what type of oil?

XDIRTYX

so im going to switch from a synthetic blend to full next oil change and was wondering what everyone uses. i was thinking royle purple or amsoil any suggestions are cool.

2point5RS_Dan

HATER DAN
I've been using Mobile 1 for a while now, just did an oil change this week. There's a lot of controversy over it though.

COSTIGAN86

The slippery kind
default_additional_bsflag.gif
. I use Mobil1 cause I get it free. No its not stolen. But I have heard of people switching to Mobil1 and having oil consumption problems. I haven't had any problems in 20,000 miles of it. So use with discretion...

stiXXX

Amsoil 0-50

There is No Other Choice, IMO.

-----Added 8/21/2009 at 06:24:39-----

Good for 7000 miles, btw...

Trevor723

Amsoil 0-50There is No Other Choice, IMO.

-----Added 8/21/2009 at 06:24:39-----

Good for 7000 miles, btw...
How long do you think the filter is good for though?

-----Added 8/21/2009 at 09:39:30-----

I just switched to Motul 5w-40 full synthetic, mainly because I am using their gear oil and am very happy with the results. Does it matter? Probably not all that much, let's be honest.

mmmmotul.jpg

chappy

Penzoil Platnium 5w-30 at Walmart. 5qt jug for 20 bucks... Cant beat it. Has a good amount of detergents that help remove engine sludge. That, along with a Bosch filter from Autozone and Im good for 3500 miles.

ryan13

I used mobil one for 2 oil changes and lost an average of 2 quarts in between oil changes. I have since switched to the Castrol Full synthetic in the black bottle ( i forget the actual name) and I hardly consume any at all. I highly reccommend this stuff.

BluWRX02

Im with ryan im currently using Rotella T 10w40, previously was using Motul, but they stopped carrying it at Evergreen.

STInate

Baxley’s Speed Shop
I was running rotella 5w40 but switched to amsoil 5w30. They are both awesome I just think the amsoil will be a little better performance wise and it sketched me out running diesal truck oil in my car.

Ryan

I was running rotella 5w40 but switched to amsoil 5w30. They are both awesome I just think the amsoil will be a little better performance wise and it sketched me out running diesal truck oil in my car.
Our engines love it though
default_frown.gif
The only thing Rotella can really damage in our cars are the cats (not a problem if you're catless obviously..)

Nate

Founding Father
i swapped from motul (was down a quart after 2500 miles) to mobile one. dont know how i feel about it.

ALWAYS ran rotella t in my motorcycles. they loved it. shifted smoother (gears are in the motor oil) ran quieter.

now that i run synthetic.... how bad would it be to swap to rotella t?

Ryan

i swapped from motul (was down a quart after 2500 miles) to mobile one. dont know how i feel about it.
ALWAYS ran rotella t in my motorcycles. they loved it. shifted smoother (gears are in the motor oil) ran quieter.

now that i run synthetic.... how bad would it be to swap to rotella t?
Rotella T 5w-40 is synthetic
default_biggrin.png

XDIRTYX

a subaru tech told me mobil 1 burns a quart every oil change and im holding a grudge with exxon mobil for never paying the money they owe for their oil spills like in alaska

RyanR

///|||\\\|||///|||\\&#092
Different oils work differently in each individual car. The best way to find the oil for yours is to try a few out, and send in samples to Blackstone Labs. You're not going to "damage" your engine as long as you use name brand quality oils.

Like someone has already stated in this thread, Mobil1 is known for oil consumption issues but they aren't limited to subaru. Mobil1 is a very "thin" oil, try putting some in a cup next to say Rotella T "thick" or Amsoil "medium". They both may have the same "weights" but their formula at room temp has a different "thickness" to it. I'd call it viscosity, but that term would pertain to the weight (5w-30 etc..)

I would stick with the factory recommended weight for the testing. I tried Mobil1, Motul, and Amsoil. None of the oils did poorly at all, but out of those three my engine seemed to like the Amsoil best. Combine this with my hatred of Mobil1 hehe and needless to say, I'll be running Amsoil 5w-30 unless I find something else that works well. The next oil I'd like to try out is Pentosin 5w-30. It's a European diesel oil that I had great luck with in my VW/Audi high performance apps.

default_biggrin.png

-----Added 8/22/2009 at 07:11:19-----

just an FYI, diesel truck oils generally have higher API service ratings than gas motor oils. This means they're a better quality oil with less shear and the ability to withstand a lot more abuse. Rotella is a great diesel oil, but for gas engines it seems a bit thick for me. I'll get that Pentosin coming and see how she likes it. It has a consistency very close to castrol syntec, but carries that higher quality API service rating suited for diesel and is a true full synthetic, not a hydrocracked semi-synthetic like castrol syntec.

Latest posts

Back