on mods like intake,exhaust, uppipe, and the motor started to make more power, the bearings started to wear, eventually letting go.

There is a lot on controversy on what oil is best for a turbo subaru.
I agree Mike. I run amsoil syntehtic personally. Been on it since 6k and never had a issue since.
default_smile.png

stiXXX

Meyagi nicely ported the VF34 and VIOLA! No more boost creep!

What's left?

1) Go to Kinetic, tweak tune (add boost!)

2) Add: 6K HIDs to fogs.

3) Change oil to Amsoil 5-30 FTW

Then, finally...

DONE!!!!
default_biggrin.png

stiXXX

The WRX runs GREAT now, and about 5# more boost is on the way via Kinetic. It's only 70WHP < than my STI & the VF34 spools whipass quick, it's a beast w/ the 2.5's TQ! With the new suspension it's a dream! XXX

KLRSMRF

The WRX runs GREAT now, and about 5# more boost is on the way via Kinetic. It's only 70WHP < than my STI & the VF34 spools whipass quick, it's a beast w/ the 2.5's TQ! With the new suspension it's a dream! XXX
Sounds pretty wicked!!

stiXXX

Off to Kinetic to finish off the tune & do a few dyno pulls tomorrow, more on this afterwards.

default_tongue.png

Latest posts

Back