How bad do you beat on your car?

Matt

So it's private land then..... Trust me, I wouldn't want to be the guy to screw up NEFR so I won't be out there but it would of been cool.

SurlyOBS

How bad you can beat on your car depends on a few factors: Safety, legality and the size of your wallet. Balance all three and have fun! I've driven every vehicle I've owned hard enough to learn it's limits. Some limits are learned the hard way. You break stuff and then fix it. I learned on the dirt drive that running a loud subie at redline sure sounds nice, but driving like that for 200 miles is not so good. I knew I was pushing it a bit hard that day and was not surprised that I broke something. WOT sounds nice in that car! Yeah, I don't drop the clutch on tarmac and I don't drive like a fool on public roads, but there's a lot of other fun to be had. I actually look forward to winter because you can test out the limits of your car easier and big snowbanks keep the damage to a minimum if you make mistakes.

I don't think that driving my Subaru with gusto counts as "beating on it" because it's made to be driven. It's worse to never fully appreciate the talent that an AWD Subie has and just drive it to and from work and the mall...I get sad when I see Subie that you can tell will never see dirt and will never have the tach reach the redline.

Iboc_C64

I like the fact that my Suby will take my driving style, compared to my last vehicle. Only cosmetic issues, no mechanical issues on the Sube. Contrast that with my last car which was a pontiac a daily driver that never saw dirt unless it was at 25mph. I still own that car, it is on its 2nd engine, 3rd transmission, 3 Suspension, 4th clutch, 4th power steering pump, 2nd steering rack, 2nd CV shafts, 2nd Wheel Bearings, 2nd Alternator, 3rd set of head lamp bulbs..... The list goes on and on. That cars plastic parts where heavy as hell but nearly indistructable. The suby seems to be mechanically reliable, just dont bump in to anything because the sheet metal is thin, the paint peels easily and the plastic can shatter durring collision if its cold out. But, it is a lightweight car with excessive horsepower, so I got what I expected.

Rallytech14

subies a resilient as heck. if you didnt see my thread i hit a deer about a month ago. messed my car up hard. i did all the body work and everything finally got it back on the road, noticed it skipping. when i hit the deer it broke my timing belt case, the pieces when right into my cam gears, causing my belt to skip 4 teeth each on both left side cams. didnt realize how bad it was until i got back to mass. drove for 2 weeks like that. misfiring real bad, barely ran. got me to school and work for two weeks, then back home so i could finally reset the belt

Last edited by a moderator:

ReZDoG

I'm not ReZPunk
I plead the 5th on this one... k who am I fooling.. I just got back from taking the new(ish) WRX out for a little snow drive.. we got about a foot of fresh snow on all my logging roads...
default_banana.gif
:banana:
default_banana.gif
:banana:
default_banana.gif

04fxt

anyone who has followed me on the group drives knows how I drive... and I drive like that pretty much all the time.

They put the rev limiter there for a reason, and I use it daily. Never had a problem.

edit: I think it's fair to mention that I have my car on the lift twice a week checking for potential problems, adn I also change my oil every 1500 miles..
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey

mine only has 1200 on it nonturbo so not as spirited as most of you and black it proubly be awile b4 i beat on it but i cant wait till snow:)

MikeD

N/A All The Way!!
I have fun when the car seats are empty...other than that I drive like I'm 80-years-old riding in an old Buick...parenthood!

Spiller1327

I don't ever beat on my car I drive it like it was built to be driven. Over 270 k now and I e brake and clutch dump almost every day. 6 grand shifts and tire smoking launches often. Car runs like it was right out of the factory. Subies (well atleast gcs) are built to withstand loads of sh!t. I went through a new set of Cooper tires in just this summer. Ray can testify for all of these things. It's really what makes a Subaru a Subaru!!!!!!!

JlyonsSTI

If you don't "beat" on your car you will never realize its potential or your own. I have a 98 legacy gt wagon that i've driven the piss out of. I used to take dirt roads/snowmobile trails home from work everyday. Makes a long commute fun.... Sometimes i'd get bored and just do laps around the neighbor hood (al dirt roads). The car is capable of a lot more than you think. Don't let life pass you by. Use the e-brake, double clutch, toe heel, left foot brake, have some fun and really learn how to drive.... Its a lot more fun than dumping the clutch in second gear. ...

My STI is capable of ten times more than what my wagon was, but its awesome because i can still have fun without even pushing it close to the edge.... The only way to know what the "edge" is, is to hammer on her....

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I've beet my 96 legacy pretty hard, and it's still holding up just fine... well, the tires aren't
default_smile.png

But without some abuse I'd never know it's limits or mine.

skipow

i honestly cant tell which of you guys are joking around (6k dumps everyday? really?) and who's being serious...
default_wink.png

i drive hard, but im not abusive.

Latest posts

Back