The unofficial GUN talk thread

smelt240

Ok, so if I was to build one....

First, do I need the stamp(s) before I begin, or do I need a receiver, and have a suppressor paid for, to have a serial numbers to go with the SBR and suppressed stamps?

Next, would I be better off to just do it as a suppressed pistol, with a wrist brace, or am I asking for trouble later, when the feds decide a wrist brace is a stock?

Finally, if I go the build route, Id like to go 7.62x39, on the Hydra platform, but is .300 blackout really that much better for what Im looking to do?

I was going to go over to G3 to ask about this, but figured I can start here, then Ill go check out suppressors.

Nate

Founding Father
Don't waste your time at G3... for a class 3 dealer, they suck.

Let me try to answer this stuff little by little. A phone call might be easier, NFA stuff can be complex but rewarding.

If you want to have an SBR and a suppressor, it's a tax stamp for each item. $200 a pop. Different tax forms. I could explain better.

The arm brace debate is heating up right now. I would lay off that at the moment. It isn't a replacement for a stock. My SBR is much more functional.

I could speak to you about you cartridge choice.. personally I wouldn't recommend x39 for a suppressed cartridge. 300aac is FAR better suited. You can buy subsonic loads regularly, but it's expensive. And honestly I still don't think x39 is a great choice for AR15 platform. The cartridge just isn't built for it.

Give be a ring sometime. Too many questions unanswered in your post. 2one2-nine7six6.

smelt240

Yeah, Ill give you a call soon, I went on the ATF site yesterday, seems fairly straightforward. I think Im going to go with the .300, and maybe a 9mm upper as well. I have access to a really nice reloading setup, so we can load up or down, but being able to buy factory ammo that works is a plus.. Thanks a lot!

Nate

Founding Father
Finished up my 14.5" mid length, lightweight rifle build. Some basics are:

BCM enhanced lightweight barrel

BCM low pro gas block, and gas tube

BCM mod1 brake

BCM charging handle

Midwest Industries 12" M-lok rail

MI upper

FailZero bolt

Leupold VX-R Patrol, Larue mount

Magpul PRO offset irons

Windham Weaponry lower

Geissele Tricon trigger

BADASS selector

Battle Arms takedown pins

Seekins bolt catch, mag release

PWS enhanced buffer tube

Magpul SL furniture

Soon as the Magpul M-lok offset mount shows up, I'll toss on a 500 lumen Inforce WML. As it sits, the gun is just a smidge over 7lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuddyWRX

Remington 700 or AR 10 both in 308 for deer/moose/bear out to 300 yards max plus a general fun gun year round? 300 blackout is tempting but until the ammo is more plentiful I'm holding off.

Nate

Founding Father
Ammo is on the rise... I bought a 1000 rounds of 150 grain soft point, supersonic for $.55/rounds. I like it because it's still in AR15 platform not AR10. Lightweight is better.

On another note.. I might be starting a Rem700 bolt gun build.

Nate

Founding Father
Meh...Not worried.  Proving intent will be near impossible.  I own a stamped SBR.... I built my pistol to be a pistol, and fully intended on it being a pistol from inception.

inski

Damn.  I have to put the 6.8 build on hold again.
default_frown.gif
   Might be going to and/or saving for college.
default_biggrin.png

I'm reading here and there that there might be a law suit regarding this pistol arm brace issue.  Also, there were other manufacturers ready to unveil their arm braces at the shot show.  And, manufacturers are still selling their pistols with braces on them. 

i-wagon

I still want to build an ar. Other things have taken priority, like working way too much and needing that money to possibly rent an excavator. Shot my .40a while back, still pretty much right on with no practice/dry fire trigger discipline

Nate

Founding Father
So I picked up a new training gun project. Glock 34 Gen4, and a Trijicon RMR. The package is headed to ATEi for some major slide milling work. Give me a couple weeks.

inski

bratman what do you have?  I know you have th ArPistol, what else?  sorry, I don't do well paying attention.

Nate

Founding Father
Well... the wait is over. My Glock 34 is back from it's road trip to Michigan. And she's looking good.

Latest posts

Back