fitting 225/70R15 Grabber AT2's on a 2013 WRX

stockish

i'm in the process of lifting my 2013 WRX Hatch. probably with some 2" anderson design fabrication strut top spacers (and trailing arm spacers). the goal being able to fit some 225/70R15 General Grabber AT2 tires on the car with no rubbing issues. The wheels I have in mind are the following:

http://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/rally-wheels/products/mr502-rally-vt-spec

15" rally wheels that clear the calipers, +15mm offset.

The idea is that i'd gain 2" of vertical clearance from the spacers since the suspension travel won't change, and i'm pretty sure the offset will allow the tires to clear the perch (maybe not).

Any thoughts on how it will actually fit? I'm expecting some rubbing, but I'm hoping nothing a quick fender roll/fender liner molding (heat gun + hammer) can't fix.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
They should fit no problem. There are guys running that size on crosstreks with no lift and they fit fine, with thus of the wheels you're wanting to buy. So with a 2" lift, you shouldn't have any issues especially with that offset. Good choice on the lift kit too!

stockish

They should fit no problem. There are guys running that size on crosstreks with no lift and they fit fine, with thus of the wheels you're wanting to buy. So with a 2" lift, you shouldn't have any issues especially with that offset. Good choice on the lift kit too!
Hopefully that is the case, I'm thinking that at full lock the fronts will rub the liner. It'd be nice if the tires didn't rub the actual fender though, which I don't know if that will be the case because of the lower offset wheels.

Do you notice a significant difference in acceleration with the larger tires?

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
but the crosstrek and wrx are 2 completely different body sytles

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
i can tell you this. without a lift on my 2008 STi(same bady as your wrx, i fit 215/55-17 without any rubbing without any lift. with the 225/70-15, those are about an inch larger in diameter than my winters, and 2 inches in diameter larger than your stocks, although 10 mm skinier

stockish

i can tell you this. without a lift on my 2008 STi(same bady as your wrx, i fit 215/55-17 without any rubbing without any lift. with the 225/70-15, those are about an inch larger in diameter than my winters, and 2 inches in diameter larger than your stocks, although 10 mm skinier
10 mm skinnier and 40 mm further away from the spring perch with the method wheels. Sounds like may as well test fit it before going through with it. will town fair tires test fit tires?

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
They're different body styles, but with the loft it should still be fine. As you said, maybe some slight rubbing on the liner. I have these tires on my Loyale with a 4" lift. I also have 215 70 16 grabbers on my forester, and when I first had them on, they fit with a 2" lift. They're both right around 27.5" tall. I just think with the offset you're talking about getting, they'll fit. Talk to ADF a little and see what he says or if he has any experience with that model.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
10 mm skinnier and 40 mm further away from the spring perch with the method wheels. Sounds like may as well test fit it before going through with it. will town fair tires test fit tires?
i don't know that they will or not, i kind of went on a whim with the 55's, almost did 225 55, but price was right and less chance of rubbing. can't get much sidewall when the smallest rim you can run is a 17

stockish

I've been in contact with ADF, awesome customer service (considering i haven't even bought the lift kit yet). He said he hasn't had too much experience with my exact model, but was concerned about spring perch clearance. I did some quick REAL rough measurements and I'm pretty sure the perch should not be an issue with the +13 wheel offset. 

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
well the spring perch is stationary, it doesn't move, and at least with mine, i don't know how different the wrx struts are from the STi ones are, but i have at least another inch or two of clearance, but it will not clear the mud guard of the inner fenders when the wheel is turned.

stockish

well the spring perch is stationary, it doesn't move, and at least with mine, i don't know how different the wrx struts are from the STi ones are, but i have at least another inch or two of clearance, but it will not clear the mud guard of the inner fenders when the wheel is turned.
yeah i know, if it clears the perch at all it should be good (beside any wheel flex or whatever you want to call it). I agree on the fender liner, I'm wondering if it would be as simple as heating them up and reshaping them to avoid rubbing, or if the actual wheel well will hinder that.

stockish

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37174829&postcount=2646

^^^that guy managed to fit 235/60R17 on a 17x8 +28 offset wheel on an '08 STI with only a 1" lift and had to do the follow: 

"I had the fenders rolled way before hand, then after doing some test fitting/driving through a dip at the tire parking lot I had to massage the pinch weld in the front wheel well and slightly trim the rocker but not much. Now it I have no rubbing at all it drives just fine. With the stock STi springs still on it and with these tires having really good sidewalls it still handles pretty good"

So it seems like it's possible, not sure what he means by trim the rocker? and the pinch weld? Also, would +13 offset be detrimental? Actually pushing the tire into the outside fender itself? 

Just trying to go through all of the details before i drop any money on this. I also have a decent amount of time as I don't need new tires until next spring time.

Latest posts

Back