MY04 RS

42012RS

Got some 04 XT struts installed and replaced my rear brake pads over the weekend. Car rides nice but rubs the skirts pretty hard when the rear tires drop below resting position. Gonna keep the miles off it until I get an alignment which will be within the next couple weeks. Not sure if I will see the car with any daylight so pics might not be on until this weekend. 3.5 inches of total lift at the top of the wheel arch

For anyone wanting to do a lift, it went very easily on my 04 with 160k. Had to torch one bolt and it was fine to reuse. Took the old struts out and popped the new ones in. I'm willing to help anyone looking to do this

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

42012RS

I scheduled an alignment, two weeks out so i can get some camber bolts for my rear end incase they're needed.

Hoping you guys have some info,

1. Can I just drill out one side of my rear strut bolt holes and the hub to accept an OEM camber bolt or should I go with aftermarket? I feel more comfortable using OEM as they look a lot sturdier and Ive read about shearing aftermarket bolts.

2. With a lifted setup should I run any camber or toe? I think I will end up going 0 on both all around since fast cornering is not what this setup is going for and i would like to save on tire the best i can

42012RS

Couple poor quality pics for you guys, hopefully I get some where to take good/action pics this weekend!

u6ytypeb.jpg

e3u6e2a2.jpg

42012RS

Got a box of parts from z1auto last week so I will update this. Im getting excited to be able to drive the subie again after letting it sit for almost a year.

So far I have gotten a head gasket set and timing belt kit. Still waiting on the clutch kit to show up. I was gonna do a high compression build but decided to hold off. I'm going to be getting an ej253 block and a set of 251 heads from members on here and will be refreshing and using them so I can plan something for the motor I pull out.

I haven't treated this car the best but hopefully with a fresh motor and a bunch of maintenance I will be ontrack to making it last a while.

42012RS

Small update

Ended up with a fully disassembled ej253. Its currently at the machine shop being inspected.

I am having second thoughts about doing a build at the moment. I am worried the stock pistons will be too small for the honed block, I should've taken some measurements before sending the motor off but I didnt know what I know now. I also came across an 84mm crankshaft and decided I have to have more stroke. I am not going with the 84mm Cosworth crank seeing as it has a price tag of $4k, so the best I can do is an 83mm from Manley which is still pricey around 1500. I feel it is worth putting the build on hold for if I plan to keep this N/A, which today I do. So, I am going to actually look into what all my motor sounds may be. If they originate from the heads, I'll just swap them out so I can save the build for when I get the crank.

That said, what are your opinions on increasing stroke? Any downfalls? I am shooting for power low in the rpm range say 2k-4k.

Also, I know 100mm is the factory limit on bore but with proper ptw clearance and ring gap, would it be all that unreliable to go over that(in a non-turbo application)? IIRC I read of a larger displacement kit that calls for 103.XX mm bores. Didn't see anything about sleeves. I would probably go to 102mm max.

With increased bore and stroke I also plan on high comp pistons, delta cams most likely 1000 grind unless they want to try a custom low-mid range cut. Also machining the combustion chambers to match the bore/pistons, 3+ angle valve grind, light porting of intake and exhaust ports and port-matching everything. One minor drawback will be that I am not giving up the UEL header. I don't think I will care about the 10hp or so I will be missing out on.

From what I have read, I believe the final result will put as much power to the ground with 29" mud tires as a stock wrx. But this isn't gonna be built to race, it's gonna be a capable trail rig/dd/head turner.

One last thought, how much of an expected power difference would there be in a motor with a 79strokex99.5bore and 12:1 comp ratio and an 83x100 12:1?

Enough from me for now. Just waiting to hear from the machine shop at this point.

blmpkn

Pascifist Patriot
Can't help you with that technical mumbo jumbo, but damn your cars looking good man! Monster truck like Matt said.

42012RS

Thanks! Hopefully she will be running great and sitting taller by the end of the spring but we'll see.

I just want to throw in here that Adam from Z1performance has been a huge help answering my many noob and engineer level questions and helping me choose parts for the motor build. My build is a lot different from any other subaru build and he has been able to answer just about everything.

42012RS

On hold for now. Decided to buy another subie. Got to fix some rust and get it inspected then I will be getting back to this one!

I was reading through your plans. The later n/a ej25 engines all have a 10:1 CR. You mention going to a 12:1 CR. from owning a higher compression engine I will say to remember to run 91 octane to reduce the chances of knock/pre detonation. Should be a fun car once it is done.

42012RS

I was reading through your plans. The later n/a ej25 engines all have a 10:1 CR. You mention going to a 12:1 CR. from owning a higher compression engine I will say to remember to run 91 octane to reduce the chances of knock/pre detonation. Should be a fun car once it is done.
Posting my plans in other forums, a lot of people think the compression will be too high for pump gas. Not sure if I still want to go for it or do a supercharged build. If I do either it will be in my coupe now as I am set on getting a 3.0 in this one

Posting my plans in other forums, a lot of people think the compression will be too high for pump gas. Not sure if I still want to go for it or do a supercharged build. If I do either it will be in my coupe now as I am set on getting a 3.0 in this oneSent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
12:1 should be fine on 91/93 as long as you get tuning straight. The BRZ/FR-S engines run 12.5:1 and people have deleted the direct injection without issues with proper compensation from the port injectors.

42012RS

Next week I should have a quote on getting the ej253 heads rebuilt. They've been cleaned and pressure tested, good to go. When they're ready I am going to throw them on my 251 block with new gaskets and a clutch. Until then I'll be teaching myself to weld, fixing rust on the new car!

Last edited by a moderator:

42012RS

Picked up a few more parts, might pull the motor soon, maybe. Lol

I've got rebuilt 251 heads, an STi oil pan, pick up, baffle, and dipstick now. Should get around to getting this work done before the end of the year, unless I decide to hold off to get more parts. My coupe is beyond what I consider repairable with rust damage, at least with my skills and resources, so I want to get this car done and either part/sell that one or find a rust free shell with no motor or drivetrain.

42012RS

So the car has died(timing belt snapped), but this project hasn't!

Motor is at the machine shop. As of Friday, one cylinder was big enough to fit the new piston. With the other three matched, crank, rods and pistons will be balanced and the bottom end assembled, with new OEM bearings. And new OEM bolts because I couldn't help myself! I stop by Quirk almost weekly to order odds and ends that I come across, or rather don't come across in my piles of hardware...

Right now i'm held up on the motor really. Don't want to spend anymore until I see what this is gonna cost me.

I am currently looking for some parts though if anyone has any...

EJ251 valve covers

Oil Pressure gauge.. Something to match basic green or sti red cluster. interested in oil temp and wideband too but those aren't pre-startup necessary to me

Stock Cat pipe with good cats, not too rusty

A small, older laptop that would be good for strictly Romraider/logging stuff

16-18" wheels, knock-offs are great. looking for something cheap for daily winter beatings.

42012RS

Well I finally got a motor into the car and she's running! Sounds good and no leaks. Haven't driven it yet but I'll put on some miles this weekend.

No pics but everything is stock except the pistons. I went with 1.25mm Cometic head gaskets which puts my compression around 11.44:1. STi head gaskets would put it around 12.6:1 so next time I might bump it up somewhere in between there.

Last edited by a moderator:

42012RS

Well I ran into an electrical issue. Car was idling fine, pulled it out of the garage and as I was getting out it stalled. Fuel pump won't prime and the relay just buzzes, must be turning on an off rapidly from fluctuating voltage. I replaced the pump and relay just incase, even though all the FSM tests except voltage to the pump tested fine. But now I am tracking things down with the Multimeter. I'm thinking it is a bad ground, poor connection in a connector, or the ECU has an issue/short. I'm a newb with a MM but I have read and learned a lot over the weekend lol

42012RS

So I did get this thing figured out after a short time, it was a ground. I'm glad I got the chance to learn my multimeter for the first time though!

I haven't done a whole lot since I got it back on the road. Put a few thousand thousand miles on. Got trampled by a moose. Light damage to the front bumper and passenger doors, lost the side mirror and dented the fender pretty good. Got a new passenger fender from Greenpoint in Brewer. Bought a side mirror from Nate and a pair of doors off a friend. Fender is on, slacking on the rest.

I installed a new cat I got off eBay from Eastern Catalytic. Nothing behind it for now as I decided not to cut up the stock 93 impreza catback I picked. I traded an AEM uego to Josh for a welding job when I get my future exhaust parts together, which I need to get on as my inspection ran out with the arrival of the new month. She needs some more love too but I am a bit limited to what I can tackle right now.

I picked up a 2007 Forester X in early June. I like it quite a bit! I'll get a journal up for that at some point... maybe lol

Anyway, I am starting a new job at the beginning of September. I will have more free time during the day to get some work done and hopefully get out to meets!

Latest posts

Back