Turbo Upgrade

Visonik

So, I've been thinking of upgrading my turbo pretty much since I got the car back from Mike. He recommended the VF39, and I know it's fairly common to do so. In my research, I stumbled across some info on a TD04 19T. Does any one have any experience with this set up? There's info on Nasioc, but I was curious if anyone on here has used this.

Visonik

Vf30/34/39... All pretty much the same and super fun.
I was going to do a VF39, but then I saw the Dyno results of a TD04 19T. It spools way faster than the VF39 and I can still hit my power goals close to 300 whp. There's lots more info on Nasioc and examples of the VF39, but the 19T sounds way cool. Not to mention it seems a bit cheaper.

This picture was on Nasioc, I don't own it, I don't know if that's in issue... but the solid lines are the TD04 19T and the dotted lines are the VF39.

Ooooo.jpg

The TD04 mods list is:

Stock 2.0l

TD04-19T ported and clipped

Ver 8 JDM TMIC

Stock air box with Subaru AA080 filter 

GM EBCS

APS turbo inlet 

Pink Injectors 

STi up-pipe

Stock mid-pipe to Prodrive Axle back with a Invidia down-pipe 

VF39:

Stock 2.0l

VF-39

e-bay TMIC

APS 65mm cold air 

Pink Injectors 

catless up-pipe

full 3" turbo back 

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Might be fine. I would be concerned about that torque curve on an otherwise stock block if you plan to abuse it at all. Definitely will need a solid tune to be long-term reliable.

Visonik

Might be fine. I would be concerned about that torque curve on an otherwise stock block if you plan to abuse it at all. Definitely will need a solid tune to be long-term reliable.
I don't plan on abusing it... When I had the work done, Meyagi said he's been running a VF39 on the same 2.2 block. His was used, mine is new, so I have an advantage there. He has it in his Ken Block car, so he's been beating on it for about 3 years, he told me. I definitely don't want to push it to it's limit, since it's a daily.

I was drawn to the TD04-19T since it spools faster. I'd rather get the power faster than have a lot of power overall.

RyanR

My torque curve comment is related to the TD04-19T.  The vf39 would be fine.  Folks run those all day long no issues. 

Spool/power faster means more force on the rods/bearings.  Just saying that IMO it'd be risky without the right tune on stock internals.  Don't want that power slamming on.  Needs to be smooth.  If it was forged rods/pistons I'd throw power at it as fast as it wouldn't knock ;-)

Visonik

My torque curve comment is related to the TD04-19T.  The vf39 would be fine.  Folks run those all day long no issues. 

Spool/power faster means more force on the rods/bearings.  Just saying that IMO it'd be risky without the right tune on stock internals.  Don't want that power slamming on.  Needs to be smooth.  If it was forged rods/pistons I'd throw power at it as fast as it wouldn't knock ;-)
Oh, I see what you mean. You're not worried about the torque, you're worried about the torque hitting fast.. That's a good point.

It would definitely be going down to Kinetic for a solid tune. Are you worried that it's an N/A block rather than the 2.0 turbo block or just that it's not built regardless of the block?

Visonik

You're not running a 2L turbo block?
No sir. I have a phase 2, 2.2l. Bought it brand new from the dealer, it now has about 12k miles on it. They made me choose a specific car, so according to them it's from a 1998 impreza. I got a solid tune for it from Kinetic after the break in period. It runs awesome and the tuner said I'm making about 50 more horsepower than a 2.0 wrx with the same mods.

RyanR

Neat. I don't have any experience with n/a block turbo 2.2s so I can't speak about what it will actually take. Guess my input is null and void! How much boost do you have to run to make that power? Any idea on current EGTs or AFRs?

If it was mine, I would probably stick to being happy with 50hp more than a 2L turbo. I always prefer reliability to performance for daily drivers.

Visonik

Neat. I don't have any experience with n/a block turbo 2.2s so I can't speak about what it will actually take. Guess my input is null and void! How much boost do you have to run to make that power? Any idea on current EGTs or AFRs?

If it was mine, I would probably stick to being happy with 50hp more than a 2L turbo. I always prefer reliability to performance for daily drivers.
Realistically, by the time I get to do this, it won't be a daily anymore. I was hoping to do the upgrade in two or three years, but figured I should do my research and have some sort of a plan in place long before that. I definitely want to keep it reliable, even if it's no longer my daily, but I wouldn't want to deal with having it off the road and having to trailer it to Kinetic unless I have another car on the road.

I'm going to be contacting my tuner and to ask if he has any experience with the TD04-19L. It seems like a logical step. I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with it first, though.

Visonik

I'm building my new motor and am using a Bloch TD05-16gxt which flows better than vf39. New for 950.00!
I didn't see this until just now.. To get the TD04-19T, you have to send in the stock TD04 to Blouch and they rebuild it with different internals and throw a little witch craft in there, and then you come out with a 19T. On NASIOC, they said it cost 350 for the rebuild, and a couple guys actually bought turbos that needed a rebuild anyways for 100 bucks, so they didn't have to be without their car while the got the upgrade. i'd rather spend the 450 than 950
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back